1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 07 WR125 vs 11 WR150

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by endurokids, Sep 18, 2010.

1. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    I would like opinions on the differences between these two bikes. My dilema is rebuilding (and 144 kits) the 07's vs buying 2011 WR150's.
    One of the benefits or keeping the 07's is the suspension, its great on them as they are today. The 07's have many races on them and will require complete rebuilds. It would be cheaper to rebuild vs replace but the factory 150 seems to be the perfect H/S bike.
    Are there any handling differences? I would assume so as the frames are different.
    I'm not doing anything untill this season is over but I need to solidify my decision soon.
    Thanks all.
  2. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I haven't actually ridden one of the '09+ 125s, but I ride an '08 CR outfitted for enduros. I bought it cheap as a leftover, but I strongly considered one of the new framers at the same time. What held me back was the teeny gas tank. If a big-ish tank were available then, I likely would have gotten the '09. It supposedly handles a bit better.

The flip side, as you mentioned, was that your already have the suspension all sorted on your '07. So you have to decide whether you value newness more than money.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I have owned older CR125's and now the 09 WR125 with a 144 kit. IMHO the WR150 is worlds better. Better frame, better motor, better suspension. I just installed the Halls/IMS tank on mine and am getting 65 miles on the trail. I have 11 bikes and this one gets ridden all the time. if you want a small bore this is a fantastic bike IMHO.

Last weekend riding with 250/450's i have no issues even at 210 pounds and 7500 feet. This is a great bike. After buddy Jake (on Shanes 09 WR144) and I chased each other all over he proclaimed a 288 was the best sized bike. Teo 144's chasing each other. F U N

K

[IMG]
  4. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    The 07 with an OEM 144 kit would be the same motor basically - new head design on 144
    I dont think a new frame shape will make them win races
    An 09/10 may be more impressive in the pits though
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Well I have to say that the new frame is a definite improvement. I wouldn't even hesitate to make the jump to the WR150. :thumbsup: Your money though and the 07 isn't a slouch at all.

Walt
  6. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I went from a 06 to a 09 with the 144 kit. Upgrading the 06 would have been more cost effective but I just like a new bike. Everything is fresh. The new frame does handle better also. Another advantage is the IMS tank for the new frame is way better then the one for the old. The only thing I like less on the new frame is that the bars feel like they are not nearly as far forward as they were on the old.
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I believe that is because the seat is flatter at the front and you can slide further forward.
  8. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

It feels fine sitting. It is when I try to stand that the bars feel too close and low. I had Fastways on the 06 which was probably part of the reason. I am running the same bars though. I think I will try some higher ones and see if it is more comfortable.
  9. endurokids Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    250WRX, CR167, 83 430WR, TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    75 Guzzi 850T
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies.
    How big is the tank on the 2011's?
    Are there any cheap alternatives for a fast gas fill tank besides the dry break?
  10. BillO Husqvarna
    AA Class

This is a 4 litre can (1+ gallon). I cut down the spout and mounted about a foot of 1 1/4" I.D. Flexible hose to it. As long as possible and still fit in the can like the stock spout. Then I drilled out the vent to 5/16". This will flow 4 litres in about 5 seconds.

To use it you tie a shop cloth to the hose to act as a gasket.

1) Put your finger on the vent hole
    2) Place the hose into the fill opening
    3) Slide the cloth down to seal any splash
    4) Tip up and open take your finger off the vent

You can master this in a few minutes. Done right, you can get the gas cap off, fill the bike, and put the cap back on in 10-12 seconds.

We use this in harescrambles. My son uses about 5.5 litres in about 90 minutes of racing. He pits just after the 90 minute mark, so even in a full 2.5 hour race and riding with a 7 ltire tank he'll have 5.5 litres to finish the last hour of the race, which is well more than enough. The extra is in case he gets stuck.

I know a dry-break system will do this in 1/2 the time, but considering the usual pit stop includes several parrallel activites that take longer (new goggles, a little snack, information exchange, new gloves, any number of little things) I figured the $600 or so to look cool was not a good investment.

Attached Files:

11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  12. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think the new frames make the bike turn better...but I can tell you Norms old 2002 WR125 hauls the mail with a EG 144 now that I got a 50/50 race gas mix in it.

No more pinging and a "lot" of bottom end power and chug....no foolin'.

It's a little weak on top but man does it pull down low.

Harves rock forks make it plush in the rocks!

Maybe a sorted new bike is a little better.

OTOH it costs at least $1000 to rebuild into a 144 and you need to add your labor!

I may buy a 150 next year but I want it delivered ready to rock. No flat spot in the mid etc.