1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc '12 WR150 vs WR300 for technical NorthEast trails?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Tommy V, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    Looking to pick up a new bike soon and would like some input from those of you that own these. I currently ride an '02 CR125 with a WR ignition/Flywheel/and Ferracchi 134 kit. It has to be the most forgiving, easy to live with, fun to ride bikes Ive ever owned. I have a ProRaptor easy pull clutch so its pretty much one finger all day long, starts 1st kick in gear with practically the weight of my boot, never overheats, stops on a dime, is easy to pick up when I make a dumb mistake, handles great...I could go on...lol!
    So my choice should be obvious right...WR150 for all the same reasons. But! I also own a BMW G450X which is going bye bye, but I love the torque of the 450 and in the low power setting it climbs like a goat! (Its like a monkey F-ing a football in the turns) but it might be my favorite power curve of any bike ive owned.
    So my thought is, If the 300 has the smooth, luggable power of my 450 and comes close to the lightweight feel and handling of my 125 then it might be perfect
    Most of the riding I do is technical, rocky, rooted, tight NorthEast woods, a bit of tight south Jersey pines as well as some ECEA enduros and HareScrambles.
    Im 6'2" and 180lbs so the bit of added weight on the 300 is no problem. My questions/concerns are as follows:
    Starting: Can the 300 starting issues be sorted easliy to make it a reliable 1-2 kick bike? How much force is required to kick? any worse than a fresh yz250? The 150 shoud win this round hands down..

Clutch pull: If I go with the 300 I plan on installing an auto clutch but I cant stand a hard clutch pull. seems like a Pro Raptor lever or Hydro unit will do the trick but again the 150 should always be easier right? trade off is auto clutch with less use of lever on 300 or easier pull but constant use of lever on 150...

Weight: Ive read that the actuall weight of the 150 is around 218 with no fuel. What is the 300 ?
    Not a big issue but worth thinking about especially when descending a steep loose hill!

Handling and power: I know power delivery always has an adverse effect on handling so how do the two compare? My 125 settles nicely into turns and is effortless to throw around or up and over a big log. The power never really surprises me is is never out of control. How smooth can the power of the 300 be when jetted properly? I know the 300 puts out way too much peak power for 90% of my riding but can it be massaged into a freindly, easy to live with at the end of a 5 hour grueling muddy enduro, machine? Anyone try a G2 slower pull throttle and a Rekluse?

Lap times: Not that Im serious enough to time myself but in general I feel like Im hauling ass on my 125 and just crawling along on my 450 but judging by the speed of my riding buddies they arent too far off. I tend to ride at lower rpms and focus on carrying speed through corners and always be smooth and relaxed as possible. I find the more I rev the 125 I tend to make more mistakes, loose traction etc... Is the 300 better suited to my style? Btw... I pretty much drool when I hear the sound of the 300 on youtube clips : )

Either way my 125 is a keeper so maybe if I go with the 300 I can have my cake and eat it too.
    Thanks
  2. haulin husky7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13 txc310, 2000 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 TM 300en, 93 KLX650R, 1975 XR75
    I have a wr250 and ride tight east coast trails, if you ride the bike a gear or two high you will find no problem riding in technical conditions, but beware if you ride the bike in the power it will wear you out. Im quite certain the 250-300 will out lug any 450 at least any ive ridden, again for smoothness ride the bike a gear or two high.
    Pedec likes this.
  3. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    WB165 Kit.... I have a wr125, and a crf450r. I love my 450 for hill climbing and the dunes, but like you said, the 125 platform is the bomb-shizzle... If you haven't seen the thread already, check out the WR200 thread. This is the perfect bike. Has crazy power in the low, and mid range, and still screams up top. Best of all, its still the true 125 handeling.
  4. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    My 300 has cable clutch that is nothing for me because I have been riding a 610 for the last 4 years straight. I keep a spare cable in my back pack when riding and have changed it on the trail before.

You don't have to go mad on the clutch with a 300 because they pull from so low in the revs.

I change springs, valves, oil, oil height and shimm stacks on all my bikes so suspension will be setup properly and I don't race very often.

Basically if you ride the 125 Like a 300 you will die in no time. Think of the 300 as a 4 stroke with no maintenance!

Stu
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My WR150 weighs 216lbs no gas ready to ride otherwise. Lights , barkbusters and other enduro equipment. Get the 150 and if that isn't enough get a 165 kit.
  6. Steve-oh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04RM250, 05XR100,07PW80,41 Harley
    My 300 has a Rekluse Z-start pro with a race head. Went riding last weekend for the first time with these mods and found it to be very smooth. Power delivery/hit wasn't any more than my RM250 which has a heavy FFW and a Revloc Dynaring. But where it shines is the torque and traction it puts down. This thing can climb and lug right down. We climbed some good size coulée hills where my friends KX 250 struggled to get up the WR had no problem. The engine never stalled once and I had the back wheel locked up most of the way down the hill. +1 for the Rekluse. Handling wasn't an issue. It does feel a bit bigger then my Zuke. I suspect the suspension will settle in a bit more since it only has 80 km on it which is mostly road riding. The size of the bike is not an issue for me since I'm 6'1". It does feel much more planted than my RM 250. My son says his KTM 250xc feels similar to my WR.
    I still need to get out to do some trails in the mountains for a better feel for the bike but so far so good.

Steve-oh
  7. windsurf Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 2010 WR300 and have never ridden the 125, so can't comment on that. I did however own G450X which I thought was probably the worst creation ever invented by man (please don't take my critisism personaly) the only plus side for the entire bike was the traction available. The WR300 is completely different to the BMW so I think it would be best not to compare by thinking you are getting the best of both worlds.
    Powerwise the 300 has loads of low down torque especially if you fit a PWK and race head. The gearing can be a little low if you are doing a lot of road Ks, but the ratios suit the power delivery perfectly, particularly for technical stuff.
    The weight is considerably less than the G450X with the suspension in a different league especially if you had the early 2007 G450.
    Maintenance is almost zero again by comparison with the 450, no 70hr crank rebuilds, exploding clutches etc etc.
    I dont know about your 450 but mine would get hot very quickly in the gnarly stuff sounding like a boiling kettle most of the time, so far after about 3000Ks of tight single track often very slow the 300 hasn't showed any signs of overheating.

Starting is not an issue, usualy 1st or 2nd kick providing you set the jetting correctly. I know the BMW has got it's fans but as you can see I wasn't one of them, fortunately I managed to trade the BM for the Husky. I am certain you will be delighted with a 300 if you get one.
  8. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    I totally agree on the BMW, the only reason I even admitted owning one was to give an idea of the type of power I like. The chassis design on that bike was odd to say the least. Luckily I got it at cost when I was working as a BMW tech. I will def check into the 165 kit. Central Jersey Cycles has a '10 CR125 listed for $5000, how would that with 165 compare to '12 wr150? Is the new chassis that much better?
  9. DaveG321 Husqvarna
    A Class

Don,t even think of paying 5K FOR THAT ,THERE ARE 2 2011 WR150,S in CT,Roost or something like that.in the town of Thompston CT for 4,500.00 brand new.2012,s are only 5,900.00 with 2 top ends.I,m 49 and still prefer 125,s,I also ride tight tech. stuff.
  10. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    good to know...think I prefer the WR anyway. Its def a tough decision. Doesnt help that another dealer near me has the '12 KTM 300XC for $7600
    but I probably shouldnt mention that here :o
  11. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    The 165 will blow the doors off the 144, aka 150... I ride an 09, and it turns on a dime.

And yes, you could find a WAY WAY WAY better deal than 5k. Is that left-over stock, or used?????
  12. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    i'm in love with my WR144 for tight NE trails. effortless little goat to ride. already have a 165 kit waiting to go on :D cant wait.

sooo, sooo glad i didnt go with a WR250 or 300, almost bought a brand new one. then a used 250 off a fast B rider, he said the power of the 250 was 'almost too much for the tight stuff at times'.

all the chatter on CH here about the little WR is true, awesome little bikes for the woods. i only rode my TC250 ONCE last season!
  13. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    My buddy has a 300 and I had a 125... Sold it for a 300... Traded it for a ktm200... Hoping I sell it quick so I can get back to a 150.... Another words stay with what works... 300 was a lot of bike after about two hours....
    tnttimber likes this.
  14. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    If you believe in signs from above, I open my mailbox today and there it is...the new DirtBike mag with a test on the 2012 WR150. Overall very positive review. There are def some really good reasons for me to stick with the 125/150...Its the least expensive bike Im considering-Its easily tagged here in NJ-Its the lightest, least complicated, easiest to maintain and it even matches the new boots I just bought.LOL :banana:
    Blakelpd5 likes this.
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I believe in signs from above.... '12 WR125/150 is in your future!