1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 04 - 05 WR 250 good bike?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by rockdancer, Feb 5, 2010.

1. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thinking about getting an 05 model Wr250
    Due to low price , lower seat height and possibly more trail friendly than newer models
    Ive had a 125wr 06 but want more torque for hills . I do like the ergonomics of the TE 450 Ive had before but dont need as much power

Anyone recommend these bikes - one going cheap on ebay oz
    Anything to look out for?
    cheers
    Ashley
  2. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I have an '02 WR-identical bike. Has excellent grunt-torquey, big flywheel. It'll crawl up just about anything. Hits good on top too. Much lighter and better handling than the 450 in the woods.
    Nice simple bike, well built. Just look for sloppy bearings in the suspension and swingarm, anything else you'd look at with a used bike.
    Good luck:thumbsup:
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    As for USA models, the 2004 has a bigger front axle than the 2002, the 2002 is really a wide ratio or sort of wide where the 2004 shares the transmission of the cr which high is just twice that of low. Best as I know even though the current two strokes are all wr in the 250 size they have not put the wider transmission in. I did buy a 2004 wr250 so am not just typing for the thrill of it. The suspension needed to be sent out, I am the kind of guy who generally doesn't do that. They made it better but it still needs a certain amount of speed to get through a rock garden. It still has a spike when coming downhill and the front wheel drops into a depression but nothing like it did initially. I put a different throttle on it for more gradual effect. I liked the power and handling but found once the original tire wore it wasn't as impressive. It is kind of amazing they have the exhaust pipe, chain and kick starter all on the same side. I find the kick starter forces the foot to hit the foot peg in the process of using it but that may be similar for what you are comparing it to.
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have one. The same bike since 2002 really

A fast big relatively light bike. Relatively low tech. the forks must be revalved.

More power but slower handling than your 125...much larger too.

the clutch is a cable that you must keep in good shape.

The TMX carb drinks a lot of gas.

the power valve system is a bit complex...keep it clean and adjusted.

Will work good forever with regular maintenance.

I'm currently rebuilding mine.
  5. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have an '06 WR250 and love it. I had an '06 TE450 and very glad to switch to a smoker.

I race with stock suspension and have it's not that bad. The forks leave something to be desired but I have had worse. It will deflect if I'm not up on the bars and riding aggressive. But doesn't when I ride hard. Love the motor, it is amazing. Pulls all the way from the verrrrry bottom end all the way to the top. And here on the east coast I generally don't get to the top very often.

Like someone else said, the bike is basically the same from '02 forward. I think suspension differences are the only major thing.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Had an new 99, was a great bike. Had a new 02, was a great bike. Rode 2 04's that were great bikes. Buddy has an 07 that is a great bike. Rode a 09 what was a great bike. Own a 94 that is a great bike. :D All about the same, great bikes, great motor, stone reliable, could use better forks, great bike. Super solid take you anywhere bike.
  7. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It could be I don't know any better, but I'm happy with the forks on my 04 after respringing and valving.
    I am sending my cylinder out for replating, because I plan on keepng the bike. The pre 02 have a better 6 speed transmission, that can be transplanted to 04 and newer.

I like my bike
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Sounds good thanks for advice guys
    An 05 with low ks($3000) at half the price of an 08 ($7000) seems like good value if they havent changed much - apart from being 10lbs lighter
    I actually like the old shape and blue/yellow - especiaslly from the rear
    I will factor in a fork revalve and spend some money on extras
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Interestingly I found an old 2004 Aust. Dirt Bike mag shootout with the Husky up against the TM250 , Gas Gas, 300 EXC ,and a YZ250 WR.
    All testers like the Husky suspension the best . Plushness and good line holding.
    Power of husky considered very versatile for traction without the big top end of the Yamaha or TM. The husky was considered best overall for enduro racing and Ktm better trail bike. Husky roomiest and easisest to stand up on . Yamaha last as no wide ratio gearbox.
  10. husky13 Husqvarna
    C Class

i know it ain't a o4/05 but i have a 08 wr 250, a big step up from my old 07 rm 85l. the wr is a great bike, great torque in the low end, climb almost anything. i love it!
  11. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    '03 Polaris Predator, '86 YZ490
    All of these other guys have way more seat time on their current or previous WR250's than I do, but I will say that the very brief time I have ridden mine, I can say it's a enjoyable bike to ride. The bike came well setup from the previous owner. The TMX is no PWK, but once dialed in (like mine is), the bike runs soooo crisp and responsive.

I only complain about the lack of a 6th gear, especially here in CA. I find myself reaching for a non existent 6th gear as soon as I leave camp, as in I'm always looking for that next gear!!

These engines like others have said are very tractable and long lasting, especially with routine upkeep and maintenance. In all honesty, I don't ever expect to do a top end job.

Again, like they all said, great bikes.

Note: I do feel like the kick starter position leaves some to be desired.
  12. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I don't know that I'd go that far. I've done one on mine and it needed it. And it needs it again. Still pulls power wheelies in any gear but I can tell on the kickstarter that it's lost a teeny bit of compression.....but who couldn't tell - those frick'n things are such a hard kick it's easy to notice. Just hope she last through bike week - 4 races in 8 days!! :applause:
  13. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    ARod, you're right, but a lot of you guys get out on a regular basis, whereas I'm out riding only a few times a year sadly (4-6x). Based on that, I've never had to do a top end on any bike I've ever owned and likely never will have to unless I ride every other week or two like some on this board. My orig 96TE410 is still on the original top end that my friend has now (yes, I know 4T, not the same), and it runs as hard as my now 12 hour 2000 TE410. :lol: Heck, our 96 360 is on the orig top end too and runs awesome!

I guess the only point I wanted to convey is the WR250 is built robust and is one reason that engine is so damn heavy, but I like it that way, since it will take me that much further before ever having to worry about doing something to the top end. I think the bike has just shy of 50 hours now at this point.

To me, it's neat knowing that the top end interval change out on this bike is substantially less than a lot of the competition, so I like that fact and wanted to brag a little about it. :cheers:
  14. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    She'll make it ARod.... it's a Husky! :)