1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 09' CR125. What's the scoop?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by PC., Jan 8, 2011.

1. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Do the CR's share the same issues the WR's had when they came out? I remember talk of power valves, motor mounts and pipe hitting the shock resi. I'm going to take delivery of a new 09' cr125 soon and just wondering if any bugs are going to be present or not. This bike will have the 2010 frame if that makes a difference or not :excuseme:

Were there any major changes between the 09 and current models? I dont care about the KYB forks, but were there any major changes to the motor or frame vs. the 2011 model?

Did I mention I am freaking stoked? :D
    I've been itching for a small bore for a while now and a deal finally came along.
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

PC,

I have the 09 CR 125 motor in mine right now and it has none of the issues of the WR. I do have the RM 62 needle in it and that would help yours over the stock power up needle($10). The Fatty pipe is better than the stock pipe but decide if you are going to keep it as a 125 before you buy a pipe. FMF is coming out with a purpose designed pipe for the 144 in the next week. You are going to love this bike.
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice Brandon. :thumbsup:
  4. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Yeah, I am super stoked. I've had small bore fever real bad lately thanks to you junkies :cheers: Thanks for the info Walt. It'll go 144 eventually and then I'll consider a pipe.

Glad to know the motor is dialed. Anyone know about the frame and motor mounts?
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Congrats! I have the 08 CR125 and they are a blast, enjoy.
  6. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had an '09 CR125 but it was recalled by Husky and they replaced it with an '10 CR125 as there was something about a steering head issue on CR frames but perhaps it was a certain serial run but I was under the impression that all '09 CR125 were being recalled state side and dealers have been buying them for parts.
    Anyway mine had the rear shock res being hit by the pipe and it rubs quite the hole in the pipe so I might want to check that before you ride it and my kick starter also hit against the pipe when folded back in.
    Jetting was close for my area sea level and all I did was richen up the needle position one clip and set the idle and it ripped.
    50 mm mazs forks work well and I just loosened the comp up a bit and they felt pretty good though the bike was recalled before I got them too loosened up.
    You'll notice on the '10 & newer CR125 the shock res position is changed as it was known issue with the pipe & shock res position.Also the '10 & up CR125 has a different pipe and silencer then the '09.
    Good luck but I'd check into the frame issue with Husky before I'd go ripping around because as I said earlier it was my understanding that these bikes were recalled here in north america.
  7. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    The bike will have the 2010 frame, but everything else will be from an 09', including the pipe and shock. I'll look check out the pipe/shock area when I get it. What's the fix for this issue? New pipe?

Thanks for the input.
  8. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Too bad you can't get the '10 shock....
    I never found the fix but an aftermarket pipe might be the answer though it's not easy to find an option and there are no guarantees that it'll fix the issue....I just tried bending the mid mount on the pipe but it's awfully tight at the res and you'll notice that when you get the bike....
    Good luck with it outside of the shock res/pipe issue it's a great bike and a lot of fun to ride and I'm sure you'll get that issue resolved without too much cost or effort being you are already aware of it gives you a leg up so don't sweat it...
    The only other issue that I heard of with the '09 was the head stays were prone to cracking so just keep an eye on that as well....I never had that problem but I have heard and read of it...
    Good luck and have fun...
  9. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I can always buy a 2010 shock body and swap over the internals. Assuming the internals are interchangeable. That will be a last ditch effort though.

Does anyone know the real fix for the 09' pipe/shock resi area (besides the 2010 shock)? Does an FMF or PC pipe have more clearance?
    I'd like to have the fix ready and waiting for when I get the bike.

I'm getting the bike with a 2010 frame, so no worries about the head stay cracking. At least, I hope not.
  10. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 09 WR has a FMF pipe and it does not hit anything. I assume everything is the same as the CR.
  11. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks Mark.

I'll take delivery as-is, but I might be bugging you one day to see how the FMF fits. And to ride your WR. I heard you got some new PV's coming :thumbsup:
  12. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    i gotta '09 WR. never heard of a complete recall. strange. same frame no? - edit- ooops...checked the parts fiche, guess not. diff frame it appears.
    pipe: bend the mid mount a bit or wrap the stinger in header wrap. it's pretty close and a dump on the right side or boot that whacks the pipe can shift it, as mine did.
    no issues so far after many many hours, stock bike. jetted the stock Mic carb for my spots, it rips. mreeep!
    stuff cracks and breaks on dirt bikes. keep an eye on everything.
  13. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Being you are already aware of the potential shock/pipe issue don't sweat it...just bend the mid bracket on the pipe so you get a little clearance and ride it till you get a chance to see if an aftermarket pipe will resolve the clearance issue
    There are no issues with the '10 frame so you'll be good to go...hey maybe you'll get lucky and the pipe/shock clearance will be just a smigden better then the '09....
  14. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Welcome to the one two five gang!

I agree with the pointers, bend the mid mount bracket a little. Go have some fun!
  15. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    I had an '09 CR 125 as well. Cody raced it for several months. Aside from crappy pipe quality and the reservoir rub, it was one of the best 2 stroke motors we've every raced. No valve issues... the motor absolutely screamed. Ours was recalled as well. I really miss that bike and am chomping at the bit to see the '11 CR 150's.

FYI, we solved the pipe rub issue by tyrapping the shock reservoir to the left frame. there was enough rotational play in the shock to move the reservoir about 1/4" away from the pipe which was plenty. I also wraped several layers of electrical tape around the reservoir in case the tyrap broke during a race.

Oh, and FWIW, I've ridden the WR 125. There's no comparison, the CR will peel the stickers off the WR. Two completely different animals.

[IMG]

In this pic you can see the black tyrap on the frame.

[IMG]

In this pic you can see the tyrap around the reservoir.

[IMG]
  16. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Thanks krieg!
    That was a good looking bike!!!

I thought the pipe would route under the resi like on the 300, but apparently not. I wonder how the 09' pipe is going to fit on the 2010 frame :thinking:

What was the issue you had with the pipe? Build quality or performance?

I need a spark arrestor regardless, so if the stock pipe sucks I'll just order a pipe/silencer combo and save a few bucks.
    What's the exhaust to have for these bikes? Besides the Doma :cool:
  17. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Good looking machine...

The zip-ty shock res is a good idea, I'll have to try that.

On the 09 WR125 with the FMF Fatty I have the same looking mark on the shock now.

The other problem is the bottom rad hose spout being on the outbound side of the right rad. Bent the pipe during a race and it came to rest against the hose...no noticable damage, but had to do a little more pipe rearranging than I wanted to...

I wonder what radiators with the inbound hose spouts will bolt up to the wr??
  18. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    The build quality was the sole issue. It came new with pin hole leaks at the welds. The frame attachment ear weld broke after 3 races. Performance wise, the bike was the best small bore 2 stroke I've ever ridden. Cody absolutely smoked on that bike. We've raced 2 different KTM 150's (08 and '10) and the CR was a better racer overall. Lighter, handled much better, and the motor was very close to the 150 in performance at mid to upper revs.

The 2010 CR's came with the shock reservoir flipped 90 degrees CCW removing the rub hazard. They also changed pipe manufacturers in 2010 to someone who could actually weld (250 and 300 pipes too).
  19. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Brandon,

2010 frame is virtually the same and everything will bolt up. I would ask Bill if he won't throw in the recall replacement pipe that Husky sent out for the 09's. It still isn't the best low end pipe compared to the fatty, but mid-range is improved over the original 09 pipe that was marginal. It also ducks around the reservoir so that is not an issue. If I get an FMF Fatty 150 pipe I would be willing to let the stocker go pretty cheap. I always want at least two pipes. I blow out my own dents and dings but if you are 1000 miles from home and you crush a pipe it sucks not to have a back up.
  20. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Oops, I gave out bad info. I just had my pipe off and noticed it is rubbing.