09 Chandler Hill Challenge

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by Chop Suey, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Chop Suey Husqvarna
    B Class

Well I don't post much here but thought I would at least contribute something instead of being a lurker. Not nearly as cool or exciting as most of the threads in here though, meh.

The Chandler Hill Challenge was started three years ago by GLDS (Great Lakes Dual Sporters) and each year it seems to get better! The event is held up our way (Wolverine/Boyne Falls area) and uses parts of the Tomahawk B and C loops, parts of the MCCCT (Michigan Cross Country Cycle Trail), remote two tracks (way remote!!), forest dirt roads, and a little pavement. We did Saturday's ride and rode a total of 110 miles, cutting out some pavement sections because we were'nt interested in burning off knobbies. Was very happy to see about eight Huskies this year, seem to see more on the trail all the time.

Reset after a "hero" section. Don't get excited, the hero sections are better parts of the B and C loops of the Tomahawk Trail system. That's my husband, Mark, and a friend of ours Brian Johnson standing next to their bikes (and the tail of my TE250). Brian recently lost his sole mate to pancreatic cancer and I was proud of him for getting out and doing something fun. He's a former enduro champ and as a result, it was not a very leisurely pace for us! (kind of like riding with BentAero;)) Got very few trail pictures because we were too busy riding and trying to keep up with Brian!
    [IMG]

Random group shot of riders, these guys were all in the same group and giggling like school girls. Always fun to see guys giggling!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Lunch was at the Chandler Township Hall. Great homemade food and I'm all about food!
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

My heros, the desert girls! Passing out chocolate chip cookes and Rice Krispie Treats.
    [IMG]

[IMG]

BMW of Grand Rapids hosted the pig roast for dinner, so lots of BMWs sitting around to tempt everyone (I still think the Huskys are way cooler though).
    [IMG]

Apparently you're never too old to play with your food?
    [IMG]

Dakar Rally bike.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Mark taking off to do the Sunday route on the Big Pig, less the hero sections. Big Pig doesn't like much single track!
    [IMG]

Well that's it for pictures. Always hard to stop and take the time to take them and then after the fact you regret it.

I haven't posted about this, but I traded bikes with my husband this summer; he took the TE250 and I took his KTM200 (don't ask why). After watching me drop the TE250 in the sand this past weekend, and riding Brian's 525, Mark decided that the Husky is too scratched and beat up and he wants a 525 now (lame excuse eh?). So, turns out I get the Husky back, and get to keep the 200:applause:. Sounds like a good deal to me!

Thanks everyone!:cheers:
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Great write up and cool pix. Looks like there are a lot of cool events going on back east at this time of year.:thumbsup:
  3. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hey Chop Suey,
    We put in some miles last Fri, Sat, and Sunday on the B and C routes.
    C was our Saturday ride, sun rain sleet we had it all.
    We had to stash gas for the pinger on the 40 mile loop.;)
    [IMG]
    And one of me on Sat.
    [IMG]
    Then on Sunday after all the wind, we had a few stops to clear downed trees. This is a good climb that we had to stop in the middle of to drag a tree out of the way.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

All in all a fun time.:cheers:
  4. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    Nice write-up, Chop Suey! It's great to see you here! :applause:

I enjoyed the photos, but I didn't see any of you...:( I can relate, though; When Eric and I ride together I usually take 300 photos while he takes maybe 25 :p

Have fun with the 200!

WoodsChick
  5. HuskyT Moderator

Chop Suey!

Great to see you in here! Great write up!!! More Pics of you please!!!

T
  6. Chop Suey Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks everyone! We did the Great Lakes Grand Prix last weekend and I'll do a report on that, it was pretty entertaining. Reddog, you could have stashed gas at our place; we're a quarter mile off the C loop over by Old Sturgeon Road and McEachron. Give us a holler next season!
  7. Reddog Husqvarna
    AA Class

I will keep that in mind for the next go on C.:thumbsup: