1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 165 first race of the season goes badly

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by johnnyboy, Feb 24, 2014.

1. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Firstly Ive not ridden in a age due to most of the UK being under water due to the wettest winter on record.
    Signed up for a local H&H event that promised to be a resonable dryish ride as its on high gound and turned up early Sunday morning to what looked to be a fantastic looking track setup in the grounds of Matterly where they hold the MXGPs and the MXDN, So everything was looking good untill it started to rain but it passed real quick as the wind was so strong.
    The 165 is now wearing a set of Ohlins forks and a factory rear shock that I managed to obtain along with whole load of other parts and clothing from a good friend Martin since they have now gone over to the KTM Huskys
    Over the winter I split the cases and installed a wide ratio tranny from the early model Husky WR125s that our great all round guy and tiddler expert Walt / Wallybean managed to find for me as I had been looking for one for ages :cheers: Fitted new mains and and seals all round while I was in there, Testing the box and trying to get a good gearing setup proved to be hard work due to being under water or so many fallen trees everywhere was unridable but settled on 13/48, what you get with this tranny is a lower first gear working itself through the ratios to a identical 6th as in the later WR and CRs giving a far better choice of final gearing choices while keeping a good top end speed.
    Right onto the race! This 165 always starts 1st kick ALWAYS !! well this time it took three kicks so got a crap start around 3/4s of the way back in pack so had to put my head down around the MX part of the curcuit that a mile and a half round and managed to gain about 12 / 15 places back, The 165 was working great as We all went into the first part of the woods that was full of fallen trees with some good climbs riddled with nicely polshed tree roots everywhere, the new suspension made easy work of everything and the tranny had a ratio for everything, Came out of the wooded area onto another fast part part of the course and got another three places back but on chopping the throttle I had a pipe hanging rrrring a dddddddingy exhaust note that indicated a well lean condition! on the gas again and a exteamly large dose of detonation that sounded like the crank was trying to leap out of the motor so pulled over as we darted back into the woods, Loads of steam and that smell of coolent filled my helmet! something had gone pop.
    I at first blamed the brand new Chinese rads that I had fitted due to mashing the left to pulp in a crash while trying to get the tranny / gearing sorted in the floods, A traveling marshal with a load of tools helped me out big time by leaving his tool kit with me as he helped a load of stuck riders get over or around a big rooted out hole (cheers Carl) Managed to pull the tank off and found a split top hose just below the clip that well may of been damaged in afore mentioned crash. Shortend the hose and refitted, filled with the water in my back pac and off I set again.
    Bike was working brilliantly again proving how reliable Walts brain child is. Pressed on as fast as I could for a while and tried to regain some lost ground (stupid I know) when a small branch grabbed the left bar and thats about all I remember !!! I apparantly hit many larger trees untill coming to a abrupt halt under the mangled 165 and my day was over.
    Bike needs a few tweeks but is generaly unscathed, crash helmet is going in the bin, and I need a few days to recover, Mashed little pinky on the left hand, right shoulder and elbow hurt like hell, right knee swollen and twisted up pretty bad but nothing broken other than my pride lol.
    Must give Mike Grounds who organised the race a round of applause for putting on a really fantastic well organised and sorted day out, And once again to Walt for creating the 165, Ive now ridden the new Shercos, Ive ridden the KTMs, had a play on a Gas Gas ect and while all are great bikes none of them make me smile like this little Husky does and I feel saddened that its no longer with us as a Husqvarna model but also glad as all the old stock new ones and the late used items can be bought for a song and the next build if all goes well will be Walts 177 just to make a great bike even greater.
    Right now I have bored all you Guy and Girls to tears Im going to take some pain killers and go back to bed and try and catch up on some sleep that I didnt get last night :lol:
    Xcuvator, wallybean, Freaky and 2 others like this.
  2. yzrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 yz250f 197? rickman zunpaap 125
    Hey sounds like you made out okay all things considered. Hope you and the bike get mended asap.

Next time calm down there villopoto!
  3. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Next race will go better! :oldman:
  4. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    That's racing! ... A race is such a short, specific splice of time, its hard to get hitting on all cylinders, and almost impossible for me to have an uneventful race ...

Better luck at the next race!
  5. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    Unlucky mate. Look forwards to your next event, don't dwell on those that go wrong. day's like these make you appreciate the good days more. At least no perminent damage. I was going to enter that event, but didn't due to the ammount of rain lately.
  6. Submit Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR125, 86 430 AUTO
    Do you race the CTR events?