1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 165 kit

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by K.Forte', Aug 6, 2013.

1. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    I want to give a shout out to Walt and his 165 kit,,Jeff and I were the subject of a cylinder wall failure,,,when walt got the cyl/piston back,he knew rite away,,the engine had 2 1/2 hrs time on it.. Walt is standing behind his work and getting jeff and I a (reconditioned) cylinder free of charge and a new piston... This is the kind of person (builder) you want to deal with.. He stands behind his work.... :thumbsup:
    john01, AUSKY, Motosportz and 4 others like this.
  2. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Walt is a great guy.
  3. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    I'm curious. By "cylinder wall failure" do you mean a plating issue, of did the cylinder bore crack?
  4. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Plating issue. Not walts fault the platers got carried away and put WAY to much on.
  5. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE510 96 WR125 00 WR360 13 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    Ditto on that. Walt
    Ditto on that!!
    The world needs more people like him. I had an overheating issue due to bad oil and not enough fuel, not his fault and Walt helped me out with another cylinder. That sort of service just wouldn't happen here in Australia. Thanks Walt!!!
    K.Forte' likes this.
  6. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    A small chunk of metal came off the cylinder wall and put a nice little grove in the piston,,wiped it all out.. :thumbsdown:
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

One of your Aussie mates was trying to clue me in on how to get these kits to work well with your very different fuel and I thought I could work around it by just maximizing the bowl. Guess what he was right and apparently that isn't enough and the base gasket additions are the only way to get them to run well on your fuel. The bowl size is limited by the amount of material that's there to work with safely. I still think the best bet for you guys is to find a source of AV gas 100LL and mix it 50:50 with your pump stuff. That is a pretty universal fuel that is has to be consistant and stable.
    K.Forte' and rockdancer like this.
  8. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Also thanks all for the nice comments but I just try to treat everyone the way I would want to be treated. Life is too short to deal with butt holes.
  9. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I love walt and the way he made my 165 run which in turn made me love riding it which in turn made me smile Which in turn made all the people around
    me happy because the world likes happy people. All of this is due to Mr Walt
  10. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    I think the fuel we have here in Oz is full of rubbish and doesn't burn as well as the fuel sold elsewhere in the world. Unfortunately AV gas isn't available in the areas we ride. We sometimes ride two and three day rides through the bush.
    What squish measurement should we be looking for Walt?
    Or do you have why other recommendations to reduce compression that will be suitable ?
  11. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Im also having detonation with our Aussie fuel . It makes you wonder if 98 octane really is what they say it is. $1.68 or whatever per litre . I will check my squish tonight but I think the more retarded WR ignition may suit better so I think I will try that out
  12. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    Mix in Toulene to bump the octane rating.
  13. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I think you are going to need to have the squish at ~1.3 - 1.5 mm. That certainly isn't the most efficient squish gap but with the limitations of the bowl size is probably where you will need to go. I will see if I can get some more info for you today.
  14. Tommy V Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 WB165
    Other Motorcycles:
    GasGas TXT280 trials
    Just had the same problem with 3.3 hrs on mine. Obvious coating issue. Walt is taking care of it for me. Can't ask for more than that. Let me add that when the bike was running, it was freaking awesome! Can't wait to get it back...
    Thanks Walt!
    K.Forte' likes this.
  15. K.Forte' Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR 125R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Honda CRF 302X
    If you guy's can get octane booster try a small amount of that,,2 cap full's no more than that.. :thumbsup:
  16. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    I need to get this kit to work with normal unleaded which is 94 octane, apparently!!
    What is your opinion of octane booster?

Thanks Walt
  17. AUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 XR250 83 YZ 490
    N
    I read a thread about it on here but wasn't convinced this is the way to go. It seemed to me that the consensus was a waste of money for the improvement gained and it didn't alter the octane rating as much as it needed to.
  18. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Mine appears to be 1.2mm through plug but need to pull off head to check correctly
    I'd like to try retarding ignition on my cr and richening fuel / air mixture a tad
  19. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The comment about using Toluene is the correct way to go if you are going to add anything to increase octane. I believe Toluene has an octane rating of ~110 so if you are starting at 94 and want to get to 100 you would need your fuel to be 40% Toluene. Octane boosters can only increase octane level in a similar ratio. When octane boosters claim to raise octane say 4 points when used as directed, a point is 1/10th of an octane. The trouble with many octane boosters is when mixed at high levels the other ingredients can be hard on things like fuel lines, O-rings, etc depending on the composition of the item. Toluene is the best way to go if you choose that route. Trouble is that Toluene is pretty expensive in its own right.
    K.Forte' and Xcuvator like this.
  20. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    I had a plating issue and is solved the Walt way :thumbsup:
    (again big thanks for that)

I also have the detonation issue and no way a possible source of advanced fuel

The only thing that is left for me is modifying the head as 2 base gaskets does not help to eliminate the detonation

which will happen next week (just back from holiday)

Robert-Jan