1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 125 shifter length

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by old3, Apr 13, 2013.

1. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I am having a problem catching upshifts on my 1999 WR125 and gave it a better look. Turns out the shifter distance from the front edge of the peg to the rear edge of the shift tip is 1" shorter than on my KTMs and Husaberg. So, there is my issue! My not so big size ten boots miss it as often as they catch it.

My question, can someone give me the same measurement off a newer 125/144? I have that at 4.25", within 1/16" anyway. The longest YZ250 replacement that should fit is +20mm, just a little short of the length I want. I'm hoping the newer bikes have longer levers.

Since it is steel, I may just get it extended the inch I want.

Appreciate the help!

Jim
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Jim,
    I'm thinking '04 and up is longer, but my '09 is 25 miles away, so I can't give you an exact measurement. When they went from steel to alloy shifter it was longer. My '02 still had the shorter steel one and I upgraded to the later longer alloy one. Ferracci sold a longer alloy upgrade, before the Factory switched levers.
    Norm
  3. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Norm. I'm sure there will be a number from someone soon enough.
  4. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 CRF450R, 1980 Suzuki Wetbike
    Well, I went to measure, then remembered I have fastway pegs, so I measured from the back side of shifter to the front of the mounting tab for the foot pegs and it came out to 5 1/2".

09wr165

[IMG]
  5. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Excellent info, my bike measures 4.5" at that point. I guess a later model shifter is in my future! I just ordered one brand new off ebay for a 09 WR125 for only $22 shipped.

Thank you.

Jim
  6. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Haha, and I wear 14s!!!
  7. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Do you want my Lilliputian stock shifter Gulliver? :D This is sized for a small child. No wonder I was having upshift troubles!

Thanks guys!

Jim
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Good price!
  9. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Assuming it isn't junk, 3 are still cheaper than one of the top brand replacements. I'll check it out, try the size on and buy a second as a spare if it is good.

Thanks again, Jim
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I had a Moose YZ shifter (I can't remember what year) for a spare and had to do some grinding on it. Splines fit fine, but it would hit the chain if you installed it the same position as stock... too square.
  11. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

It looks like the ebay shifter is a unbranded MSR to my eye. After I bought this one, the other two available disappeared as well... Probably the same part listed a few times I guess.

It gave me another 1/2" in length from the peg. Better but I don't know if it'll be good enough, I was shooting for that extra full inch, (aren't we all!). Now to wonder, did they move the pegs back in later years??? It is said to be an exact replacement for a 09 125.

I think I might cut & extent the stocker as it doesn't work well for me anyway. It is a steel piece.
  12. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1/2" huh? Sorry to hear that. I hope I didn't screw you up somehow... I always think about extending the shifter and brake levers with my abnormally large feet, but I've been riding with it so long in it's current position, it might feel weird to me!
  13. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Geez Blake, unless you made a birthday wish for it to be too short I can't see how? :D

I gotta ride it, the difference might be enough, I'm thinking maybe the pegs are more forward on th older frame, assuming this is the same exact size as a late model shifter anyway. Millimeters matter in this case, it is probably ride-able now. Trusting I could hit the next gear on big jumps just wasn't going to happen with the shorty shifter.
  14. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Did you put your pegs in the low-boy position? The fastway pegs I have are able to be put up and forward, or down and back. I think the same mod can be done for the stockers...
    racer726 likes this.
  15. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'll go look at that right now!

So, that involves trimming off the sleeve and using it as a bushing and swapping springs to the other side? The only concern I have is if it adds extra stress to the now thinner peg/pin area. My experience with Husky pegs is they bend like butter, I'd hate to snap one off.
  16. Blakelpd5 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WRWB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honestly, I'm not sure what it involves... I might just be assuming it can be done with stockers, but I thought I remember someone talking about it... Hope you get it sorted.. Keep us updated if it works!
  17. old3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

The new shifter is much better, I only missed a few upshifts at the track today. I'll be doing the low boy peg mods as soon as I can visit my welder buddy, that might just be enough to get me comfortable.

Thanks for the guidance guys!

Jim