1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

The bike just stops running

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by waserman, Jun 27, 2010.

1. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    :thumbsdown:Here it is;going down the trail come up on a downed tree jump off get low and lean bike towards me and stalls.WTF is going on now,push up hill under tree get the bike uprite and cycle on and off because it won't start,starts and stalls when I give it gas,and then tyhe fuel pump won't cycle and there is no fault code.I check the obvious,pull the seat,check fuses,look for something unplugged,pull the headlight and check wires,cycle power to the processor,check fuel.NO PUMP CYCLING I say to my buddy I leaned it towards my left to get under the tree,lets go for the oil out the head side and see what happens.I leaned it way over I was ready to throw it on its side,back up and it fires up.I am almost 100% sure that I have a problem with the fuel injection pump coming loose,maybe a wire braking but something in that area.I'm going in:excuseme:
  2. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    the fuel pump was so far out of the base that the part of the pump that fits into the filter was about 1/2 an inch above it,must have been out of the fuel,I didn't see any broken wires YET
  3. jaro51 Husqvarna
    A Class

My black ground wire connector broke on my SMR450 this weekend. My old '08 SMR did the same thing too. Even happened in the very same corner at the SM track too. Spooky! At least this time it only took 15 to fix this time rather than a week it took me last year to figure it out!
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Secure that pump in one of the many ways to your choosing like in this thread.

Glad you found the issue:thumbsup:
  5. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Yep I did the zipty lenthwise and threaded through the tabs after reseating the pump.This bike has been a royal PITA since I got it.The first time out 22 miles and the case saver towers snapped off clean at the case.That was while it was under warranty and fixed after some quality time in the shop 5-6 weeks.I then carefully "ran the motor back in",did all oil filter ect.The second trip out SJER dual sport,44 miles out flame out over log and stalled,not to restart until pushing to the road to be towed by another Huskey rider to a station to await the coming of the return vechicle.I was saved at the station by another TE510 rider,after many had tried all their known bike voodoo starting tricks and I thank all of you for your help and the knowledge I received from you.I was informed after several possible things that it could be,that my throttle body was not seated properly,as a result of the flameout and stall.That was an easy fix.The next time out 41 miles into it,and the reason I started this thread.I am now hoping that I'm done with the gremlins,not even 300 miles on the bike yet.
  6. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Things to search on that may be a gremlin yet: coil connections, battery tray, temp sensor,,,,efi settings Fb1 for 08 Co1,2,3 and for 09+. Just what I can think of now...
  7. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Yikes theres more to come.Which one will it be in the next 40 some mile ride.You mention coil connections,and fuel mapping?The fuel injection requires things I don't have;software and cables/connectors and the coil what's going on there?I may as well try to fix that before it does whatever.
  8. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    Just things to check and set up right- some won't have a problem with efi settings. Lots of variables and expectations.

My bike has been awesome! but I knew I had to address things durring set up- as with any new bike- and found some along the way. for instance I didn't have the fuel pump problem of it coming unscured- but wired it 1200 miles into it to prevent an issue. But found loose coil connections at about 8oo miles. The battery needs to be secured properly which can cause problems- but is pretty obvious when you look at it for the first time.
  9. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    I thought I had it all figured out and then the next time out,running down the local back roads trying to get enough miles on the bike to check adjust the valves and I stop to talk to a friend and bingo won't start back up until it cools down.The dash goes through its cycle and the fuel pump seems to short cycle during prime pump up.Turns over but no start.I take the tank back off check fuel injection pump again,look at all connections in the surrounding area all looks good.I put it back togater and fire it up ,7 mile ride all is well,back home and it dies right in front of the garage.Again it won't start,same as the last time.I come home later and it fires right up.ANY IDEAS
  10. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
  11. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

sounds like ignition.
  12. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Are the failure codes stored in the memory so that they could be read unless cleared?I have already purchased some relays and a temperature sensor.I know it's not the relays as I've already swapped them out with no change in the results,I expect the temperature sensor today or tomorrow.I can't believe all the issues with this bike,I just have 300 miles on the clock now.The ignition? Are we talking ECU,coil ? Thanks for the help
  13. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    What year bike TE510 are we discussing?

Failure codes are stored in ECU and can be read and cleared in the history by IBeat. NOt every problem displays a code or results in failure.

"Ignition" includes everything requred to make a spark.

But- I'd focus on common isses.
    Check for spark- blue?
    Check spark plug condition- clean?
    Check cap condition & clean?
    Cap wire. screwed into cap properly- screwed into coil properly
    good connections at coil- secure- I took mine appart cleaned it and tightend connections, they were a little loose- resulting in intermittant spark issues. (This is set up)

From there but less common is checking the coil resistance and such-

I would also have it hooked up to Ibeat for an initial set up at this point as the TPS is most likely off and may benifit from CO adjustments. AFTER being hooked up to Ibeat those settings should be pretty stable.
  14. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Sorry 09 Te510, power up kit installed from the dealer at new.I just got done checking the valves and they were all on the too loose side,300 miles on the bike.Stock from the factory with spark arrestor in place. I just got the new temp sensor,so I will be changing that out and will post results.The coil side of the ignition looks great from the coil and grounds on out to the plug. Thanks
  15. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    Fuel pump short cycling sounds like an issue. It should run steady for a certain period when you turn the key on.
  16. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I've had the hot start issue too and have no idea what the deal is. I was blaming it on the Power Commander, but am not so sure now.
  17. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    If you push the red button off and on with the ignition switch (key) on does the fuel pump cycle every time? I assumed we were past the pump issue. Another thing to check if this is the case is the switch- red button- could take it appart inspect and clean with contact cleaner.

The only issues I have had that effect the bike running properly have been too rich for conditions/expectations (fixxed by lowering CO settings with Ibeat). Coil grounds being not tight- they weren't loose but they were not tight allowing some corrosion to get inbetween connections. Not tight enough to create a good stable ground.

If the Coolant Temp Sensor is faulty it will definately cause poor starts and running issues. Curious to see what the results of replacing that are.
  18. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    The fuel pump will cycle flawlessly when you first start the bike or when it is cold.I was told by a dealer that the fuel injection relay could be faulty,and not working properly when the bike(and relays) gets hot due to the location of the relays right over the cylinder head.That's why I purchased some new ones and tried that.I just replaced the temp sensor and read about 1.6-1.7 k ohms when at about 75-80 degrees F,on the old one that I replaced.If I had been thinking I would have checked the new one before I put it in.I'll be back later with the results after I install the uptite Y and drive it around the neighborhood.
  19. waserman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW KTM Honda
    Well just got back from a short ride,all seems to be ok now.I'm not sure if it was the temperature sensor or the fact that I had so much stuff apart that I accidently found something loose and made better contact after putting it back togather again,but it seems to be ok.I also had put on the uptite y and found out that when they did the engine work in the shop that engine ice was not put back in the bike,normal Peak,Prestone,whatever was used to fill the system so that will be replaced with the engine ice real soon.I also know that my intake valves are out of spec on the loose side I don't have any 2.45-2.50 shims in the kit that I bought but am looking for some,hopefully they are the same as one of the big 4 brands as those shops are all over the place.I also swapped out all three relays,although I moved them around earlier this week with no positive benefit,but I had new ones so in they went.I know that my cooling system is functioning properly,fan,radiators ect. this was one of the first things I checked out and it seems to be fine.If I had to guess I would say the temp. sensor it was the last thing I did.I hope this one lasts longer than the last one 300 miles doesn't seem very durable and it would be a PITA to change trailside I don't usually carry a 17mm wrench with me.The other thing I will say is that the problems seem to have presented themselves when I had around a gallon or less of gas left in the tank.I don't know if this is just a coincidence. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for all the input
  20. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I understand the Honda shims are the same.
    Good come back now that all is fixed-hope it stays that way Mate.