Trailtech X2 headlight review

Discussion in 'Common Items on Husqvarnas: Tires/tubes/grips/etc' started by Motosportz, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    First off let me let you know we are going to stock and carry these so this is a review by someone that intends to sell them. Just wanted to be completely transparent.

So I have had the HID version of the X2 Trailtech headlight on my TE/SM610. My 610 is in SM form right now. I have some mounting to sort out and attached the bottom part via Velcro so i can easily reposition to find the sweet spot. I have taken several night rides with it now and here is my report.

First off the 2" is all you need on the street. It throws light WAY out there and lights up all the reflectors for a ridiculously long ways in front of you. Adjusted properly for use I did notice people I came up behind adjusting their rear view mirrors so it throws light a little to high. I did not have any oncoming cars flash me which I was surprised about. The little 2" HID has no issue keeping up with a bike traveling 60-70 MPH and is confidence inspiring offering great vision. When you get a chance to run the 4" with it the amount of light is HUGE. I can't imagine needing more light. There is no comaprision to the lame stock light, this one is WAY more light and WAY more useful. I had to limp home on the stock light one night and was freaked the whole time, this one makes night riding fun.

The down side. Even with just the 2" it is a little bright for street use. it is not DOT approved so you could get a ticket for it. I have the 4" wired to my high beam and it takes a few seconds to light so flipping it on and off as needed is slow and unresponsive.

So far I LOVE this light. I will be mounting one to my TXC450 (with upgraded Stator) and trying it off road. I have a 8" HID and this and will test them back to back. There is a 24 hours race i am doing in October and will try them both there as well. I am 100% confident the X2 is more than enough to race off road what i want to know is how does it works in dusty conditions and how will it hold up. I know the guys personally from Trailtech and know they did extensive testing so I am assuming it is going to work very well in these conditions and be reliable. The light is very well designed and all self contained (ballast etc).

[IMG]
  2. honard Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510
    Other Motorcycles:
    1956 BMW R50, 2014 BMW R1200GSW
    will it work?

will it work (both 2" and 4") with the stock stator output on the 08's TEs? Inquiring minds want to know. :D
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Should be no problem as the draw is low. I'll find out exactly what the draw is but they work on the stock KTM which i believe is the exact same Stator as the TE. the stock TE610 stator has no issues with it.
  4. ElDiablo Husqvarna
    B Class

I like this light the most. Can you post pics of it from inside. Did you have to remove the black plastic thing on top of the fender to fit the light? How much are you going to sell it for and when?
  5. meletis Husqvarna
    B Class

each one consumes 35 watts, so in total 70 watts is almost the need of a halogen 55-60 lamp,
    yes the power output is more than enough, still i recommend that you take power directly from the battery with an add on line and a safety switch.
  6. ElDiablo Husqvarna
    B Class

So what is the story with this light?
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Waiting for Trailtech to get stock to fill our stocking order. The HIS is just under $300 and the halogen is just under $100 complete. Will have them this week i hope. When they are on the web site, we have them.
  8. ElDiablo Husqvarna
    B Class

I need this light in Oct. Do you think that you will have it soon?
  9. Mike Kay Husqvarna
    AA Class

Have you tried it out on the 450?
    Have you had a chance to weigh the HID version?
    Is it up to 'serious off road'?

Very interested, Baja 1000 is coming up...:)
  10. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    not tried it on the 450 yet but did 230 miles with it on the 610 this weekend. Worked nice. As for full race baja, I don't know, maybe no. It's mainly plastic, not the nice tube framed race ready lights like the 8" ones. I have an 8" I'll try them both on the TXC450 soon and let you know night wise. I do know I have no issues with 70+ mph in total darkness on back roads.
  11. Squish87 Husqvarna
    A Class

I have an 06 SM610, does the stock stator put out enough to power the 2 and 4 inch. This may have already answered bneen answered but im unclear on it.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yes, running it on my 06 610 with no issues.

K
  13. tdreyer Husqvarna
    A Class

Motosportz, you've had the light for a while now, will it get by the man?
    Just looking for an opinion. When you use it in the dark, on the street, do you have enough light to the sides ie. OEM? The reflector on any DOT throws light in the right directions. I was under the impression that the 2" was a spot and might only throw a pincle beam? Does it work well as a low, enough light in front of and to the left and right? I've an '04 KTM 625 SMC that I ride 60+ m-f and am looking at this light for my daily driver for safety, being seen and seeing. I've looked on your site and don't see the light listed for sale? Or I'm looking in the wrong place?? By the way could I get one in orange from you guys? Have you gotten them from TT to sell? Do you know of any others who have any good or bad to say of this light for road use?

Thanks, Tim
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Hey Tim. Yes, i have used the light quite a bit now on the road. The 2" does a better job by itself than the stock unit. Throws it out there pretty good and is wide enough. Probably not the ideal pattern for road but close enough to work. With the both on your can tear up the streets, lots of light but this only works if there are no on coming cars because you will blind them. Honestly it is not the best solution for street. The HID takes a minute to lite so flipping the high beam on and off is cumbersome. Also it is NOT DOT so if you get pulled over you might get a ticket. It is also I different color than most lights on the road and might draw attention. It works well for me as 95% of my street riding is back roads. Just being up front and clear here so people do not get this light and are disappointed.

All that said i really like the light, compact, puts out a lot of light and looks great. TT is just now getting their stock up and the husky graphics i asked them to make. We will have them in stock next week and on the site. Yes, Email me at motosportz if you are still interested and I will hook you up. Yes, orange is available.

thanks.
  15. tdreyer Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks Motosportz, when I commute I see all maner of color and output from cars and bikes so I don't think it will be to much of an issue as long as I don't ride with the hi on all the time. When you say a minute to light are you really talking a minute or some amount of seconds?? Yes, I'd be wanting orange, no graphics. Thank you again for posting up and your quick responce. It'll be a couple of weeks or more as it seems I've aquired 2 more dependents, my in-laws have moved in for the durriation it seems:thumbsdown: I'll be coming to you for the light. I was going to run an H4 HID kit but this light looks way better. I had dismissed it because I hadn't seen any reviews and no one wants to be liable for selling a nonDOT product for the road.

~Tim

'04 625SMC
    '97 CR500R :notworthy:
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    takes 15-30 seconds to lite (estimate) the 4"
  17. ElDiablo Husqvarna
    B Class

So when can I get it?
  18. Muddy Waters Husqvarna
    AA Class

I’m pretty sure that Kelly (Motosportz) is not going to be liable for it too, at lest that’s what he’s trying to convey here,
    I think…???
    :busted:-->:excuseme:

This light is beautiful :applause:
    :thumbsup:
  19. tdreyer Husqvarna
    A Class

Oh! I'm good with no liability on him or TT, I'm just glad he posted on how it did on the street so that other hooligans can make a decision for themselves! Yes I understand what he is trying to not say. I couldn't even get the TT guy to tell me what the pattern of light was like:excuseme: I am NOT like soooo many others I will take full responsibility for my actions. Just needed a little more info. Thanks for chimeing in:thumbsup::thumbsup:
  20. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is the 2" HID the same as the Trail Tech MR16 HID?

Also what will the husky graphics look like? 08 color scheme?