Tecate to Cabo in Dec. -- Interested?

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Mike Kay, Jun 1, 2009.

1. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

I want to see if there is enough interest in doing a 7 day ride all the way down baja.

Tecate, at the US border, to lands end in Cabo San Lucas, 1000+ miles later. 6 days of 150 or so easy miles, nearly all off road. A chase truck with a trailer.

There are only a handfull of rides down the entire penninsula each year-and we have never done so long a 'Husky' themed ride. There has never been a 'modern' Husky ride the entire length of baja.

It would be over the holidays in December.

Please let me know if it is something you would be interested in. Its a Husky ride. :thumbsup:

I am looking at all options to put together something really cool, something bigger then the many Husky baja rides we have done, and something that could grow into an annual Husky event.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'll say sure and then not show up as usual :banghead:
  3. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I'm interested. That doesn't mean I can go, though.:excuseme:
  4. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, definitely interested. I'm sure my dad would love to run chase for us.
  5. Norcalslowpoke Husqvarna
    AA Class

need to turn my high level of interest into equal commitment, you gave plenty of notice, I have no excuse.

Hope all is well Mike.

Cheers

Scott in Sacramento
  6. Dirty Bikes Husqvarna
    A Class

Would a TXC250 with the proper sprockets and larger tank be ok for this type of ride
  7. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Eric and I would both be very interested!

Anyone got a couple of TE's they wanna loan us? :lol:

WoodsChick
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    When will the Sherco only rides start happening. :D
  9. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

You have a hard time getting out for a day. How the heck would you go away for 3 weeks?:banghead:
  10. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Come on homie. Bahhhk bahk bahk bahk. :D
    -----------

250s in baja?

Its a good question. For folks who weigh under say, 150lbs, with the right gearing and a big tank, its doable. For single track riders/bikes, heavier set riders, etc. its just pushing it too far, too fast, for too long.
    450's and 510's do well. I will be on my 610, perhaps the best baja bike there is, IMHO.
    ------------

Come on Scott. We can bring some Racer 5.

-----------
    WC and hubby: Get some TE's and join us.

----------
    BCV:
    Roger that. I WILL have a radio. :thumbsup:
    ---------

Keep the questions coming. I really want to get a headcount of how many would be interested in joining the ride, to find out if its even feasable. :cheers:
  11. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    armchair rider here. will follow this one from the sidelines, with great interest.
  12. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda

Oh...ok! I'll be back in a few minutes :thumbsup:

So what happens after the ride to Cabo? Transport for bikes and riders back to Tecate? Stay a few days and ride back? Will lodging be set up ahead of time like the Baja ride?

WoodsChick
  13. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

My dad just called me and is already packing. Hehe...he is so excited. He said he would love to run chase, as long as he got a few half days where he could switch with me or someone and ride a bit. Just have to get this past the girlfriend (who may want to come) and the mom.

-Blake
  14. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I gotta get my eyes checked, first time I read I did a double take :lol: I highlighted what I thought I read. :doh:
  15. Dirty Bikes Husqvarna
    A Class

:oldman:
  16. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Depending on dates Jaime and I are in. Ontario Canada to Mexico twice in a year.:thumbsup:
  17. UberKul Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm super interested, my brother (te450) has a real job and may not be able to make it but I sent this anyway to tease him. If we are staying in motels/hotels/casa's I'd be a lot more excited than sleeping on the ground.
    Now to see if my wife is excited as I am.:eek:
  18. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    Definitely interested but the holiday timing may be a deal killer. Lots of time left to figure it out.
  19. Ruffus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hammer, Dirty bikes???? Do you guys plan on trailering down??

Not saying I'm going, but just having one of them what if moments :D
  20. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Some Info:

THE DATES:
    I am flexible, but i would really like to have Xmas with my wife and kids. Then leave. They can fly to Cabo and meet me if they want.
    So i am thinking something like we pull out of Tecate on the early am of the 27th. Ride ends Jan 2nd. But i am flexible! Need input from y'all on this one to see what works best for everyone. Obvioulsy Geroge, myself and Blake/dad will need to go whatever dates are figured out.

THE RETURN TRIP:
    Most folks will fly back. Probably to Orange County, CA, where their truck/car will be parked. (John Wayne Internationa Airport long term parking). Then drive home. Others will fly further i am guessing.
    Bikes will arrive a few days later, and can be picked up at Georges shop, or in NorCal where i will be driving to.
    If the Canadians or others from 'way far away' join us, we might be able to coordinate with them to have bikes taken longer distances and then picked up regionally.

THE RIDE:
    This will be chased by a 4x4 truck with gear bags and basic spares/parts, etc. The truck will have a long flat bed trailer and the bikes will all have to fit there and in the back of the truck. A second chase truck 'might' be an option. Depends.
    Nights will be in moderate hotels. Expect $40/night (or less) double occupancy. 1-2 nights might be in sort of 'low budget' hotels, depending on the routes. Gas will be locally obtained, US made 91 octane-with a few exceptions in remoter areas.
    George, Myself, Blake will all be leading/riding sweep. Most likely two groups--one for 610 riders, the other for the smaller bikes. Some routes will be the same for both bike types, some routes wont. Each night we will all be at the same hotel. We will have radios on the lead and sweep bikes, and cell phones and radios with the trucks.
    The trails will be the same used in past Baja 1000 courses. We will try to avoid the more chewed up sections.

BIKE SET UP:
    Lights are mandatory. In December it gets dark at 5 down there. Big tanks are mandatory. Ya cant really carry gas for a week....100 mile range. Stock '08-'09 TE610's will be ok. Everyone else will need a bigger tank. :)
    Like new chains and sprockets. Ultra HD tubes in new off road tires. Bring spare tubes (both). The chase trucks will carry LOTS of spares this time. Bring an extra airfilter too. We will probably have a half day in San Ignacio (half way) to service the bikes.

SPONSORS:
    Our shop sponsor is Uptite Husqvarna! :thumbsup:

I want to get the mothership involved somehow. Will invite them formally.

Some aftermarket sponsorship would also be nice. I will work on it.

COSTS:
    Its FREE! As usual. :thumbsup:
    Just pay your own way. Figure on $150/day (but it will end up less than that) once you cross the border.
    We will each ponny up $100 for the chase truck drivers hotels, food, and for fuel for the chase truck.

Hotels will be arrainged ahead of time, with the idea we can get rooms during 'high season' and that we can get a discount. Right now nobody goes to baja, so it shouldnt be an issue.

VIOLENCE IN MEXICO:
    There is a civil war going on in Mexico. It is confined to several regions of the country. We will not be going to any of those regions. We will avoid the troubled city of Tijuana. We know where its safe to ride, and where its not. We dont take risks.

Just some ideas for the ride.

You Canadians/East Coastes are amazing!!!
    Keep it coming. Im getting the feeling we can do this. :cheers: