Husky Trip to the Tip

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

What:

Husky ride from Tecate to Cabo.

When:

Dec 27th to Jan 2

Who:

Mike Kay (TE610)--Host.
    Chase truck (4x4 F350), double axle open trailer.

List of Riders:

yossarian- TE610
    life in sepia- TE510
    BentAero- TE310
    xymotic - TE610
    septic skeptic TE 610
    mike kay - TE610
    norcalslowpoke- TE450
    JCH4- WXC 350 (!)

Trip Starts Jan 27th at 6am at Rancho Santa Veronica, Tecate, Baja Norte, Mexico.
    Trip Ends afternoon of Jan 2nd in Cabo. Everyone staying that night in Hotel Bahia. Book your rooms! Call 1-800-551-2409 or book on the internet. Bahia Hotel in downtown Cabo San Lucas.

Chase Truck leaves Cabo with bikes Jan 5th or early Jan 6th.
    Chase Truck drops off bikes at Uptite Husqvarna on Jan 7th at 2pm. Be there to collect your bikes!

---------

(--THIS TRIP IS FULL, thank you for your interest, and consider joining us next year!)

Cost:
    $150 payed by each rider at the start of the trip for the chase truck fuel, hotels, food, insurance, etc, plus 'on board' drinking water, snacks, etc for the riders. Plan on $100-$150/day for your own hotel/food and fuel and beer. Pay as ya go. Dollars are fine, no need to exchange for pesos. Most hotels will be under $20-30/bed "double occupancy". Meals will be around $4-$10 each. Gasoline will be $3-$5 a gallon. Beer will be around $1 each.

Statement of responsibility:
    Dirt Biking in Mexico is dangerous. In NO WAY do i or anyone involved with this trip, including other riders, chase truck drivers, etc., assume an responsibility for anyone or any equipment. That includes accidents, theft, illness or any other problems during this trip. This is NOT a business, just a bunch of folks getting together for a fun 7 day dirt bike ride with a support truck. If the chase truck crashes on the way home, you might not ever see your bike again. If you stop to look at the view and a rattlesnake bites you, well you might be dead. Point is: this is a dangerous activity to undertake, and their are many many many ways one might be hurt or killed or robbed or whatever during this trip.

Dont Forget to Bring:
    Camelback, riding jacket, tie downs, extra air filter, extra inner tube (21")
    Axel wrench for your bike. Extra motor oil and filter if you want to change oil.

Camelback/Butt Pack should carry: spare rear sprocket bolt/nut, spare 21" inner tube (Kenda brand), compressed air or small hand pump, matches/lighter, 2-power bars, space blanket, small flashlight, basic tools, metal epoxy, spare zip ties, 1+ litres of water, copy of bikes registration, AAA map of Baja, spare fuses, several 6mm bolts and nuts, 1-2 8mm bolts and nut, small role of duct tape, money, passport, ATM card.

Optional items (carried with bike) would include: cell phone or sat phone, SPOT, tow rope, baseball hat, sunglasses, basic first aid kit, plastic epoxy, flip flops, small hose clamp, spare parts. VHF Radio.

Radio--VHF band 5 or 6 watt radios with Push To Talk are highly recommended.
    We will be using VHF radio frequency 151.490. This is also known as the "BITD" frequency. Bring 110ac or 12v car charger for your radio. ICOM, Kenwood, Yuesau are all good brands. PTT available from PCI Race Radios, Baja Designs, etc.
    Good radio prices from Ham Radio Outlet in San Diego.

My Tool Kit has:
    Tire Irons (3), 6mm-14mm 1/4 drive sockets + (2)drivers + allen heads + extensions + swivel, screwdrivers, plug wrench, needlenose pliers, small vice grips, axle wrenches (15 and 27mm), 8,10,12,13, 14 box end wrenches, spoke wrench, leatherman. Try to put together something similar, you will be glad you did.

More Info Coming Soon!
    ...and some previous discussions: http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3325
  2. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    :D

Can't wait!
  3. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is it December Yet?
  4. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

In summer of '06 there was a hurricane in baja, on a very similar track to the hurricane hitting baja today, Hurricane Jimena.

We went pre-running in early November that year, right thru central baja where the hurricane had been, months earlier.

It was simply amazing! SOOO green and full of criters and still some water in the creek beds.

I have a feeling our Husky Trip to the Tip will be epic. Green. Lush. Tropical. Im really looking forward to this ride. :thumbsup:
  5. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is it December yet?

On a more serious note, do we have reservations at Alfonsina's and whatnot as a group or do we need to take care of that on our own?

6. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    One hurricane Mike? I remember several coming across the baja peninsula just before the 1000 that year. How could I forget the wet creek crossings south of Laredo, I thought I was riding an Enduro in Washington, wet then dry wet then dry for miles. The others on the team said they never saw any water in their sections.
    Thats okay it was georgeous seeing so many palm trees in the middle of Baja, Mike knows the name of the Oasis near Laredo...awesome!!
  7. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

San Javier.
  8. JimO Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TE 450, '08 TE 510, '10 TXC 450
    Thats it, Thanks George. Anyone able to go through there better, because you wont believe it. Hopefully Trip to the Tip will venture past.
  9. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

My uncle just drove back down to the East Cape with his trailer a couple days ago. He said some of the bridges were out but it wasn't a problem, just used the arroyos like everyone else. He reported that the crossings were dry, but he did see a few lingering puddles off to the sides. Most of the hotels were booked, largely by CFE truck crews who came out in force to get utilities back up. Apparently, they send additional crews over from the mainland via the ferry. Said they were everywhere. Electricity is already back up, or at least they report 97% repaired as of the 9th. The emergency declaration freed some money and should speed things along. The only hassle might be the hotels, some of which sustained significant damage in the harder hit areas. By then the utility repair crews should be gone and 'some' repairs will have been done so their should be more vacancies.

Definitely going to be pretty.
  10. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

Mike,

Since Tecate to Cabo is more than 1000 miles (by road), am I correct in that this is a one-way ride, trailering back north?

How would my TE310 fare on this trip? As you know, that's a close ratio tranny that doesn't like much above 50 mph. How much paved road running will there be? i.e. is this a 'big bike' only trip?

I suppose I could put a 46 or 47 tooth rear sprocky on and a 14t front... Would I need first gear much?

Doing the Baja peninsula is a 'bucket list' ride for me. I soooo want to go...
  11. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    A great number of the riders will fly north from Cabo and leave their bikes to be trailered.

I haven't 100% figured out my northward plans. Coming from Omaha and meaning to get to the ride on time, my "A" plan is to trailer down to Tecate and meet up with the group there. Not yet sure what to do once in Cabo; the main group will fly back to OC and have their bikes taken there. I might try to catch a ride with the truck and trailer up to the border, or maybe ride the highways back up.
  12. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ive been following the news closely about the hurricane. Wouldnt surprise me if another hits in the coming 6 weeks.

It will be very very green in Dec for our ride. Things will all be patched up and everything will be open. They are good at that down there.
    We will hit a bit of water, but mostly it will just be lush and greeen. Epic. In parts we will think we are in Costa Rica or Hawaii as we ride around San Javier and the Laguna Giganta as George and Jim mentioned. It gets just amazingly lush down there after these storms.

Thanks for answering Yossarian. We will be doing a bit more than 1000 miles in a weeks ride. A 310 with a taller sprocket will be ok. Just keep it under 50 on the roads. Actually most pavement stuff is in the northern section on day 1, with only an additional bit from near Vizcaino to San Ignacio-about 45 miles, on day 4. And possibly a bit more on day 7.
    The 610 guys will have the option to do more pavement if needed.

Accomodations will all be set up by us, no need to book anything. We will stay at small little hotels along the way, and the Bahia in Cabo.

I'm really looking forward to this ride. My wife and kids are flying to Cabo ahead of us to meet us and prepare everything, etc.

We will have a trailer and be able to take 14 bikes back with us.

I suggest folks start taking their own return plans seriously. Prices for airfare are not cheap, and likely to go up considering the time of year.

Bikes can be picked up at Uptite Husqvarna after Jan 6th. :thumbsup:
  13. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Logistics

I'm going to start trying to firm up my plans to make this trip.

Here are the particulars.

I'm in Omaha, NE. Need to get myself and bike to Tecate and back for the trip.

Option 1. Trailer bike to Tecate, ride the trip, ride it back to Tecate, trailer it home.

Option 2. Trailer bike to Tecate, ride the trip, back north with chase truck/trailer to border, trailer it home.

Option 3. Variations of options 1/2 but hooking up with anyone coming through my area to join transportation to/from Tecate for the trip.

Option 4. Ship bike to Uptite (or anyone who can receive it) beforehand, fly out, make the trip with y'all, fly home, have bike shipped home.

So - is anyone coming through Nebraska on their way to this trip?

If I shipped my bike to/from SoCal, is there anyone who would handle on that end?

Thanks,

Y
  14. BentAero Husqvarna
    A Class

Logistically, I'm not sure I can pull it off. For me to arrive at the meet-up point by Dec 26th, I'd have to leave NC either Christmas eve or oh-dark-thirty Christmas morning. Try selling that idea on the wife...

*If* I rode back with the bike hauler rig, which I assume would take two days travel time after it left Cabo (Jan 3rd?) that would put me back in the US by the evening of the 4th. I'd have to get dropped off wherever I left my vehicle and hopefully have my biked dropped off as well at that time. If I had to wait until the 7th ("after the 6th") to get my bike from George's place, that puts me home around the 10th at best. Not good.

There isn't much point in me flying back up to Tecate or San Diego or wherever if I can't get the bike until the 7th. Unless I stayed in Cabo a few days... ;)

Where are you guys flying to when leaving Cabo? Tecate, or US airports?

Possibly, another option would be to have my wife come with me, drop me off at the meet-up point, then park our car w/ trailer somewhere (airport? Someone's house?) and fly down to Cabo where she could find Mike's wife. Where should she fly from?
  15. SepticSkeptic Husqvarna
    B Class

I plan on riding back up, solo if necessary, but company would be safer and more fun. I'd prefer not to slab it. If anyone else is interested in coordinating a return ride drop me a PM. My tentative plans are for a two week stay near Los Barriles. I'm flexible, but I'd would like to stay at least a week. I'll be staying at my uncles place, there's room for a handful of people. Should be pretty mellow, drink, relax, recoup. He just took his 450exc down so we'll be doing some local riding, maybe a bit of fishing, or just enjoying the pool/beach.

Thanks again for organizing this ride Mike. I'm really looking forward to it. :thumbsup:

If it just a matter of signing for it and storing it til your arrival I can probably manage that. If it needs to be picked up somewhere it would depend on the logistics.
  16. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Orange Country Airport.
  17. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Sounds like there are logistics problems. Any bike rentals available?

Or maybe some long term storage available for people out of the area that wants to keep doing these types of rides?

Group buy on 1 or 2 bikes and leave them in so cal? Is a license plate needed for Baja rides like this?

Just tossing out ideas...
  18. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Good question! I need a Husky of some sort for this ride. I'd ride my 610 if it was a TE :excuseme:

WoodsChick
  19. rajobigguy Administrator

Would you mind a 610TE that isn't lowered and suspension set-up for a big guy?
  20. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Sounds great! I'll take it!

Are you going to be my Sherpa and follow me around everywhere and catch me when I come to a stop?

Thanks, Rajo. I always knew you were a swell fellow :thumbsup:

Hmmm...:thinking:... it might actually work if I start chowing down now and then get some bigger riding pants...

WoodsChick