1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

PC V & auto tune question

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by So Cal SM450R rider, Jun 18, 2010.

1. So Cal SM450R rider Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey everyone, I just got a PC V With Auto Tune and I was wondering where to hook up the red wire from the Auto Tune. The directions say it needs to be hooked up to a switched power source. I was thinking about the tail light, but I'm not sure which wire is the correct one to use. My bike is an 08 450. Any suggestions?
  2. nocontrol Husqvarna
    B Class

Have a volt meter? I hooked it to the power on my tail light on my 09 but I do not remember which color wire it was or if it is the same as the 08. Also remember to install the blank plug into the empty expansion port of the autotune module or it will not work.
  3. So Cal SM450R rider Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for the info. I didn't have the blank plug in but I do now. I don't have a volt meter either so I guess I'll have to get one.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Everyone should have a voltmeter, or as they are normally called these days a DVM (digital volt meter). Radio shack, home depot, automotive stores. They should be available for $15 or less.

Really handy for many uses for bikes and around the house. :)

Just find any wire that is switched.
  5. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    on my 09 the blue tail light wire is hot when the bike is running, and cold when the key is on but its not running.
  6. So Cal SM450R rider Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks for the info man. I'll try it out. :cheers:
  7. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    no problem.
    the only thing I wasnt sure of is if the PCV needs switched power that works when the key is on and not running. the lights dont turn on until the bike fires up (except the little one in the headlight)

but if the PCV doesnt need to function until after it starts to work proper, the blue taillight wire should work fine.
    (provided the 08 and 09 have the same wiring)
  8. Mine, '09 TE450, is hot when the key is on, running or not, blue wire that is.
  9. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    does your lights come on when you turn the key but the engine is off? ^^
  10. Just the tail running light and the little front bulb, no headlight, brake lights or turn signals.
  11. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    huh, thats weird
    mine is the same but there is no tail running light either.
    only my little front bulb comes on.
  12. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

I just installed a PCV and AT in my '08 510 and had the same questions. The Dynojet guy said that it should be switched and it doesn't matter if it's on with engine running or on with key on. He said it draws 2A to heat up, then .5A for operation.

I hooked my red wire up to a spot I prepared for another accessory, so can't help you with which wire to tap. You should have a DVM. They're only a few bucks at Harbor Freight.

It's a bit disappointing that Dynojet didn't do their research and provide this info in the installation guide. They installed one, dyno tested it, and took pictures for the installation manual, but didn't document this?
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I was there when the pictures were taken and instructions were written. I took the first few bikes there.

I assumed that simply telling people to look for a wire that was hot only while the key was on or bike running was simpler for people than to specify a specific wire. I believe that is true for most people.

• Tell people to look for a specific wire (which may change color during a production run) in a specific place, vs
    • Tell them to find a switched hot lead - then they can choose.

I apologize if that was the incorrect way to handle things.
  14. So Cal SM450R rider Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks everyone, I got it. For my 08 450 It was the yellow tail light wire. Mine also comes on with the key on but not running. PC V and auto tune is awesome. I had a rough spot at part throttle from 6200 to 7000rpm and now its smooth, everywhere. :cheers: For all you guys that have the AT, is 13.2 AFR the best setting for power? I already have motor work done and I am racing this bike more than I ride it on the street, so I'm not really concerned about fuel milage. Also, I'm running straight VP 4.2 or 4.4 and its oxygenated so should I change the AFR because of that? :excuseme: