1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 09 WR300 5 month report

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by KXWR, Feb 7, 2010.

1. KXWR Husqvarna
    C Class

First a few pictures:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Nice bike
    Are you happy with the PC pipe and muffler ? Have you tried the original muffler on the pro-circuit pipe? - may give you better torque if you need it
    - looks like it needs protection ...
  3. KXWR Husqvarna
    C Class

So far I have a love hate relationship with this bike.I bought the very first production PC platinum 2 pipe only to find that I had to use the PC silencer or spark arrester.The exhaust system fits good and overall the package is about 20% lighter than stock but so much stronger and better looking.Every PC pipe I ever bought did the same thing for each bike.The powerband is smoother and easier to use and I get to stretch each gear a little farther before I need to shift.The stock set-up made the bike quickly jump from low to high revs making it difficult to handle in the hills and tight single track.The bike fell over on the clutch cover side and cracked it.I put JB weld on both sides of the cover and no problems with leaks.The stock cover is expensive to replace so I hope someone comes out with a nice billet piece.I put the ZipTy shift tip on the stock lever and it is 15mm longer so it's really nice for my size 12 boots.The kickstand springs don't work very well so I added a KTM kickstand holder.I bought a skidplate through MotoSpotz but it didn't fit so I sent it back and made one out of diamond plate for ten bucks.The Mecca System frame guards are about the worst fitting things I ever bought and the holes didn't line up worth a crap.After a lot of tweaking and enlarging of the holes I got them to fit and they look pretty good I think. Jetting seems to an issue with this bike.I got it to run pretty good but compared to my 04 KX250 it's just not clean all the through the powerband especially that little off idle hesitation.I ordered the full power jet kit and should get it next week.The majority of people seem to agree that the Gay needle is the ticket on the third clip setting.The suspesion is pretty good stock and the bikes jumps really good and I like the steering.I was a little disappointed in how the bike ran in the Southern California hills.It doesn't chug along as easily as my old 04 KTM300EXC did.I have to ride at higher revs to get up some of the steaper hills.I went to a 49 rear sprocket and that helped some so I'm looking forward to trying the new needle.After five months the reviews I read were pretty close.This bike loves third gear and it runs really good on the pipe but it still can't pull my KX250 on the track.With more time I'm confident that I'll get this bike running the way I want it to but out of the crate it has some annoying traits but nothing worse than that.
  4. KXWR Husqvarna
    C Class

I race in the 40 amatuer division with the Socal OTMX club.These pictures were taken by the club photographer at Glen Helen.It's nice racing with people your own age and we recently started using transponders so the divisions are very equally matched up.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Steve-oh likes this.
  5. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Bike looks good... You look better.:thumbsup:

Great air shot. :cheers:
  6. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I wonder if something is wrong if it can't pull a 04 KX250. That was supposed to be a really slow MX bike. I have a buddy who had a 03 and I could out pull it easy on my 02 WR250. I rode one WR300, which I think was stock, and it felt real fast to me.

The Mikuni is a pain to jet. Hope the kit you get fixes it. If not a PWK should work really well.
  7. Johnnymannen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi! johnny from Sweden here. I have a -10 WR 300 with the full power jet kit with the GAY needle. i think my bike works quite good with that needle, but i have changed to a needle named DEY15-74, recommended from a Huskydealer in Finland. This needle gives the bike a better idle and off idle. Smoother. It richen up the fuel from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle. I use it now here and we have about zero to -5 degrees Celsius now. I have it middle clip pos. Worth a try! You need to go down on the pilot jet I changed from 45 to 40.

Johnny.
  8. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    Good explanation on how that PC pipe performs. I just installed one myself and found the stock carb settings are all wrong for it, which I believe to be a huge reason for the uninspring performance.

I think I'm done with this Mikuni carb. Rather than waste more money on needles and jets I'm going to do the Keihin swap, which I'm more familiar with and already own an assortment of jets & needles.

I agree that the bottom end is quite a bit smoother than the 04' KTM300exc I've ridden. My buddy owns that bike, but he has the SX piston and head mods and a gnarly pipe, so I'm not sure how it ran stock. The KTM certainly hits harder on the bottom, but the Husky used to pull harder on top (although I'm not sure after installing the PC pipe now).

I also have an 06' KX250 and its in a far more aggressive state of tune (bone stock) than the Husky. It does feel faster, but I think they'd be real close in an all out drag and that 06' kx motor is an animal. I've ran neck and neck with a few 450's on the WR in a drag races until running out of gears, so I'm surprised you think your 04' kx can pull it. The 300 is stupid fast, but the smooth power delivery sure hides it well compared to a full blown MX'er, which wants to jump out from underneath you.

Thanks for posting your opinions! I love my WR, but I have my gripes (mostly stupid things that should have never made it out of the factory). Its far and away the most effective bike I've owned for trail riding and I felt at home on it from minute #1. Something I cannot say for any other bike I've owned.
  9. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I didn’t know you also had a 06 KX. You have quite a selection of fast bikes. I don’t think the 04 motor was anything like the 06 though. All the mags said it was slow and I know my buddies 03 (same motor I believe) was slow. It was not even close to your WR300, or even a good running WR250 for that matter.

On the Keihin, last time I looked the best price by far was from service Honda. I think the 2000 CR250 carb was about $165. The next cheapest I found was munn racing with a ktmtalk discount. I think it was around $185. I don’t remember which model I looked at but I am fairly sure the older 250/300 had the PWK. The newer KTM keihins are the PWM and too short.
  10. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I just recently got the KX on a trade. It's a beast of a motor.
    Probably the fastest stock 250 I've ever ridden.

I called SH and they quoted me $171.64 for a 2000 CR250 carb (p/n 16100-KZ3-J21) and
    I pulled the trigger. I would like the JD needles, but not for $80 and I already own all the jets he would have included. I'll follow up later.....

Thanks for the SH advice buddy :thumbsup:
    Hope we get to do some riding soon!
  11. KXWR Husqvarna
    C Class

I also had a 2007 SX250.When it came time to trade in a bike towards the WR300 the 04 KX250 stayed,it runs that good.I agree with PC,excellant motor.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  12. Flipper Husqvarna

I do realize this probably isnt the thread to ask but i a have to. Where did you get the aluinium frame guards? they look awesome and i like the coverage!!!

thanks
  13. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    i'll second on that .
  14. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

You are more patient than me. I chucked the Mikuni after a week of the jetting changing every time the weather changed, or I went up or down in elevation 500 feet. JD Jetting has a brand new Kiehin with the jetting kit already installed. Problem solved.
  15. PowerKord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 WR 250 Sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Sherco SE-R 250
    Yes, tell us where you got the frame guards and how much they were please!