1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Safari is going to do it!! 4 - 4.5 gallons

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by bajahusky, Feb 9, 2010.

1. GalacticGS Husqvarna
    AA Class

The fuel level is not really visible with the white tank (at least not when it's new); maybe if it fades a bit and on a really sunny day.

To me, it sure looks better than the transparent tank though; and I don't mind taking the cap off to check the level (which you don't have to do very often with the expanded range).
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Thanks!
  3. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

That's what I figured.

The White looks nice, while the transparent is more functional, but I'm afraid the transparent will turn an awful yellow like my IMS dd over time.
  4. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Has anyone contemplated adhering the factory red side panels to this new Sarfari tank similar to what has been done with the 3 gl IMS?
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I like the looks without the side panels. Something crisp and clean about it.

Obviously a subjective and personal opinion.
  6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Is it possible to remove the spark plug with this tank in place?
  7. GalacticGS Husqvarna
    AA Class

Haven't tried yet, and I'm currently in a different location from my bike, but I don't think so. On the other hand, you could have the tank off in probably less than 2 minutes to get access.
  8. Nemesis Husqvarna
    A Class

OK, I'll come out of the closet, so to speak. I've got the 2010 TE510 with the Safari tank oregonsage refers to. No real problems getting it on, I just took it slow and easy, checking for fit and not forcing anything. I do have the "tight seat" issue others have spoken of, I just needed to deepen the slot at the front of the seat for the fitting on the tank and on it goes. Still a tight fit but do-able. The only other issue concerns the fuel pump. I simply could not get the pump to fit into the tank oriented in the direction the Safari instructions intended. I think it was the fuel filter that was hanging it up, a simple 180 degree rotation allowed the pump to slip into place with minimal effort. But this put the red quick-disconnect fitting on the pump too far forward for the included fuel line to reach, as the fitting is not centered on the fuel pump base plate. To solve this I used the quick-disconnect fittings from the original fuel line, along with some BMW fuel injection hose I had laying around to build a slightly longer assembly.

I do love the greater range the Safari provides. I got over 170 miles before needing to gas up, and this was over several weeks and many short runs commuting, adequate warm-ups before pulling off, as well as lots of dinking around in the garage with the motor running.

Now for the mystery. What are folks with this tank seeing as the actual capacity? I initially filled the tank from a 6 gal. gas can in the garage, I only just filled it at a gas station after running it down quite low, low enough to expose the upper part of the fuel pump as seen through the filler hole. From that point to just below the fill cap was, according to the gas station pump, 4.771 gallons!! This is over 1/2 gallon more than the rated capacity of 4.22. Is this what others are seeing? Do I get an oversize one? Does the gas station need a visit from Oregon Weights and Measures???? :naughty:
  9. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just installed mine today. Much better fit and finish than the IMS I had before.

I had no problem installing the fuel pump w/ the nozzle close to the engine.

I went ahead and removed my OFG racing rad guards since it would have taken a bit of modding to fit the tank brace, plus the tank and brace are so beefy that the OFG guard is not necessary. Additionally I did not want to restrict the air flow to the radiators any more than I had to. The tank does appear to reduce the flow a bit, less open area on the back side of the radiators to allow flow.

The tank is great, it's actually a bit slimmer than the IMS and does not look half as goofy.

I filled my tank using a 1/2 gallon (64 ounces) container and marked the fuel levels every 1 gallon. I too found the tank to hold more gas than SafariTanks claims. I got to 4.5 gallons and still had approx 2" of space left to the filler neck. I wonder how much fuel expansion space SafariTanks factors in.

The tank easily holds 4.7 Gallons of fuel. This means that at an average of 35 mpg I can easily get 160 miles per tank. That's awesome!

I had some tank grafix laying around that I wanted to put on the tank, but although the raised portion of the tank looks like the OEM tank shrouds, the pattern does not match.

So to give the tank some color (I got a white one) I had to crave up the grafix a bit.
    I'll post up a few pics of the install later.
  10. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

So here is the tank,she's a beauty! :)

[IMG]

More narrow than the IMS:
    [IMG]

I had no problems getting my fuel pump in w/ the the nozzle close to the engine;
    [IMG]

I do hate the connectors. They are hard to get on and off and do not give positive engagement feedback letting you know they are on solid.

Nice sturdy tank brace:
    [IMG]

Thinner mounting point so it wont interfere w/ a steering damper:
    [IMG]

Nice and slim w/ the fuel down low:
    [IMG]

Marked off the fuel level:
    [IMG]

The spill over point between the two lower lobes is around the 1.25 gallon mark. So it looks like there is a mechanical .5 gallon reserve: when you run out simply tilt the bike to the right to get the fuel from the left lobe over to the right.

My finger is at the 4.5 gallon mark, measured in .5 gallon increments w/ a 64 ounce bottle to ensure accuracy. I'm guessing the tank will take and additional 1/4 gallon making the total fuel capacity 4.75 gallons:
    [IMG]

Here it is compared to the IMS:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Plenty of clearance for the steering:
    [IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Real happy w/the product!
  11. firebolter Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    13TE300Berg,07KTM525EXC,13 HusWR165
    The dog approves, as do I! Definitely slimmer and an extra gallon with no shrouds. Cool.

Where did you get the tank decals?
  12. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had some decals for the OEM shrouds laying around that I wanted to put on the tank.

The tank has a raised portion that is designed to look like the OEM shrouds, so I was hoping that the decals would fit, but once I dry fitted them I found out that the size and design is very different, the pattern does not match at all; and even with some trimming they would not fit properly.

So to give the tank some color I had to craved up the shroud decals. Kind of painful to do due to their price, but I was not going to use them anywhere else and the tank needed some color.
  13. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Danbartol

Nice photos and the tank looks good on your bike.

Have you had the opportunity to check the lower left lobe of the tank over the exhaust header during a ride to determine how much heat is being directed there?
  14. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not yet!

Thanks for mentioning it, I'll make sure to keep and eye on it and report back.
  15. danbartol Husqvarna
    AA Class

Judging by this picture it looks like there is sufficient space:

[IMG]
  16. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I realize there is clearance however that header does generate a significant amout of heat when running single track during 80 degree days. I've noticed that my 08 with IMS tank and factory side panels, the tanks decals show indications of heat (peeling/discoloration) from the header in comparison to the right side.
  17. cbreakin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Hey danbartol, I'm strongly considering one of these tanks. Have you got a ride in with the new tank yet? If so, hows the front end feel compared to stock? Dose it make the bike steer heavier/harder to loft the front? Obviously full the safari tank will show it's weight, but how about with about 2gals left? Thanks
  18. GalacticGS Husqvarna
    AA Class

I put one of these on a 310, and really don't notice much difference in handling - at least while riding - I'd probably notice the weight picking it up with a full tank but thankfully, that hasn't happened yet. A lot of the weight is down low. If anything, I think steering in most situations may have improved just a little with additional weight on the front wheel, but I can still loft the front wheel at will. Maybe have to go just a tad faster in deep sand washes to keep the front on top. My 2 cents...
  19. cbreakin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TE510
    Thanks for the input GalacticGS! Thats exactly what I was looking for. Also with you having the lighter more flickable 310 I would think any negative change in handling would be more evident than with my 510. Thanks again.:thumbsup:
  20. skaife Husqvarna
    A Class

Has anyone had graphics made up for this tank yet?

Any issues with the tank thus far?