1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc '08 CR125 ignition install on a '09 wr125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by pahusky, Jan 30, 2011.

1. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Threaded lightly first couple of steps...then went for it.

Very easy to remove everything...
    - Borrowed the flywheel puller from my local shop
    - WR stator is held on with two 'small' screws
    - The only wire you end up with leaving is the kill switch connector and ground.
    - There is a whole other set of posts to mount the CR stator, you don't use the WR locations.
    - The CR stator plate ends up farther out than the WR and is attached with 2 bolts, not screws
    - There is a metal slide-in wire protector you need the leave out or cut the front off of (don't
    cut the back, it's against the wires) I'm going to leave it out.
    - I have the '08 stator and wanted an under seat mount.
    - Since I had the '08 cdi bracket, I drilled the bracket and mounted it the existing bracket for the regulator. (I don't have the lights on)
    - All the lead wires from the stator had to be lengthed and I decided to shorten the cdi wires to the coil.
    - Not real bad; solder, heat shrink wrap and elec. tape.
    - It's all back together, need to stop by the shop, return the tools and use their flywheel holder
    and torque down the flywheel nut.
    - Also going to make sure the bolts you see don't hit the gas tank, will adjust if needed
    - Got a couple of issues to work on then we'll get it fired up, lots of snow on the ground right now.

Just an update, will post some better pics and some more reports.

BRACKET MOUNT.
    [IMG]
    typeone and MOTORHEAD like this.
  2. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Update...

Got a few better pics and some trouble shooting out of the way.

The bottom line is, I ended up...
    - Lenthening the wire that goes from the stator to the cdi
    - Mounting the cdi at the old regulator position(no lights)
    - Shortening the cdi to coil wire
    - Shortening the coil to plug wire

The gray frame is the '08. The 2 holes in the front downtube is where the cdi mounted and the you can see the 2 hole gusset on the frame back where the coil mounted. Short trip from stator to cdi, long trip cdi to coil and long trip coil to plug.

[IMG]

Here is the '09 WR setup. The cdi is mounted to a frame bracket between the engine stays.(see other pic) You can see the coil in relation to the cdi and spark plug.

[IMG]

This is the '08 cdi bracket, drilled and mounted to the regulator bracket. The cdi is hung in the bracket by a rubber strap. A couple of zip ties went in nicely in a couple of strategic locations.
    I bent the front of the bracket up to hold the zip tie from sliding off.
    And the bolts did not hit the underside of the gas tank.
    [IMG]

I used Wallys blue mark for setting the stator. The bike started up first couple of kicks. And after some warmup and quick rip up and down the road all seems good. Will need better weather for some indepth testing. But it sounded real good!
    dartyppyt likes this.
  3. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice. I just did the same with a 06 CDI, it was a bit more work and I will take some pictures soon.

Do you have the recalled motor mounts on for some reason?
  4. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    I will be intrested in seeing the '06 setup...

I ordered new braces because the right one was broke in half. The new right one bolted right on.

The left is still the original, because the new left would not line up. The dealer suggests I loosen all the motor mounts so the engine can shift a little then the brackets will line up. Just haven't done that yet.

Now the word 'recall' bothers me. I'm pretty sure they were replaced before I took dellivery. I paid for the new set. Here are the one's the bike came with...this was discovered during a shakedown after a 2 hour hare scramble. Do these look like the recalled ones?
    [IMG]
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Th broken one is like mine. I thougth the single bolt ones were the good ones and the original ones that broke were the ones with two bolts on top. Maybe I have it backwards.
  6. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    The two bolt top is the new one. But, just like the old ones there is a left and right one.

To me, it's off more than shifting the engine around will make up. But we'll see.
    Maybe I can look into this tonite and report back.
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Yeah, the 08 and before look like better mounts.