'10 TXC250 off idle different in gear vs neutral

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by JonXX, Mar 16, 2014.

1. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    As the title suggests, my TXC250 (stock injector, JDTuner dialed in to my liking and the TPS zeroed out) runs off idle differently in neutral than it does in gear. In neutral, it rolls on no problem, whacks open no problem and never misses a beat. The moment that it's in gear, the slightest touch of the throttle and it's 50/50 that it'll take off or stall. Idle, no sweat. But try to take off smoothly and it may or may not take off. It doesn't seem to matter where I have the JD set for this. My workaround has been to keep it revved up out of the idle program to put it in gear and take off. I'm not fond of that...

There's a wire that runs up from behind the shifter, I assume it's the neutral sensor for the ECU, I have *not* yet traced it looking for a break or short. Is this a possible cause of this malady?

Other than this issue it runs tops and I'm tickled pink with it.
  2. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I think you are right on the wire ... I think it got broke off my 08 TXC250 and it had no effect on my bike, if my memory is correct ...

--
    You are saying the bike dies even before you start engaging the clutch to more forward? I.E. - You are just sitting with the bike in gear, clutch disengaged, and you bib the throttle and the bike might die?
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    The gear position sensor ("idle transponder assy") is able to know all 7 positions and sends that data to the ECU via different resistance values for each position.

Is it only 1st gear that it misbehaves, or does it also misbehave in 2nd gear?

[IMG]
  4. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Correct.

Any gear other than neutral.
  5. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Problem solved by setting the idle speed even higher. I was warned that it might be hard to start, but it hasn't been yet.
  6. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Good news on the fix!
    --
    How has owning an EFI bike been for you and how many hrs on that bike?
  7. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah I'm totally tickled with it now, I spent yesterday evening readjusting the JD more toward performance like it should be rather than being a partial workaround for this issue.

Generally speaking I'm not a huge fan of EFI; I can fix a carburetor with a rock and a stick if need be, and there are no sensory feedback elements to have to maintain (gear position, temp, throttle position - more sensors to fail). But the bike is snappy and I have faith in its reliability.

I don't *know* how many hours are on it, but I've got maybe 40-50 hours on it, and I suspect from conversations with the original owner that I've put roughly half of the bikes total hours on.