1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125 fork mod report - Shortened and more offset...

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Motosportz, Aug 25, 2011.

1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    So last year at the NW gathering I had a bad head on with another guy and my 125/144 was slightly mangled. Pissed I pushed the 125 to the corner of the shop and rode other bikes. Front end was bent up, forks and triple. Triple for sure. So I ended up trading for some other forks. I did not really get what i was told i was getting and ended up with a pair of open chamber of 50mm zokes that had been LTR revalved and shortened. Not what i expected. Was still pissed and the bike sat some more. So recently I got some motor work done by buddy Jake, some bearing replacement etc. (long story of me being stupid and not realizing i had left something to rust). Anyway got the motor back together and stuff back in the bike. Mangled a KX 125 pipe on there in place of the smashed stocker and wanted to try it all out. So I reluctantly put the other front end on, short forks and all. While installing I realized these are from a TE250 and the triple has about 4mm more offest, this should be real odd. Shortened forks and more offset. Should be a handling nightmare right? Bolted it all up and headed out. I did drop the forks all the way in the triple clamps to try and restore the proper ride angle / height as the rear was not lowered.

Hows it work?

First off i was more concerned about the motor and jetting with the KX pipe. But i noticed right away the bike fells more resistant to turning and feels VERY planted / stable. As i got the jetting real close and was really enjoying the motor i could concentrate on the forks. It does take some of the flickability with the more offset it also adds a ton of stability and planted feeling. I think i like it on this bike. On another bike it might make it feel to heavy and slow but on a small lite bike like this it still turns quick but feels more planted. The lowered and revalved LTR forks and additional offset / stability made the front end unflappable. the area i was riding is a local spot I ride very little as it is a nasty rocky rooty crap hole for the most part. But is is very close to my house and great for suspension tuning, ride setup. Once i dialed the clickers some I was really enjoying the forks and stability.

In summery...

For those trail riding the additional offset and stability it brings might be very appealing to many. Especially slower pilots, learning riders, mellow trail riders etc. Mellows the handling, slows things down some, makes the front end feel real planted and controlled. For faster cut and thrust racer types it might be a turn off to some extent. It does make it feel heavier, slower turning and more dead feeling. I ended up kind of liking it as this is just a fun trail bike for me, i don't race hardly at all any more. Even if i did I might run this setup as it sure adds a lot of control and surefootedness. With my new grunty powerband via the KX pipe, new stability via the shortened LTR revalved front end lower overall stance this bike has been transformed somewhat from edgy racer to flexible trail bike. Maybe i am getting old but i like it. These 125's are so fun to play with.

[IMG]
    454x likes this.
  2. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Welcome back Kelly! Glad you got it going again!
  3. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Buddy Jason was not happy I don't want to sell it but found him another one with less miles and in better shape for less money. I just can't let the little guy go, to much fun.