1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 09wr300 overheats

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by zilly, Jul 12, 2013.

1. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I just got back from a ride in the mts and my bike is totally overheating. Rode these trails lots of times never an issue. I am losing fluid out the overflow (I think) and there is no noticeable water in my transmission. Bke got extremely hot but I had to ride it out.

When I got home I had maybe a 1/4 cup of fluid!

I have recently changed the jetting a little but I was losing rad fluid before I did this.

I also replaced the top o ring and gasket on top of motor thinking that was the issue.

Could I just not be getting enough fluid in when I fill it-am I that stupid?

I have seen some stuff about burping the rad and thought I had done that. I'm just really at a loss here and would welcome any advice.

Also if you know what temps do your wr's run at?
  2. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Airlock or bad pump.
  3. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Or a bad cap??
  4. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Try a new cap. Also check to make sure that one of the radiators isn't damaged. My TE450 was overheating and boiling last summer because of a very small crack in one of the radiators. It wasn't losing much coolant through the crack, but the amount of pressure it lost caused the bike to overheat and boil very easily. I replaced the radiator and the problem went away.
  5. bigriver Husqvarna
    AA Class

Going too slow
    NvRider55 likes this.
  6. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    The radiators have recently been repaired (bad wreck last year) so I hope that's not the issue.I am hoping its a cap issue or an air lock but not sure how to get that air lock out.

I do like the idea of going faster but I know how slow I am and I think I'm stuck with that speed.
  7. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    I have an '09 250. I rarely loose coolant. Only when i'm creeping along while revving for prolonged periods which I try to avoid.

What are you using for coolant? I run straight distilled water + water wetter.

As far as burping I just fill them slightly above the fins then rock the bike gently from side to side and top it off. Then I go on a short ride and check it again.

My buddy also has an '09 who did have overheating problems when getting stuck on a rock or root or whatever. He got some of the oversized chinese rads on ebay and says they work better.
  8. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    If your overheating problems started after having the rads repaired I would say your answer's there somewhere. For example, did the repairer blank the rads to stop dirt ingress and you have fitted a pipe unknowingly? or, has the repair itself caused a restriction. Otherwise, it sounds like you've checked the easy stuff so i would be looking at the pump itself.
  9. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I ordered a new cap last night. Really hoping that the cap I had on there was defective or not strong enough. Headed out of town for a few days but I will get busy when I get back and let everyone know what happens.

This bike never overheated until I switched out clutch perches and got the clutch adjustment wrong and the drag made it burp fluid at the 2012 golden spike (thats my theory anyways). Do the caps fatigue? I am wondering if once it burps fluid does that spring get weaker?

Anyways I broke my wrist pretty badly on my next ride and also mashed both radiators. I was able to ride again last winter but outside temps were cooler and winter riding where I live is desert riding so higher speeds and cooling issues were not so obvious.

Thanks for the help.
  10. Lincolnlock Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you are running a screen type spark arrestor, make sure that it is clean.
  11. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    I tried earlier this spring to get the end cap off but was unsuccessful. Weird because the stock muffler on my cr125 was a piece of cake. I will look again at that.
  12. zilly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 wr300, 04 cr125
    Have the new stronger cap on and am going to run water wetter for my ride tomorrow. It's really hot here-100 in the valley so it will still be hot in the mts.

I did notice that I had a very small drip occasionally at the bottom of the right radiator where the hose attaches. I am wondering if that nipple is slightly out of round? I checked the hose and I can't see a crack in it.

Oh well, I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

By the way any of you that have temp sensors what is the operating range for your bikes?