1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125 Piston Dome - Detonation or Normal?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by JRod4928, Sep 14, 2013.

1. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Decided this weekend to install the 144, and I'm glad I did. The old 125 appeared to have been cold seized at some point. I'm not sure if I was responsible but the previous owner put on 30 hours running 100:1, and based on the rear tire that was on the bike, he rode a lot of roads, burnt out a lot, and didn't take extremely good care of it. I ran it about 3 hours at 32:1 trail riding. I'm not saying he's responsible for the cold seize, but you can do the math. The bike started and ran fine, in my other "first impressions" thread I mentioned that the jetting seemed off, but that may be a wrong assessment now that I know it was cold seized.

Anyway, it looks like a cold seize (exhaust and rt side transfer port) but the piston dome looks burnt as well. Does this look like detonation to you, as well as a cold seize? Is this a jetting issue that I should be concerned about with the 144, or is it simply a cold seize due to not warming up?

Attached Files:

2. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    I don't see any detonation, but I think it wanted a bit more oil. Hard to tell from pics.
  3. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    100:1? was he running interceptor?

Based on that my guess would be loss of lubrication, especially if that's the only spot with wear.

Did he tell you he seized it?
  4. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Yeah he was running amsoil. No he didn't tell me. I'm not sure he knew about it either.
  5. TROFFER88 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I think Sabre is 100:1
  6. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    I don't care what oil you run, if you think 100:1 is sufficient, you are BEGGING for problems. The 32:1 you chose to run it at is what you need for extended high-RPM operation, 40 to 50:1 is sufficient for average woods use and trailriding, and I'd never go below 50:1 for any operation, anytime, any RPM, any conditions.

I'm not seeing detonation damage in the provided pictures. Cold seizure is usually a "4 corner" seizure. That looks like a lubrication seizure, possibly with a bit of cold-seize element to it. Not to upset or alarm you, but I'd be fearing for the lifespan of my crankshaft's Big-end bearing.....
    Motosportz likes this.
  7. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I had the same thought, but there is no evidence of any issues in the bottom end as if now. I'm making myself feel better by thinking that it has very low hours, he didn't race it (hence he probably didn't ride that hard, except for very short periods of time) and that the oil IS rated for 100:1. A lot of people run it.... Would I? He'll no. But it has been done and some people have no issues

At least that's what I'm telling myself *crosses fingers*
  8. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    I have never blown a top end in my life, so Im not terribly experienced when it comes to identifying reasons why a piston looks the way it does.
  9. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I've seen something like that happen to a piston when the piston pin circlip comes loose while the engine is running, which happens when somebody either uses the wrong circlip or doesn't get the circlip seated in the groove properly. You didn't show a picture of any damage to that side of the cylinder though.
  10. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Never

Never thought about that before. The circlips were seated properly though. I know because when I removed them, they flew out of the seat and hit my forehead.... BOTH of them. Lol
    Jersey Woods and Dirtdame like this.
  11. Jersey Woods I live to ride !

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150 2018 TE 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM EXC 250 F Honda 300 ATV

That's why you use eye protection when working with tools right ? :lol:

With oil ratio the guy was running, I agree with MotoMarc. I'm not a wide open guy in the woods but when I'm in the sand it's wide open. I'm running 40:1 and hopefully it will extend the top end life for me.
  12. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i know its just another story, but i have always run 40:1...always had longevity and good performance..i dont race hard, maybe i would go 32:1 for that...
  13. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Agree with the above. It might be Ok to run 100:1 but 32-40:1 is way better and more than twice the lube.
  14. Zomby woof Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 CR 150
    100-1 would be fine in the appropriate application. I run my chainsaw at 75-1, but I wouldn't do that with my bike.
  15. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I agree......it all depends on the load on the motor. I bet you could try to hone off that aluminum from the cylinder, slap in a new piston and probably run it for 2 more years!

The alternative is to split the cases and replace the rod and crank bearings...is there any play or roughness there?
  16. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    There is zero movement at the flywheel or the connecting rod - i checked when I had the jug off. There is the normal side to side play, but nothing out of the ordinary. No roughness either, and visually, the crank didn't look toasted or scuffed in any way - I think it's fine. Honing the cylinder is definitely a possibility - I'm sure after honing it, it'd be fine.

My plan is to turn it into a 165, or trade it + my WER steering damper for a 165 anyway. :thumbsup: Either way - it's all still perfectly usable.
  17. uranys Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00 wr360/02 wr360/09 wr125/09 wr250
    Other Motorcycles:
    96 xr600r
    Did you ride it yet? How does it compare?

You can also use muriatic acid to remove the aluminum from the cylinder. It'll eat the aluminum but not the plating. Dab it on with a q-tip and wipe it after a few minutes and repeat until it doesn't smoke when applied. Wear eye protection and be very careful, it's pretty nasty stuff.
    JRod4928 likes this.
  18. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    Never heard of that, i'll have to give it a shot when I get a chance.

I did ride it, but only for about 5 minutes - I won't get on it hard until I break it in. It sounded deeper (read: awesomer) though!
  19. JRod4928 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR165
    By the way - should there be an o-ring beneath the PV seat? I'm pointing to it here with a pick. My power valve chamber was 1/2 full of liquid exhaust residue. I wasn't running it too hard before I quit the last time I was out riding it, so I guess I could see why it filled up, but holy crap man. lol

Attached Files:

20. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No o-ring there