1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 144/150 Comparison please.

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by meusoc45, Nov 12, 2011.

1. meusoc45 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WB165
    Have and opportunity to purchase a 11 KTM 150XC for a really good price and didn't want to make a bad decision. I have never ridden a Husky WR144/150 and really want a 2012 but the KTM is quite a bit less money. If you have ridden both, how do the motors compare. Neither bike has a spark arrestor, KTM has a bigger tank but no headlight or speedo. KTM has a Keihin PWK 36mm vs. Husky Mikuni 38mm, kind of a toss up, but the motors have me asking questions.

Already have a Husky TE610 but this thing is a beast when it gets tight. Trying to stay with the red and white, but orange has me swayed by price. Thanks for any feedback.
  2. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have an 08 CR144 so it's not what you are asking of course but it flat out ROCKS! Are you saying you can purchase a new KTM 150 cheaper than a Husky 150? BTW the 150's from both are really 144's.
  3. meusoc45 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WB165
    Yep, I can get a 11 KTM 150xc $500-600 cheaper than the 12 Husky WR125. I do understand that these are 144's. What's a guy to do. Really like the Husky, but is the KTM just a better deal, possibly a better bike? Not sure that's the case. That's the question I'm trying to figure out. Spend more on the 2012 Husky and spend time making it run right or just get the KTM which is already a 144cc bike that's mostly sorted. ?????
  4. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Get a Husky CR 125/150. It will rip the lips off both of the other bikes and you can make it behave quite well in the woods.
  5. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

If you go KTM I hope the 150 handles better than their 4-strokes or the $500.00 you save up front will go into making the thing handle/turn. IMO I would shop a little harder and stick with the Husky.
  6. vntgmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have a 2012 KTM 150XC and it's a great bike. I can't compare it to a Husky 144/150 but I have a '10 Husky CR125 and a '12 WR125 and they are both good rides and have good engines as 125s and the KTM has more punch but that's to be expected. They are all great bikes and I have nothing but praise for my '12 150XC as well as the my Husky 125s. They all handle really well and are light and flickable. Don't think you can go wrong with whatever you choose.
  7. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Resale on a KTM 125 sucks around here, people want the bigger bikes 200 and larger.
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The husky wr transmission is the cr transmission from years prior on both the 125 and 250 models. From memory the 150 xc ktm uses the same ratios as the 200 sx they had in 03 and 04 and is wider check that out if it matters to you. The ktm has the bore stroke ratio adjusted for that model to the bore slightly smaller than stroke, the husky is a larger bore 125. They have different power valve designs, I will say my 125 husky never need cleaning because of sticking, the sides of the main flap on the ktm can crud up not sure of all the variables to have that happen. I was just on the north america husky site yesterday and the 2012 125 comes with a spare 150 kit included. It didn't say specifically the power valves but did say the cylinder and piston which seem to me more significant than some of the other stuff you listed.

Fran
  9. smoke229 Husqvarna
    A Class

If you are racing, the Husky will help pay for itself in contigency, the KTM will only cost you money. Ive had the KTM150sx , it was faster than either Husky, but the Huskys handle better, are built tougher, age better, and like i said pay for themselves.....
  10. PC. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR165 & CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM500
    I got a cr125 you can try out. I live near the traffic circle on Hart.
  11. meusoc45 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WB165
    Thanks for the test ride offer. Thanks to all for their feedback, going to get the WR soon. The KTM 150XC in Question was at a Kennewick Washington dealer for $5649.00 out the door, and no tax to Oregon buyers. Really hot deal, please someone buy it so I don't have to think about it. My problem with KTM's are the quarter turn gas cap that still usually leak and occasionally pop off. Had a 07 250XC that was like this and was a PITA. Don't think KTM has really sorted this out yet. Keep you posted on the WR, plan to go with a CR ignition and 144 setup. Richard
  12. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good to hear Richard and I think the Husky handling will make you forget the KTM. Good luck.
  13. jimmyc Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 TXC449, 09 SM610, WR250, plated
    Other Motorcycles:
    18YZ250X GS1200 busa duc900SS GG
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Did KTM resolve the exploding / melting down 150 issues?
  15. Clete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 CR/WR 250, '13 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '06 Suzuki SV650 (gone)
    Good to see you made the right decision.
  16. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    They hadn't in 2010. We raced a 2010 150 SX for half the season until I started seeing more and more of the 2010 models blowing up (in KTM Talk). I dumped it quick and gave Cody the 2010 TC 250 to finish the season.
  17. racer726 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had about 40 hours on my KTM 144 SX. The jetting is too lean from the factory. It will run fine, but will blow up in deep sand or if you rev it out to the stops all the time. I increased the main jet a few sizes and never had any issues. Great bike.