1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125/144/165 vs TC/TXC 250

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by surfer1100, Feb 20, 2013.

1. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Hi guys, been a while since I started a thread on here!

For those that don't know me..I've owned several Huskies specifically an 07 WR 125 and and 09 WR/CR 144, both of which were significantly modded. Currently on a TM 125 MX.

I am seriously considering an X Lite, most likely a 10 TC 250 for the simplicity(especially if K's Lectron test is brilliant) and minimal weight.

I am asking in the 2T forum, because I know several of you have ridden both and/or own both.

I am interested in the 4T for something different, longer range, ability to be slightly more lazy, etc.

My biggest concern is weight, I've grown to LOVE the weight of the tiddlers and the fact that I can ride for hours in whatever terrain you can think of and still be ready for more at the end of the ride. How noticeable is the weight difference from 125 to 250f? Also how does the weight of the 2010 TC 250 compare to the newer TC/TXC's??

Second is gearing, any complaints with regards to the TC/TXC for woods riding from rock gardens to fire roads?

Third is engine breaking, I am worried I won't be able to adjust to the throttle response(not interested in auto clutches, prefer the challenge of shifting/clutching/timing of).

SO...am I crazy for even considering it, would really like to hear some honest opinions.

FYI I will be keeping the TM and probably restoring it to near new condition, and if KTM decides to scrap the current Husky 125 engine, I will also pick one up and stock up on parts for years to come :D (every man for himself haha)

Thanks in advance.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I'll chime in here. Owned a 2010 TXC250, 2010 TC250, and rode many 250/310 x-lights of all years. Also owned many husky 125's, 3 04 CR125's, a 144, several 165's etc. So I guess you could say I have ridden piles of the two bikes you are asking about. All the x-lights handle fantastic, much like your 125's but even more planted. Weight? In actual weight i don't think there is a lot of difference but in feel there is mostly because of the motor. It has engine braking and this always makes them feel heavier. Gearing, really short, gear it for 1-2 gear gnar and you will be topping out at 40-45. Not sure what kind of speeds you need. It will do it but sure could have used a taller 5th or 6th for transfer sections. I really like the x-lights. As you have had several 125/144 etc bikes I suggest you go for it. The 2010 TC250 made me feel hero in the woods and was fast on it. I did find it difficult to start if you stalled it when hustling long. Sometimes it was bad enough to really piss me off. It is a big reason I sold the bike. It was the one glaring fault of the bike. This is also a very short stroke high compression engine so is slightly stall happy. In retrospect I wish I had kept the bike and sorted it out more. Especially now with the Lectron deal. the E-start EFI 250/310 x-lights are pretty complicated and a lot of stuff smashed up under the tank and headlight. The 2010 TC250 is stripped clean and a joke to maintain in comparison. If you liek the 125/144 huskys and TM I think you would really dig the TC250 if you can adapt to the four stroke thing.
    surfer1100 likes this.
  3. DaveG321 Husqvarna
    A Class

I agree to the above,I,ll read some of the problems with the newest EFI x lites and it makes me queezie and very happy to own a WB165.Husky has it,s work cut out and the newer dealers have to do there homework before letting these 12 and13,s 4 strks out the door.Stick with the older 2010 and I,m sure you will enjoy.
  4. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just my thoughts here. I had a 2010 TC 250 and 2010 CR 134 (FBF top end). Both had suspension done by Zip Ty. The 250F had head mods done by Rocket Exhaust along with their custom pipe and silencer. On a deep sand track at home, I was 2 seconds a lap faster on my 134 2 stroke. I don't know what it was about that Husky 250F, but I just could not get along with it. It felt heavy and slow and wouldn't turn nearly as good as my 134. Just my 2 cents. I'll be on 2 strokes as long as they are around. I just had a 450 last year, but always seem to go back to the 125 and 250 strokers.
    DaveG321 likes this.
  5. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    good thread- 2T for me for 30 years and have wondered about this topic lately...
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    The EFI on the 13 seems VERY good. The one I rode ran pretty much perfect. The older ones not so much. Seem hit and miss. Fine for MX and open stuff but in tight technical they want to stall and not run 100% off the bottom. 2 strokes are just stupid EZ that way. Super forgiving stall free bottom. Every bike is a trade off though. The 4 stroke will lay down power on loose gravely hill much better, has more snap out of corners and can be deceptively fast. 250-310cc 4 strokes are a cool size. Ride them like smaller bikes not like 450 plus bikes.
  7. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well I have a 2010 TC250 and a 08 CrWB165 and love both. I really like the TC better on the MX track because the power fits well with my Mx skill level(read old, slow, but steady). It makes MX riding easy and fun at the same time. The WB165 is better in the woods and with my SC and Rekluse EXP it's so easy to ride, I can just ride without any worries. I'm not lazy just old and each bike just does a little better than the other in their areas. The engine breaking really doesn't bother me at all and it actually helps me on the MX. TC weight is light and the bike like the CR goes where I point it. I run a 51 rear on the TC and it works well in the more open woods and MX track. I guess for me it would come down to where I wanted to do most of my riding. MX and faster trails = TC250. Trails and tight woods =144/165. If I could only have one bike....it would be a WB165 :D.
  8. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have a 2010 tc 250 for sale with brand new motor total rebuild buy certified Husky mechanic. I went back to 2 strokes 08 cr165 set-up for off road and 12 KTM 250sx set-up for track so I do not need tc250 anymore.
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    From what you are saying I am not sure the TC is suited if you want longer range and to be more lazy. The 310 may be more the way to go. Yes they are more complicated but elec start is handy and ive had no issues with nice torquey low end on my '11 with mods and a lot more power over a 250. Better for hills than 250 . The 310 gives you the power of a race 250 f but with torque as well.
    I still get more excited about riding the 144 though but the sound of the 310 is awesome. The 310 is easy to pick up the front end - well balanced . It feels as light my TE 250 - as it probably is with mods done.
  10. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I own a '12 WR125/144 and a '12 TE310 and they both needed massaging from stock but now that they are setup both are a lot of fun and I'd highly recommend an x-lite to your stable as it's a nice change of pace from the tiddler without being real heavy and sluggish feeling in comparison. I owned a '10 TC250 '11 TC250 as well and I would most definitely say stay away from the '10 TC250 and look for an '11 TC250 if a TC is what you're really set on but I'd say if you plan on riding it offroad mostly you should go for TXC/TE model.
  11. slo rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 YZ250
    I have a WB165 and KTM 250SXF setup for offroad. I've also ridden my buddies '08 TXC250 as well as a bunch of the 2013 Husky 4-strokes. The wieght difference between my 165 and any of the 250s is noticable. The downside to that is you tend to get bounced around more in rough terrain.

As for engine breaking I just turned up the idle on my 250. That also eliminated flame-outs and helped improve starting.

While the new 4-strokes are nice, I think of any 250F as a hand grenade with the pin pulled. I really liked the TXC310 when I rode it, but not enough to risk the repair bills.
  12. surfer1100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR250, Memories of past tiddlers.
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM-01 EN 125, 03 125 MX, 09 EN 155
    Thanks so far for all the responses.

I know the 10 TC 250 had it's issues, but I really do not want to deal with fuel injection. I prefer being able to work on my own bike.

The places I live/ride have no reputable dealers(and none within a few hours) that I would trust to solve any fuel delivery issues.
    I am honestly afraid of fuel injection until every single person raves about it. I ride some wet terrain with deep crossings and I have no faith that all those electronic connections could handle it. (Read as, we have drowned multiple bikes multiple times in the same ride(tiddlers) and still gotten home)

Regarding the TC's. if you leave the gearing stock can it handle most flowing two track with the odd rock garden climb and also cruise at 45mph?

If the Lectron solves the 10 TC's starting issues and the gearing works as requested above, I'd likely pull the trigger.

Otherwise, it looks like I'll be in search of a 6 speed 250 2T.

Bascially, I love the 125/144, the only time I don't is on the long climbs( with no room for error) and the fire roads cruising.

I'm sure the 165 would remedy this somewhat, but I don't know if I'd like it (read as don't want to lose the 125 rev and feel nor my ability to remain in control at all throttle openings) maybe the Lectron retains the rev of the 125 in 165?
  13. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't have the Lectron but have the SmartCarb and the 125 rev came back with the SC install. I think the same is true with the Lectron as they are both metering carbs. My 165 revs as fast but MUCH cleaner than it did in 125/144 trims. If you can get a ride on a 165 with a metering carb I think it may well be what you are looking for. The metering carbs makes a WB 165 rev like a 125 and pull like a 200; best of both worlds IMHO.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I agree. Lots of top with the APT and Lectron. Also the Lectron has an adjustable top end powerjet that works great. I am testing a FMF SST KTM 200 pipe on my 165 and it takes away some bottom and mid for crazy top end. Make the 165 feel like a super fast 125. At first I missed the bottom and mid some that my 200 Doma pipe has but after a while found the SST works nice for slick conditions as it is slightly softer off the bottom and hell for fun on top.
  15. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It's also nice to change pipes for testing without having to remove the carb for jetting changes :applause:. I'll bet it makes testing pipes a lot easier and funner for you now Kelly. A racer could take a couple of pipes to the track with him and run one for the "conditions of the day". What a sweeet set up we have with the metering carbs and the WB165 :banana:. This bike is what's making my new bike purchase so hard.