1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 09 Wr 300 water pump ?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by redbone, Nov 26, 2009.

1. redbone Husqvarna
    AA Class

The water pump on the WR300 has a drain bolt on the cover. How tight is that bolt supposed to be? I did a once over on the bike today and it seemed loose. I tightened it a little but it seems that it doesn't really want to tighten up. It looked like it had a little o-ring in there. I pulled the bolt out to check the threads and all looked well. Oh yeh, when I pulled the bolt out just a little bit of fluid came out. I figured being a drain bolt I would have lost a lot of fluid? Please advise!
  2. BikeSDP Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None @ moment
    Other Motorcycles:
    990 Adv, Multistrada 1200, 500 EXC
    I had mine out when I refilled the fluid after replacing a damaged hose. It's just an M5 or M6 bolt, so I tightened it with a nut driver. I thought it had a copper crush washer on it, so it shouldn't take much force to seal it up.
  3. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

It has a washer with a rubber o-ring type seal built in to it around the hole. I just snug mine up with a little 8mm T handle, about as tight as you would a trans oil level check plug, and it stays snug.

Now, the thing that bothers me,......When you pulled the plug a stream of coolant the diameter of the drain hole should've shot out at you and continued until either you replaced the plug or the entire cooling system had emptied!

Take the radiator cap off and check to make sure it is full of coolant. If it is then remove the drain bolt and rod out the hole with a piece of wire or something. If nothing comes out still, remove the water pump cover via the two bolts on either side of the drain bolt, and check for an obstruction of some sort. If there isn't anything apparent, then the only other thing I can think of is un-drilled out water passages in the lower cylinder like Sooper Arthur had on his 250,........But Krieg had this bike for cryin' out loud,....If there was anything like that wrong with it he'd have surely found it long ago. :confused:
  4. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

If the radiator cap was on and cold engine it would only drip.
  5. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Well that's quite possibly true. I've never tried that to know. Anytime I've needed to drain my coolant I've always removed the radiator cap first so it could vent and dump out.
  6. redbone Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks guys! Thats what it had to be, the bike was cold and the radiator cap was on. I checked the level in the radiator after I reinstalled the drain plug and it was fine. I guess I'm just paranoid. Thanks again!