1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125 flywheel pulling

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by razornpc, Dec 19, 2009.

1. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

is sucking so far, ive been trying to pull the damn thing for a half hour with no luck. i even got the little puller tool from halls and its not helping any.

the tools the type that its a bolt basicly with a hole drilled in the center of the threaded side so it pulls on the flywheel and pushes on the crank. this isnt my favorite style of puller, i like the tusk style much better but its what they sent me so ive got to make it work.

basicly it looks to me that the bore on the puller is to deep and its not pushing on the crank at all and its just bottoming out on the flywheel. ive tried putting a couple washers in the hole so the puller will hit the crank but its still not popping loose, this thing is stuck pretty well.

im not wanting to try heat but if i have to i will, ill try soaking it in penetrating oil over night and see how things go in the morning.

ps anyone else run in to this yet?
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Once you get it cranked down, tap the end of the tool a couple of times with a brass mallet. That often does the trick.
  3. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yes,

I had the same puller and it is made to be used with a small ball bearing that fits in the center. I tried all kinds of things to space it out and no luck. I ended up leaving it as is because I was able to adjust timing with it on. But you really need to find an appropriate ball bearing for it to work. I think the types of spacing that you and I were using end up binding and not actually applying direct force to the shaft. I actually used an aircraft locking nut with the rounded side in and it just flattened it out like a pancake. Way tight.

Walt

PS, If I have to I will drill out the puller, tap it, and install my own pusher/Tension shaft.

Yep DirtDame that often works but I was "tapping" with a little too much enthusiasm and still no go.
  4. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

it would have been nice if there was a supplied BB with the tool i bought....

ive tried the tapping method too and had no luck.
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Its like somebody had a flywheel back off and now they locktight the flywheel on. :lol:
  6. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

lol, id be HAPPY with locktite, i think someone welded this thing on there!
  7. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok, its still stuck on there.

i tried the BB trick and i even used the BB and tapping trick with no luck.

ill bring home one of those mini torches from work tommorow and se if that will help perswade it any.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Doesn't it always make you "nervous" using heat on a flywheel.:eek: I will go to great lengths to avoid it but when they epoxy it on at the factory what are you going to do. Hope I never have to take mine off because it is just as tight as yours.

Good luck,
    Walt

PS, Have you thought of drilling and tapping a couple of holes in the flywheel and using a standard puller that you can really get some force on? Bad idea?
  9. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

well ive heated a bunch of things. some times it just takes a little heat and a bit of tension to perswade things to move.

no im not scared to heat it a bit. im not gonna turn it red just put a mini torch to it for a minute or so. then put the BB and puller back on there.

im not drilling holes because the would very likely throw everything out of balance, on a high revving engine thats a very bad thing.

red and green locktites are designed to not break loose until heated.

still, if this was my kx i would have had this damn thing on and off 20 times by now. frustrating.......

oh well, maybe tomorrow night ill get it off and be able to take it to the shop and have them put on new bearings and put the new rod on too. then i can get to putting other things together and be ready for new years.
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Yep I have done the heat thing too, it just makes me nervous like performing wiring in my pumphouse that is 480 volt. I know the circuit breaker is thrown but when you are dealing with that kind of potential it just makes you nervous. No I am not an electrician but I play one on the golf course and do all the wiring and panel work myself.

Walt
  11. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

ok got it apart, needed to apply a little bit of heat.

put the puller on, impacted on it a couple times. tapped on it, impact again and it popped off!

wow the mag on this little guy is strong as hell!
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Cool,

Glad you got it. I am sure I will be there someday.

Walt
  13. Rusty 2 Husqvarna
    A Class

Yeah, and you'll probably invent a better flywheel for it while you're in there! :D