1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125 ignition swap questions

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by bdl507, May 6, 2013.

1. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    Anyone know about what it would cost to get whole cr ignition new from husky. Also if I was to look for used what years would work on the 2013. Also will it make a big difference I would think it would. Thanks in advance.
  2. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    Just went through this under warranty and they changed the CDI from 2012 to 2013. From what I was told by the dealer this is can be reprogramed.
    They did not tell me how.
  3. bdl507 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 wr360
    Other Motorcycles:
    rd350 dr650 tt500 pe250 hondas lots
    I don't have a problem with the ignition would just like it to have a little more power figured going from wr ignition to cr ignition would do that.
  4. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Lots of guys have made the switch including me. New from Husky is going to be excessive. I would watch fleabay as these show up quite often. They haven't changed the map in the CR since at least 2000 if not 98. You will just want to get the matching CDI so all your connectors work with the flywheel/stator combination. You can also use a KTM 125/150 cdi as it has the same connectors and will work better with your newer frame. If you want a direct bolt in arrangement then you want a 2011 or later setup. If you don't mind doing some wiring of new connectors you can make any setup work.
  5. DTX915 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kdx200 tt500 yz450 klx125
    Its a one piece coil and CDI on a 2013 and two pieces on a 12 and earlier. Everyone I spoke to that has one tells me to get the one off a CR as its map is different.
    That's about all I know, until I do it sometime.
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The Cr map is quite a bit different compared to the WR map.
  7. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    I do know of someone that had an older set up he may still have to sell - I bought a complete used 2011 set up .
    Ever since I have run the CR gear I dont have any jetting issues unless there is something way out . Its more aggressive - power comes on earlier /quicker
    I dont know why but at one point my wr144 was just plain slow - now it screams
    Fatty helped a lot too - I would try the fatty or a pipe first
  8. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Are the KTM or later model CR125 CDIs a direct plug and play for the 1999 WR125? Is that all you need, or the complete shebang right down to the stator?
  9. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    You need stator ,flywheel , wiring running to cdi connector , cdi with wiring , CR coil, kill switch if you dont have one
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Both the Ktm and Husky use Kokusan CDI's. Most of the connectors are a direct match year for year. You will need to get the Husky stator and flywheel. The only real reason to go with the KTM cdi is that it tends to be available cheaper/more often on fleabay. The maps will be virtually identical. My limited use of KTM cdi's on the tiddlers tells me the maps are nearly identical with the KTM being a little more bottom friendly. I can't speak to all years or models of KTM's. I use a 2009 200 XC cdi on my 165 and love it for the dual map switch. It really makes a difference between maps, I was surprised. The 2nd map is far more benign and very smooth. I think Brandon needs this ignition for his raging beast.
  11. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks, I'll keep my eyes open for those parts.
  12. Durangedgoat Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 CR125
    Just revisit this thread I am wanting to go to a 144 on my 2000 CR125 using a 2009 up factory 144 cylinder. Do I need to swap to a 150 or newer CDI or is the mapping just fine from the 125? Also any benefit to a different pipe?
    Lastly what parts changed from 2008 to 2009 in the power valve area? This setup comes with power valves.