08 TE510 TPS Sensor Failure

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Townzer, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    According to the dealer, my TPS Sensor is bad and I need a whole new $500 throttle body because the sensor is pressed in! Anyone one else experience this issue and have a cheaper solution?
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    What are the symptoms, why is bike at the dealer?
  3. Tech 3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 SMR510
    I have a 2010 throttle body with less than 1000 miles
    I can part with if you need one
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.
  4. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    How much? I cannot find any online.
  5. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    It would be easier to refer you to this thread which started it all.

6. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Try disconnecting the battery and leave it undone for 20 minutes then hook it back up.
  7. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    Tech 3 Rocks! I received the throttle body and the dealer should have installed it today. I am hoping it will be ready tomorrow. Thanks again Tech 3, I know your riding season is over, but hopefully you will an early spring.
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    update when possible, hope you get closure.
  9. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    Still in the shop. New throttle body was put on and it started, but would not start a second time. Dealer stumped and wants to open the motor. I am losing faith.
  10. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Be sure and retrieve your old throttle body from the dealer, 99% chance it is perfectly operational.

I would not want the motor opened up, there are way too many little things it could be. Unless you want to pay for MORE unnecessary work, I'd get it away from the dealer.

Have the cams been out of the bike for any reason prior to the problems happening?

Check compression, with throttle wide open, compression gauge installed, you should get 110 psi or so, which is all you'll get with an auto decomp like your bike has.

Check spark, with the plug laying on the head,

11. Tetley Husqvarna
    AA Class

12. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    No faith in the Simi Valley Dealer. They told me they could not figure it out. I ordered up the Semco Designs cable and iBeat and with the help of Tech3, I began diagnosing the problem further. We tried a new throttle body and injector then tuned on it for hours. Final conclusion: faulty ECU (we did get it running though). I would like to put an '09 ECU in it. I will post further, had to take a break to move to northern Cal. Would like to ride it ASAP!
  13. chad26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just wondering if the ecu fixed your problem? I have a 2010 txc 250 and I was having the same issue with no tps sensor signal but also low voltage error. I also put a throttle body on it with no luck, it would run for about 3 to 7 seconds than die out like running out of gas. New fuel pump and filter and still no luck. Finally took out the wire harness today and unwrapped the entire harness and found two bad wire that rubbed thru with a few strands left. Repaired wires rewrapped harness and put back in and runs like a new bike again.
    OlderHuskyRider likes this.
  14. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    I will let you know tomorrow. I have to wait until the post office opens so I can get it and try it. I will definitely be installing first thing and checking it out, it's killing me to see if it will work also!
  15. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    ECU worked, but did not solve the problem. I am leaning toward a broken wire somewhere now. Next weekends project.
  16. chad26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Check the wiring from where the harness plugs into the tps to the ecu section of wires it will probably be a brown wire.
    Good luck.
  17. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    Okay, so what would cause the bike to run like it is in "limp" mode? It seams I have ruled everything out, but have not solved my problem. The bike starts better now, and idles, but the air/fuel mixture screw only changes the rpm about 50. With a rap of the throttle the bike bogs. What else should I check?
  18. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510

Hey Chad26, were they the TPS wires that you found to be bad? If not what wires in what location?

Thanks,

Townzer
  19. chad26 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Unplug your wire harness from the tps and that section of wires to the main harness. I think there is 4 or 5 wires and it was about 5 inches up from the connector. But if it runs in limp mode unplug your temp sensor cycle the power on/off reconnect and see if it runs right. Could be a bad temp sensor, I've gone thru 4 of them.
  20. Townzer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '08 TE510
    I checked the harness today, cut all the tubing off so I could see everything and did not find anything wrong. The temp sensor was the first thing I replaced when this all started. I guess I could have gotten a bad one. I was thinking about the crank shaft sensor but was told it either works or it won't run. I am running out of things to check though!