08 ecu upgrade with pcV

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by dave35, Sep 22, 2010.

1. dave35 Husqvarna
    A Class

I have a 08 510smr, not sure what software the ECU has.
    would i still need the ecu update if i fitted a pcV
    THANKS
  2. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    TE510 ECU 09 Spec upgrade.
    check out that thread for more details-
    you just need to hook up to Ibeat to find out if your 2008 does not have the updated ECU- some 2008's will and some won't from original purchase. If the "update" only deals with the fueling map the PCV should be able to correct as needed. However, the less it has to correct the better in my mind. The PCV is the best way to go in the end for a 2008 since you only have 1 range of adjustment on the 2008's with Ibeat. I have been happy with Ibeat tunning on the 2009 but I have 3 points of adjustment.
  3. dave35 Husqvarna
    A Class

got a pcV+ autotune on the way from semco , i presume the software problems on the early 08 ecu were related to the efi mapping ,as you never here of ecu problem on carb huskys ,
    so i am assuming early 08 ecu software problems should be sorted by the pcv without any need for a ibeat update?
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    The reflashed 08 ECU is just a mere updated data- It will make a bike run better- not doing it will not result in ECU failure. The PCV will correct any and all fueling issues. It comes down to if you are 20 minutes from a dealer or 5 hours. You could even send the ecu to a dealer in the off season. Its no big deal. Your bike might not even need it because it has the "reflashed ecu" only way to tell is by plugging it into Ibeat. Your results will be fine with just the PCV- but if you have a problem with the PCV and run a zero map till it is sorted you'll benefit from having the re-flashed ecu. Other than that it shoudn't be an issue. I don't think the reflash did anything with ignition maps or otherwise.
  5. dave35 Husqvarna
    A Class

Got my pcv -autotune fitted to my 08. did not get much of a chance to play with it yet as winter nearly here,
    looking at the way the powercommander works, it makes variations off the base maps in the ecu,
    so if the ecu fuel maps vary , the same PC map will vary for diff ECU versions ?
  6. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Well, yes. But if you have an autotune you should not care. Simply start with a null map (all zeros) and have it start tuning.
  7. HSMRDave Husqvarna
    B Class

The only trouble with starting with a null map, is that it can take quite a while to fill the cells. The other option is use a map which is close to your state of tune, then the Autotune will not have to alter as much, making it quicker:thumbsup:
    That is the route I took, and after accepting a few readings, the base map was built in no time.

Dave
  8. dave35 Husqvarna
    A Class

mine ran pretty [almost perfect] good since i fitted race can [with db killer] and oxygen eliminator, NO PC or ibeat updates, so i think the null map should be a good starting point for me . [bike ran like crap before powerup kit ]
    just thinking the same PC maps will vary alot on different 08 depending on the software version of ecu,
    at the moment i have a PC base map but did not notice any big differance in bike , [only rode the bike afew times] will try a null map next time to see if autotune has to make less changes
  9. HSMRDave Husqvarna
    B Class

The beauty of having Autotune is that it adjusts the AFR on the fly, so as long as you set it to the desired level the bike should run sweet anyway:thumbsup:
    The base map really comes into the game when you fit the map switch, as then it can switch between the Autotune real time adjustment and the set base map settings. This is something I have not done, due to the fact that I wish the bike to perform at the optimum level all the time, but I guess if you wanted a bit better fuel economy (???) then this could be acheived also.

Dave