1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 144 v 250f

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by skid, Jul 14, 2010.

1. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

could not figure out if I should put this in 2t 4t .... so I put it here!!

did a weekend moto/party thing at southwick. Some laid back racing partying and then practice ride sunday. gotta say i was kind of digging the moto thing. Enough to think maybe I need a dedicated mx'er. I rode my 08 144 but it has soft woods suspension, not the best set up for the job at hand. If I were to go dedicated mx'er the cheapest route is putting full moto suspension back into the cr ... thats only about $85. I'm wondering how my 144 would stack up against a 250f on a moto track. I'm really a closet 4t rider ... but I'm working the 2t thing in an effort to a) not have to deal with the weight and b) just develop into a better rider. riders being equal, would you expect a 144 to easily hang with a 250f or actually be able to walk away from or stay out in front of a 250f.

going full moto on the 144 would mean I would need another woods ride ...
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    tough one but the 250F might win, In the end it really comes down to the rider. You would probably place about the same on ether but my guess would be slightly higher on the 250. The track will make a difference as well.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

It will come down to the rider. I watched a friend put a whippin on a guy that works for me. My friend was on my 08 CR125 the guy that works for me was on his 06 Kawasaki KX450. The MX track is 2.5 miles long and the little Husky was over 200 yards ahead at the finish line. We laughed our butts off! I have timed my son on my Cr125 and on his TC250 on our track which is 1.5 miles. He usually runs about 4 seconds a lap faster on his TC250; 1:47 to 1:51. He does say he has forgotten how to ride a 125 2-stroke. I have never ridden the 144 but the way he rides my 125 I think the better low/mid would close the gap if not equal it. LOL he does sweat more when riding my 125. The 125/144 does keep things simple and is cheaper. Hey pick up a left over WR for the woods.
  4. fury1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

skid if you were talking southwick only,the 250F would win every time in the sand,they just make more tractable power,and you can be lazy on them,the 144 will want you to stay on the power in the sand
  5. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Interesting question .... If you close throttle, a MXer and a woods bike both slow down ... this is my issue so changing bikes would only make a slight change in my overall performance I feel ... Lots of other ways to get faster first ... It would be cool to have a bike for each ... I'm beating my TXC up doing both ... ESP in the woods ....

I'd guess the bikes are very close and the track would make the difference ... with the same rider that is ... My 08 TXC250 feels like it has a mini powerband and is at its best when screaming much like a 125 ... but not at quite as high a pitch :)

What are you referring to on the suspension change for the $85?
  6. razornpc Husqvarna
    AA Class

id say they would be about even. that based on the 250f's that ive ridden. i think you will go through more top ends on the 144 then the 250f, so you may want to take that into consideration.

sand will pull the 144 down considerably. im not sure about the 250 in sand so it could be even.

kelly have you rode yours in the sand? your impressions?
  7. gestion01 Husqvarna
    A Class

Equal riders 250f hands down on an mx track. Woods...very technical track 144.
  8. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    did i meet you at Stimilon? were you the guy asking about your clutch slip? i dont remember if there were any other 144's there, hope you got it sorted if that was you, i was on a '07 TC250.

loved seeing the handful of Husky's out on the track not to mention the dealer setup with some bikes on display. i may have been the only Husky out there last year.

super fun event, deluge and all. my TC ran mint in the Southwick sand with a Pirelli MXMS F / MXS R combo. only other mods are a JD jet kit, PowerNow and LoudmouthMX intake. goes pretty damn great everywhere, MX or woods, but those 144's have piqued my interest more than once.
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    No, not really. I bet Ajax has. The 144 might do very well int he sand with the right rider. there were some dudes on my WEC vid smoking on them. Also a light high reving bike is good in the sand and stay on top. Big power is very hard to beat in the sand though. I have a KX500 for that. :D
  10. MXRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Yamaha YZ250F
    Im faster on my KTM 250SXF than my Honda CR125, but for some reason I find myself riding the Honda more.
    Also Im 175 pounds without gear on, and I still love wringing the little smokers neck.
  11. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    TC 250 definately makes more usable power across the range and would therefore make a better MX'er. The 144 would be my pick for the tight ST over the TC or TE 250's.
  12. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I had a 09 te250 and 09wr125 at the same time and set up a 6 mile single track loop did back to back runs more then several times and for me the 125 came out on top by app 45 to 60 seconds each time (this with the stock fork which I did not like. Crash em and pick the 4 stroke up a few times. It was a pig. Hold em both wide open the 4-stroke was boring. If your lazy maybe the 4-stroke would be better, but nothing gets me more excited then when I see a ktm 250 or 300 (or heavy 4-stroke and get that little buzz saw going, close in pass and say goodbye!! The 2 stroke just works better for me 4 sure in the woods. I think it depends on the rider. If you get a chance time yourself on both of them (with = suspension) Good Luck!
  13. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Fletchman, I am very surprised at your indicated time differences. This is not the usual findings between these classes.
  14. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

Kevin ... mx in general. Nh seems to be sprouting mx tracks. new england dragway opened last fall .. about 25 minutes east, then the dog track up in belmont (30 minutes north)closed and the new owners have built an outdoor sx track that is suppose to be very c rider friendly, haven't ridden belmont yet. both tracks run lots of practice dates. Mx 207 in me. and crow hill down in ma are both 1 hour away.
  15. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

Factory Connection did the revalve work. If you send the suspension in for service (clean and change the oil) they will make any valving changes you want. Standard charge for service runs $80 to $120.
  16. skid Husqvarna
    A Class

Yes that was me. I plan to open up my clutch tomorrow and take a look. I dropped my suspension at factory connection the other night to have it serviced and work on the valving for woods. the manager was at stimilon too. He said he was amazed by all the huskys .. he said he thought there was enough of us there that we could have had our own class!!

Are you going to run the indian ridge hare scramble this weekend?? Gonna try and hit that one myself.
  17. typeone Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TC270 + 09 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 X4 146 + 13 250RR
    sorry for the delayed response, forgot about this thread... hope you got the clutch sorted! no, i didn't make any HS races this year.

my season went to sh*t shortly after Stimilon :( got a few more motard rides in then all of a sudden i had insane shoulder pain... turns out i had a severely herniated disc in my neck, been recouping ever since. such a bummer. i had one in my lower back last season too.

gettin' old blows! even worse is having the season end in Aug!
  18. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not sure but that is how it worked out. I talked to Hall's and they said if I had had a 2010 4-stroke ( the 09 frame is different) But the 10 4-stroke has the 09 and up 125-150 frame. I could not push the envelope on the 09 te like the 2-stroke . I sold the thumper and got a 144 WHEWY!! Now I no for sure I myself will always be faster on a 2-stroke. Some of it may be because of 30 years of riding a 2-stroke. If you talk to guys like jay or Bill they will say you should be faster on the thumper. Just not so for me!
  19. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    4t are easy to go fast on but not maybe the fastest on ... You gotta get used to the engine on them as it is also easy to be slow on one .... With all the engine braking, you'll almost stop moving forward if you don't keep on the gas always ... Don't let off the gas and roll like on a 2t... you'll be slow if you do ....
  20. HomeFinance Husqvarna
    A Class

150 vs 250f ?

How does the power of the 144/150 compare to the 2010 TXC 250f?