1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    TE = 2st Enduro & TC = 2st Cross

TE/TC '15 TE300 tank leaking at shroud screws

Discussion in '2st' started by BSBen, Jul 31, 2023.

1. BSBen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Sherco 2.9
    Didn't see anything on this topic in this forum, so sorry if this is a repost.

Out of the blue, my TE started seeping gas out of the two top shroud screw holes.

When I say out of the blue, I mean that I didn't do any maintenance prior to this (it's been a year at least since the shrouds have been removed) so I didn't recently over-torque those screws, there wasn't any accident/trauma to the bike that would have cracked anything... they just started leaking. First the left one, followed very shortly by the right.

I've removed the shrouds and when I tip the tank so that the gas covers the inside of the screw hole, it starts seeping right away on both sides.

Anyone seen this before? What causes it? And is there a fix other than buying a new tank?

Cheers,
    Ben

Attached Files:

2. pvduke Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tripple-hondo hoosk...
    Other Motorcycles:
    dozens of them, kicked to the curb
    vibes, ozone, heat cycles, pretol fumes kill tanks over time. if it aint from spillage, ya could try a slightly larger screw and an o-ring/rubber washer if there is no insert- i cant tell cuz it's diff than my 20212.

but the above is just a get-ya-home thing...

nothing on that bike is worth burning to death, starting the forest on fire or losing your home or bike over. so my advice is: just replace it. every tank repair ive ever seen leaks again and ive seen a few catch fire at just the wrong time on the trail- no lie..... pony up and ride safe.

https://imsproducts.com/products/ims-fuel-tank-12424
  3. BSBen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Sherco 2.9
    Yeah, that's the conclusion I'm coming to as well. Although that IMS tank is about $150 more than the OEM, so I think I'll go that route.

Thanks for the input.
    pvduke likes this.
  4. Moto7man Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas
    Always safety first.