1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 144 Bored!

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by dartyppyt, May 2, 2011.

1. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    82 125,250,430&500 79 390 83 250
    Thought that I'd chime since I bolted the 144 on over the weekend and worked the bugs out.

Here is some of the history:

The cylinder was an EG 144 off a 06 WR125/7 port. It was seized and had some of the coating off the cylinder.
    Over the past winter, I was tied up trying to get my son's bike done so, I never really had time to finish it and get it bolted on. Basically, All I did was some port work to try and get some more top end out of it. I sent the cylinder to Walt for his advice and he even ground the powervalves to correct them. He even suggested a port that I could raise.

Well, Walt told me that he found a good plater and was going to send in some cylinders. So I sent it to Walt (Frankenhusky). Walt even did some extra things to it and cut the head. He even set it up for Premium pump gas. My $100 VP fuel days are over.

Walt, first class job! Thank You! Your a stand up guy and hope someone gives you a trophy for this!

Update:

I just got it back last Tuesday night and have been excited to see what the results would be.

I spent some more time inside the intake ports and also getting the gasket matched. I also went with the black painted cylinder, but went with a slanted silver Husky logo instead of red. I was happy with the port work I did on my son's 125 so, I tried to duplicated it and improve in an area for some top end.

I have also been working behind the scenes with carbs/needles/various mods/jets. Maybe I can do a thread next winter, dynoing carbs with my results.

She bolted right on except for the little episode I spent on my hands and knees crawling around the shop floor trying to find the piston clip.

So, I get it bolted on Sat am and performed a couple heat cycles to break her in. Seems a little rich, so I moved the clip from the get go.

Around noon, all hell breaks loose, I let her rip to clean her out. I noticed that I was lean on the bottom, so I moved the clip back. I am the same carb settings as the 125 jug.

I went back out for another run and this this bike is so gnarly, I thought for a minute, what the heck have I done! I rode down the field and stood the bike straight up in 5th gear and wished I had another gear up top. The bike almost feels like a KTM 200 I rode last year, but feels quicker. I am not so sure it wouldn't stomp a 200.

Over the rest of the weekend, I adjusted my powervalve, Ign timing and also went from 12/50 gearing to 13/52.

[IMG]

Thanx!

Darin
    Scootskipper likes this.
  2. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    sick! [IMG]

man, i can't wait to ride mine!!! weather has been so mint. figures i'm still waiting on a few parts and work is HAMMERING me. grrrr.

post some pics of the black/silver cylinder, sounds sweet
  3. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanx! I will as soon as I get a chance to take care of the two covers to match.
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Nice, hard to find anything better than a full rip 125/144. [IMG]
  5. Vinduro Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I love mine. Haven't had a chance yet to install the 175 kit. Not really worrying about it too much . LOL
  6. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Dwight,

I have been riding the Hi-comp 144 back to back with my buddies 167. The 167 is running pump premium vs the 100 oct level of the 144. From the high mid to top end the 144 pulls the 167. From the bottom to the mid the 167 rules. I have done some further work to my 167 to bump compression so I can run the same fuel regardless of top end. I had the head cut for a single squish plane and set it for .036", knife edged the transfers at the bottom inlet, and polished up the exhaust port. It now pulls either of the other two everywhere. In fact throttle response is too fast. "ouch" I am re-mounting the FWW and gearing to 14X49. You might let me do some massaging for you. [IMG] Oh ya, both of my top ends have the power valves ground for a 6mm gap from top of exhaust port to bottom of the valve, just an FYI for all.
    Camstyn and dartyppyt like this.
  7. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Walt,

Did you see where I opened the exhaust end of the exhaust port as it meets the pipe on the 144 bore? I took it from an oval 125 restrictive port to a round port, as it is matched to the pipe inlet/port, using the washer. On a 125 it will hurt/affect the draw out of the bottom end. If my theory is correct, that is why they ovaled it? On the 144, I think it is helping get top end, to get rid of the extra exhaust on the extra volume. I sure wish I had a duplicate cylinder to actually know 100%. You are at your own risk if you try this. I had my fingers crossed the whole time.
  8. dartyppyt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 TE 150, 82CR 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well, get it bolted on so you can help the farmers plow their fields!