1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 09 WR125 jetting and fuel mileage comparison (2 WR125's)

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bought my 09 WR125 a while back, a buddy rode it and had to have one. We set his up and went ridding. I am getting 10 mpg better than him on the same ride :eek: :excuseme: What the heck?

His setup...

4.0 slide
    kit needle
    went from a 40 pilot to a 30 as he could not find a 32.5
    460 main

Mine...

5.0 slide
    kit needle in the middle position
    32.5 pilot
    480 main

So other than the slide he is running leaner on paper. We are going to work on it but I'm shocked his gets 10 mpg less than me. Cant he slide make that much difference?

[IMG]
  2. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

What kind of riding was it? If you spent a lot of time in the low mid and on the pilot circuit, it would make a big difference. If you are both ripping all the time, not so much.

I get over 30mpg on my 360 and only about 25 on my 250. Both are jetted almost identically with pwks, but you just don't need to crack much throttle on the 360 to go way to fast. So it also makes a difference on how you ride and how well you control your throttle. I realize this is obvious, but tell that to the nascar guys who lose on gas mileage.

FWIW
    Walt
  3. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Do you think the two different pipes might have something to do with it? I get my WR 125 on Monday, but I don't get the replacement pipe for another couple of weeks.

Kelly, I sent you a pm about the mount you made for the roto pax mount. I can go heavy, but would like to make it as light as possible and have it still take the abuse. Please advise about what you used.

Can't wait to rip on mine,
    Walt
  4. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is he one the pipe and wide open all the time? The only other thing I can think of is his float might be too high and causing a lot of loss.
  5. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

how you ride has lots to do with gas milage.

gearing, tires, tire pressure, chains, body weight, load weight, if one of you has an auto clutch. all that can make a difference.

its a 125 2 stroke, its not going to get great milage regardless. i knew mine was going to get crap milage. my 250 was worse then my 400, so i wasnt shocked when like i expected my 144 gets worse milage then my 250. your wrapping them out to make power so your using more fuel then you might be used to.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Other than the pipe and the jetting i noted everything is the same. We ride the same stuff, about the same speed and work the throttle about the same. He was leaking out the overflow but fixed that several rides ago. Puzzling.
  7. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Kelly weighs more... :D

maybe he is using less gas on the downhills...

:lol:

Later,
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I bet it is the amazing traction of the motoz tires, my rear wheel slips 10 miles less per gallon. :D
  9. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Kelly,

How did you like the new motoz you installed? I think it was the tracula.

Walt

What size did you put on and which is your recommendation for the WR 125 in semi-similar stuff, probably a little rockier and looser.
  10. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Why don't you trade bikes for a day?
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    We trade off quite a bit. Regardless our riding style is almost exactly the same as is our speed. It is something else.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I really liked it. It does not hook up on roots as well as the more open Enduro IT but handles corners better, holds a line better. They are very comparable. In the loamier stuff it almost hooked up to well and the 125 labored at times to turn it. I just ordered some terrapactors which are the most open / mud type to try soon. I want to be personally up on all the models but these things wear so slow it is hard to get to the next model. :D
  13. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    What one are you going to put on the new 390?

:busted:

Later,
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Quiet, no one can know about that. :D
  15. fitness2go Husqvarna
    AA Class

Jake...are you back to a trials tire?

16. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

17. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    Not yet on the husky. :cool:

Later,
  18. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Hey guys,

Went for my first real ride on my 09 WR 125. I had put half a dozen heat cycles on the bike last night and this morning, so it was time to go for a ride. My jetting that I had for the ride:

460 main
    kit needle with clip in the fourth position from the top
    30 pilot
    #4 slide

Took it pretty easy for the first 10 miles or so letting it cool down twice after about 5 miles each time. Then it was time to let it go and what a blast. If the TXC 250 handles as well or better than this I want one no matter what I have to do. That would make a great tandem in the garage. I am an old fat guy and what a stress free ride. Hardly broke a sweat in 85 degree weather.

I did a WOT chop when I got back to the truck to check the main jet. I had pulled the plug during the ride and it was OK. Pilot was a tad fat and I put in a 27.5, mid-range was spot on. That WOT chop was way to light brown for my taste so I went to a 470 and got a much better chocolate brown and it still runs clean. So after the ride before I did any jetting I refilled and computed fuel mileage= 27.5 mpg. Now granted I took it pretty easy the first 10 miles but the last 20 were smoking for me.

My only issue with the motor is that there is 1000-1500 rpm gap between the top of the mid-range pull and when the power valve starts to open. It makes riding a bit tricky on steep crap because the second you back off for a second the bike falls below the pv opening rpm and then labors to pull itself back on without dropping at least 2 gears and clutching the crap out of it:excuseme: Not so bad everywhere else because the mid range is surprisingly strong for a 125 and will pull most moderate stuff.

Did Husqvarna get a batch of too stiff springs that take any progressive opening of the pv away? It is very abrupt with the pv opening all the way virtually immediately once you attain enough rpms, which wouldn't be so bad if it happened 2000 rpm earlier instead of at 9000rpm.

Any thoughts,
    Walt
  19. John47 Husqvarna
    B Class

PV Spring

Wallybean, took my pv spring out, held it to a grinding wheel, and took some metal off the outside of the spring, made it a little easier to open. Just a guessing game, but it worked great. The other european competitor offers opitional springs for there 2 st. I'll bet Husky has a box full of different weight pv springs. Be nice if they offered them in there race catalog.
  20. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    How do figure your rpm numbers?