09' 510 starts and runs for three seconds then dies.

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by GUTZY, Mar 10, 2011.

1. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

I currently put the pcv with auto tune on my bike. Go to start it up and it runs for three seconds and dies. Looked everything over and it is hooked up correctly. So I took the pcv off, putting it back to stock. Start it up, same thing happens. What have I over looked. It seems that the ecu is shutting it down for sure. It does not through any codes also. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Gutzy
  2. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

That's bad news. Weird how it's the same going back to stock? HUSKYnXJnWI or BBCMAT are the guys for this one I think.
  3. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

Anyone else with some insight?
  4. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    I'll through some thoughts out there...

If the bike ran fine then you installed the PCV and the problem started- I'd focus on anything that could have been affected by the instalation.
    First, I would inspect the instalation/ wiring of the PCV-AT to your bike. You said you disconected it but I am guessing the PCV is just unplugged. Did you use those quick connectors that splice into the wires by getting crimped that comes with the system? I don't trust those. It is possible to create a short in the wire or make a weak connection. I would definately check those first. Its been reported before. Another thing- ensure you spliced to the correct wires- check the instructions twice. Connecting to the wrong wires can create problems. I don't have a PCV but have noticed that the PCV instructions say to connect to the orange wire which is supposed to be the 3rd from the right in the loom plug- then on here (cafeHusky) they say to connect to the Orange/black striped wire which is 3rd from right.... I wonder which one you connected to? But would be real suspicious of the quick connectors.

Best bet is its going to be a loose connection electrically- trace your steps.

Aside from that, could be bad connection to battery, or weak battery, spark plug cap with carbon trail to cylinder creating archs- watch that area when it dies- you can often see the arch. Loose spark plug wire to coil, bad coil connection. Could have pulled the spark plug wire at instalation and not knew it or lossend thebattery terminal- but most of these should have been there before instalation.

Bad ECU would be a real coincidence short of the instalation being connected worng and also creating damage...
  5. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

HuskynXnWI,
    Thank you for some more insight into my problem. I had it spliced into the ALL orange wire at first, then I put it in the orange with black stripe. Still the same symptoms. So I put the stock ecu back in, same thing happens. Put the upgraded ecu back in, same thing happens. I am going to try a different battery maybe just to rule it out. I did check the valves right before I put the PCV on and they where in spec, so I did not touch them. Everything I have tried had the same outcome. Starts just fine, runs for three seconds and then shuts down. I will go over my wiring connections again, but I soldered everything, but the splice in the factory harness for the tps.

I will get back to you with my findings.

Thanks, Gutzy
  6. MChammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

When the main bearing on my 250 went it did just that. It would start and run for a few seconds/half minute and shut off. I guess what was happening was the bearing heated up and bound enough to stall the bike. I thought the battery was at fault and replaced it, but it did the same thing. When it shuts off, can you turn it over as easily with the kick starter as when the engine was cold?
  7. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

Well I checked everything over again and I have still found nothing. If it would through a code I would have some where to start.
    I don't have a kick start on this bike, but it starts just fine and runs great until it shuts down.

It's just like if you took the mass airflow censer off your car and tried to start it. It runs for a few seconds then the ecu kills it.
  8. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry if I missed anything here, but you fitted the PCV along with the race ECU? So even if there was a wrong connect/short and the race ECU was damaged in anyway, the stock ECU should be good now refitted. Sounds like a donkey suggestion, but have you got enough fuel in her?
  9. dave35 Husqvarna
    A Class

which wire did u splice into on the loom?, it should be third wire in from top right, the color can vary
    i presume u reconneted the fuel pump when u had the tank off,
    cant really see what else would be wrong unless u cracked a wire off a crank sensor
  10. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Although I'm not sure about whether you would get a code, a bad sensor (temp sensor is one that's been faulty on some bikes) might be your issue. There are some other sensors like gear position sensor that COULD be bad.

http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/2011-txc-250-starting-problems.17145/#post-149924
  11. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

Men, thanks for all of the suggestions. Yes, there is gas in the tank, that's for sure. And yes, I reconnect the fuel pump harness. I am no dummy, but I sure am feeling one right now. This has kept me up for the last three nights, and I like my sleep. I can bring it to Heinen's to have it hooked up to I-beat, but I would sure like to figure it out on my own.
    Glangston, I starting to think that one of your suggestions could be on the right track. The bike ran just fine when I put it away last Oct. I have pecked at it all winter doing different things to it. So I have not started it sense then. I just got my exhaust mid pipe back to start it. But I threw the PCV on it first, tried to start it and it ran for three seconds and shut down. Took the PCV off and same thing. Race ecu, same thing. I have rechecked my wiring 5 times, I am + I have it right.

Thanks, Gutzy
  12. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I think what a bad temp sensor would do would be to report to the ECU that the bike is too hot and shut down. The sensors are not expensive and they may even be covering them on warranties.

Good luck.
  13. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    Could airflow be restricted somehow? Like something fell in the airbox or some packing or something is stuck in that new exhaust?
  14. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

Phoenix- I took the air filter off to check and see, nothing. Mid pipe, just got the exhaust hanger bracket re welded, it was wide open when I put it on.

Glangston- This has got to be the problem. I will look in to ordering one ASAP

Does anyone know where the tip over sensor is on these bikes? I was told the smr models have this possibly. Could that maybe the culprit also?
  15. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Tip over sensor is under the seat Gutzy. Mounted horizontally with x2 screws, just by your fuses. I don't know if the other sensors glangston mentioned are looking for specific values, but if possible you could just link them out one at a time, trying to fire her as you go. Might be you fitting the PCV is just a red herring and you would have got the fault anyway [IMG]
  16. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

To be honest, I don't think that the PCV had anything to do with it. It should start up, when in stock configuration. I did take the tip over sensor off, when I took the sub frame off to get the rear shock out. I will check that out.

Thanks to everyone for there input.

Gutzy
  17. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

Problem solved !!

It was the TIP OVER SENSOR. When I took the sub frame off, it was like a month and a half before I reinstalled it. Well, when I put it back together I put the sensor on upside down like a fool. Flipped it and runs like a charm

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me out.

Check ya later, Gutzy
  18. moto66 Husqvarna
    A Class

Nice one! hopefully you can get some sleep now [IMG]
  19. Tee-Dub Husqvarna
    C Class

Nice that it was something simple, it almost always is! I just got my PCV and autotune today. What wire did you tap into for the "switched" power source? They suggest the tail light, if so, which wire?
  20. GUTZY Husqvarna
    A Class

Yup, the dark blue in the tail light harness if I'm not mistaken.