1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 09 Voltage Rectifier AC or DC?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Blakelpd5, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    I believe my "voltage rectifier" as Hall's parts fiche calls it (part # 8000 75348) is bad. I was told it is AC, but cant confirm this by looking at the unit. With my multi-meter it is reading 7.0V when running in AC. In DC, my multi-meter says 2.3 volts.

So my questions is simply is it AC or DC?

I need to find one tomorrow and get it installed to make a ride this weekend I'm going on.

Pics of it below. It has a nice crack in the back, so I'm sure this is part of the reason it went on the blink..

Both numbers go up by .1 or .2 when I rev it.

I need some power since my little sissy fingers are getting cold in this weather. My grip heaters and headlight stopped working at the same time on our last trip to MOAB, but I never investigated until I'm having a hard time staying warm.

Also, in unrealted news, I broke the :censored: Kick Starter bolt off. The threads are still in there, and the head of the bolt is sitting next to me. Going to try to get it out, and if not, then out comes the drill and tap.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Not sure on your question but here is what a rectifier is used for ...

A rectifier is an electrical device that converts alternating current (AC), which periodically reverses direction, to direct current (DC), which flows in only one direction. The process is known as rectification.
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  3. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Yes by defenition a rectifier "rectifies" AC into DC. For sure the only way your stator produces any electricity is by permanent-magnet AC generation, as the north, then south, seeking poles of the magnets pass by the wirecoils.

I've never seen a rectifier with only one wire. I thing that is an AC voltage regulator. Typically a rectifier has at least two leads, one for incoming AC, one for outgoing DC.

Anyway, anytime the potting material is cracked on the back, it usually does mean that it is done for. That crack probably "let the smoke out"! And noone I have ever met knows how to put the smoke back in once it's been set free!:D
    jmetteer likes this.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

My experience is that it is always expensive to put the smoke back in electrical components. :D Had a 460V 60hp variable speed drive for a pump that filled the pump house with smoke. That was very expensive putting the smoke back in. :lol:
    MotoMarc36 likes this.
  5. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, I ended up going to my local shop, and they were clueless (as i figured they would be). I came right home, and did what I should of done in the first place (but I was hoping to have a replacement in my hand today).

I called Bill's Motorcyles Plus. Bryon said "hold on, let me check if we have one"... 30 seconds later, "Yep, got it right here"... Should be at my door tomorrow, unless usps screws up somehow. Man you guys are awesome!!!
  6. Island Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is the voltage regulator and not the rectifier,the rectifier has 4 connections usualy 2 marked with ac symbol and 2 with +&-symbol.
    Yes it is good to keep the fire on the inside of the wire
    ohmygewd likes this.
  7. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the info. I was acutally a bit surprised when I got this unit from Bill. It has 4 leads coming out of the housing. 3 of them are flush cut with the housing, and the other "yellow" lead is still there. I thought someone hacked it up, so I cleaned up the old one, and looked at it. Same thing! They come this way from the factory. Another cost-saving deal, which I don't mind, as long as it works!

AND IT DOES!!!

I can't believe it... I put my $30 grip heaters on over a year ago. 80hrs later, they are still working. I figured once i replaced that regulator, I would find one or both shorted out, but NOPE! I think it's all about how you run the wires, especially on the throttle side.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  8. Island Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

4 leads 3 cut off makes you wonder if it is just the european version and it is a regulator rectifier.Honestly never noticed the cut wires on mine.