1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 08 WR 250 Shifter/Case Rub Issue

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dartyppyt, Jan 9, 2009.

1. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Team,

Have an 08 with just 2 races on it and the shifter is rubbing on the case up by the folding tip. I have already loosened the bolt and moved the shifter out a little ( doesn't matter) but it is starting to dig into the magnesium. It has already rubbed through the paint. It sits out away from the case about an 1/8" out but I think when I race it flexes over and rubs the case. I am getting ready to polish the ignition/clutch covers, exterior Cyl head, kick starter, triple clamps, rear brake lever, swingarm, rear sub frame and power valve covers. This is my tricked out little winter project. Going to insert red paint into the Husqvarna H's on the covers. My last bike, I did the same thing and had tons of compliments on it. Has anyone ever heated one of these shifters up and bent it out a little? Or did anyone just put it in a vise and bent it cold? It came this way from the dealer and started rubbing right off the bat.

Appreciate any feed back.

Thanx Typpy T :banghead:
  2. Yanni23 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Heat it up with a torch, then bend it outwards just a little. Dip in water to cool 'er down and you're good to go. That's a common issue on this bike.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Also make sure it is as far out on the spline as you can get it. Some people weld a washer to the back side to spread the impact when crashing on the left side so as not to poke a hole through the thin cover.
  4. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    I saw this on Sebs race bike, they actually welded a silver dollar sized steel disc to the inside of the shifter so it could slide across the mag cover and spread the load in case of side impact. And on his bike you could see the path where the disc rubbed on the case cover.
    To me it was a cob fix coming from the CH team, but honestly the machine looks a bit dated as it is now.
    The HM Honda of Ahola has a Carbon over cover that is just a half piece to spread any impact loads across the mag or al, engine cover.
    I had a similar E-Line CF overcover for my KTM250 clutch cover that worked well against side impacts from rocks and tip overs. I will look for the WR foto if I have it (I know have the HM set up foto'd)
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
  6. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    So Far Thanx For All The Ideas and Keep them Coming In. Ya know, I am getting some good ideas from all of you!

We just noticed that my son's break lever tip bent up and the side of it cracked his case, about a 1/2 inch in length and lost his oil. We didn't even notice till we hit it with the pressure washer from last race. That is how packed in the mud and leaves were. By the way has anyone had someone weld magnesium? Heliarc? Any success? I do not want to go the epoxy route. Would rather weld it then file, sand and repaint. In other words, Dad doesn't want to fork out $90 for a clutch cover. Darn RM Zooki's. Would rather help him with a new WR 125 at end of summer.
  7. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

the washer is a common cure as posted by me esteemed Husky brothers. I do believe Moose makes a steel shifter lever for the 250 that can be heated and bent any way you desire. Th WR 125 is even more bulletproof. Good choice for even the "heartiest" youth riders. Plus it starts 'em right......on a Husky!
  8. rajobigguy Administrator

Sometimes the shifter shaft has play in it and will move in and out. If that is the case you can contact George at Uptite, he makes a small stepped spacer that goes on the shaft under the shifter and restricts movement. It's a simple fix and works great.:cheers: