Hall's Suspension Tuning

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by denny, Oct 24, 2010.

1. denny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Anyone have any comments about suspension tuning done by Jay Hall at Hall's Cycles? I've not found any feedback, either positive or negative.

They are only about 2.5 hours from my house.
    I stopped in there last week and learned a ride in and wait might be possible for suspension valving and re spring to fit my weight.

Since I am a newbie at this it seems the opportunity to actually talk with the man doing the work will be a very good thing.

Cheers, Denny
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I am not completely understanding your question, but if you are new to dirtbikes.... learning about them from Jays shop would be a great way to do it.

I've no idea specifically with regards to suspension, but they certainly know all about bikes.

Jay is a great guy, and an ambassador to the sport.
  3. denny Husqvarna
    AA Class

I guess I should elaborate a little more. I know the springs in my bike are likely too stiff for my weight. Valving? I know NADA about that.

I've seen many recommendations for Les at LT Racing, but can't find any mention of Jay Hall and his talent for tuning suspension.

Halls has been excellent at supplying me with parts and advice to check out the engine and get it sounding and running much better. It is a low milage bike (06 TE 610) and needed a little TLC. I've always done my own work on my street bikes, so nothing too difficult, just a little different.

Just looking for a little first hand feedback from someone who's had suspension done there.

I started riding on an enduro style Kawasaki, and have not had an off road capable bike until a couple of months ago. I still need more time in the dirt to get back to where I was years ago. I am not a racer. Most of the riding around here is Gravel and poorly maintained pavement. A few dirt trails, but many of those are private property so only open a couple of times each year for special events. Nearly all of the dirt roads I rode on in the 1970's are either closed or paved now.

I am working to set this bike up to do some long distance camping trips on more remote roads than I've been travelling for the past few years. I intend to use it as a True Dual Sport bike.

The newbie part is mostly communicating what I want the bike to do, and understanding the compromises that will certainly be there, considering my intended use for it.
  4. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    The additional information helped. :)

Random thoughts
    • http://www.werproducts.net/
    • I would be tempted to call Halls, WER, LTR
    • I would also be tempted to check shipping rates for suspensions
    • I would ask what other work Halls has done, I believe they do their own race bikes, and probably have other customers in the area. Maybe try to get a quick ride on one of those?
    • The intangible benefits of working with someone local are really important as well.

But no, I've not heard anyone report anything about Halls doing anyones suspension before.
  5. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Jay did my 09 Wr125 this spring. My suggestion is that you take both in to him and talk to him personally, what you want done, and your riding level. He does an excellent job and actually was more reasonable in price. I needed it done in a hurry for a race and he stayed after hours to get it done in time for me. He does alot of suspension work and is highly recommended.

Darin
  6. denny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, I am glad to hear some first hand positive feedback.

I do value the opportunity to talk with him face to face and being reasonably close is also a big thing to me. I'll give it a shot. I figure I still need a better handle on how much gear I'll be hauling around before I can get the suspension done. I am close though. My current motorcycle camping gear is about 35 pounds, and I have a pretty good idea what I will need to add for more remote roads. Water, a little fuel, tire tools and tubes. I suppose an accurate weight of everything together would be a big help.
  7. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Halls are great guys. I recommend them whole heartedly.

If, for whatever reason, you do not take your suspension to them, I would recommend Enduro Engineering in Michigan. I have supplied Alan Randt with several Husqvarnas over the years and I can tell you from my personal experience, they have Husky suspension dialed in.
  8. barnyard Husqvarna
    C Class

My understanding is that suspension work is not really rocket science. Once you 'get' it, you get it. Hall's has an excellent reputation in the midwest, I would suspect that they 'get' Husky suspension and can easily work their magic. I am sending them my suspension this winter.

Tom B
  9. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a new 2011 WR150 and Jay did my valving. He took out about 20% of the high speed valving and so far it feels great. Now to get the springs balanced. I am very picky about getting my static / rider sag right. I recommend Hall's highly. Other good suspension tuners in the East are WER (Works Enduro Rider). Beware of sending your suspension to California tuners and expect it to work in the woods in the east. They may know MX but not Enduro / Hare Scrambles.
    IMO