1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 08 WR 250 winter teardown ?'s

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by fire1998, Nov 2, 2009.

1. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

After a truly wonderful 09 season on the 08 WR 250, its time to do some winter maintenance. The bike has about 70 hrs on it. Do you think I need new rings or a piston? Air filter was always changed after every ride. Have not noticed any less effort kicking the bike. Still runs like new!! What about the reeds? The origional reeds are still on the bike. How many hours are you guys getting out of your clutch? Apprx 40 hours of the time is from racing enduros/hare scrambles in the B class. Any other suggestions? I plan on tearing apart the linkage also. Suspension is fresh from LTR.
    Thanks
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    these motors are very durable. but the rings do wear and you do loose power. You could just replace the rings but most will say do the piston also. It's cheap insurance and the ticket to 100% performance. Do it. :thumbsup:
  3. 2whlrcr Husqvarna
    A Class

I would do a compression check and take the pipe off and look in the exhaust port, if you don't want to pull the cylinder off. But if you're not going to be riding it for awhile, you might as well pull the cylinder and mic the rings and piston. If it's well within spec, just put it back together.

I never worry about clutches, until they start to slip and for me, that takes a long time.
  4. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Get it done quick and get some studs on her.
    The season is just starting.:D

Pics is from last winter.

[IMG]
  5. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Replace the piston & rings and put another 70hrs on it.

If it aint broke, dont break it :cool:
  6. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I think what HuskyDude meant to say is get it done quickly so she'll be ready for The Battle of Atlanta in January! :applause::busted: Where else you gonna race in January?

At 70 hrs I'd do piston and rings regardless. Cheap insurance against a cracked piston or scarred cylinder. :thumbsup:
  7. fire1998 Husqvarna
    AA Class

wr

Which piston brand should I use? Who has them and how much are they? Looked at the Wiseco website and they don't carry it.
    Thanks
  8. Troy F Collins Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    GGEC 250 Honda RC51 CBR 1000rr CR125
    Definately pull the rear links and swingarm off...and the top shock mount dries out pretty quick too.... do a full regrease with some good stuff like belray waterproof or similar....:eek: not another oil thread....

I would also drop the steering head and clean/repack with waterproof grease there as well.....

I would at least re ring at 70hrs...but your better off with a new piston too...I would stick with OEM...WOZNER..??? You can get this stuff at motorsportz.....I believe

its good to clean out under the ignition cover....things can collect in there

and check all frame fasteners and most important to re torque all engine mounts.....
  9. ARod2000 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I currently have a Wiesco in mine so they do make one for it. I'd use whatever your dealer has or whatever motosportz can get to you quickly
  10. raisrx251 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Check for tightness of the kick start nut too while you are at it. They tend to loosen up over time. I use loc-tite blue.
  11. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

ive heard good things about the stock pistons for these bikes, something about them being coated.

might look into that as im not 100% sure on there being any coating.

might check out your reeds to just to make sure they arent cracked or missing any peices.
  12. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

+1 on the OEM top end parts. Just my 2 cents here, but nothing aftermarket has ever lasted as long in my pumpkins as the original Elko or Vertex OEM stuff. They're usually a bit more $ tho'.