1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 09 WR250 - PWK will not fit properly

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by johnnyBgood, Nov 10, 2010.

1. johnnyBgood Husqvarna
    B Class

I just bought a pwk air striker from motosportz , 38mm to replace my 38mm TMX on a 09 WR 250 . The PWK is longer thus taking some of the snap out of the motor the shorter the carb more snap , anyway back to the story , when in stalled it pushes the air box boot into the rear shock spring it also buckles the boot alittle I dont like that at all , It all looks subject to cracking and the spring rubbing a hole in the boot and yes it is installed correctly . Has anyone had this problem be for . I did run the pwk for a short time and it seemed to crank alittle better and idle alittle better but thats about all I prefer the snap and over all preformance of the TMX . So dont believe all the PWK hipe over the TMX , once dialed in and jetted properly the TMX works great . anyone want a PWK air striker cheap ;)
  2. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Did you spend the time to dial in the jetting on the PWK? I put a PWK on my '09 WR125 and had the same issues with the boot rubbing on the shock. I ended up cutting .5 inches off the boot to cure the problem. At least on the 125 (with the 144 kit) the PWK definitely helped the low and mid snap once jetted.
  3. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    My 2008 CR125 has the same airboot contact issue with the shock spring.

LawnDartMike: Can you post a pic of your modified airboot? Is the boot clamp prone to sliding off with the "molded ridge" of boot material cut-off? ... OR are you modifying the reed valve boot and moving the carb forward more? :confused:
  4. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

Here is what I did:

[IMG]

You will need to hold the clamp in position when tightening but I had no issues with it popping off.

Edit: I forgot to say that the TMX will no longer fit so there is no going back unless you pick up a new boot.
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Keep in mind that the bikes that use the old TMX (all 250/300, 08 and older 125s) are not nearly as tight of a fit as the 09 and up 125. I never really noticed any problems with a PWK on a WR250. You should be able to get much better low end with the PWK but it will take some jetting. I imagine you can find lots of suggestions on this board.
  6. johnnyBgood Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for the info peeps , I think I will try and stick with the pwk for a while being how I just bought it , crap ! I will fix the shock airboot contact when I do I,ll post it here . I,m not going to cut it either sents I may want to go back to the TMX.
  7. LawnDartMike Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did notice when I replaced the boot that the rub area was at the top edge of where the boot wraps around the shock. On the 125 there is room in the mounting holes to rotate the boot a few degrees which helped with my rubbing issue but didn't get rid of it completely. I now have two boots since I'm trying the TMX again with different needles but I am still liking the PWK better if it wasn't for the fitment issues.
  8. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    On my 125 08 - with PWK I noticed boot was close to shock but not causing an issue
    I wouldnt cut anything unless you want to buy amother boot.
    I havent done much riding but IMO PWK does need to be run fairly lean to get good power . Low end fairly rich to stop any bog. Its more gives more consistant power low to mid - slightly less top end
  9. MattR 2T Forum Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WB165, SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ1
    My '08 appears to be "light contact" when bike is on a stand. I did notice as the bike's suspension is compressed, the shock angle changes slightly and a minimal gap appears between boot and coil spring. So perhaps I'm just paranoid when seeing it on the stand.

I rode my bike this way over the summer, so when I pull the carb for winter jetting I will take a closer look at boot wear. Depending upon actual wear I may do the boot vasectomy.

Thanks for the pic LawnDartMike. :cheers:
  10. dave35 Husqvarna
    A Class

the newer type pwk on the left is shorter (fitted to ktms yz kx]
    [IMG]