1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 165 starting technique

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Aviduser, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Love the motor, but starting is a bit of a pain.

Usually 5+ kicks cold, 3+ kicks warm. With the lectron as far as I'm concerned the jetting is near perfect. Motor has only 5 hrs on it.

When kicking typically I'll only cycle the motor once. Then I really put some effort into it, and can cycle the motor 2-3 times. Doing this usually takes a few kicks before it finally lights up.

Just to say again, I love the motor. Great power delivery, but I miss the one stab start up of the 125. Just looking to see if there's anyway do start this baby up a little more efficiently.
    gots_a_sol likes this.
  2. gots_a_sol Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR177
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 250RR
    Mine has been a pain to start cold also (even more so now that the temps are dropping). Once it is up to temp though it still is a 1 kick job to restart.
  3. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    Not really worrying in my opinion but you might check your plug an the gap on the plug

mine does start normally within 3 kicks from cold and 1 kick when warm

Robert-Jan
  4. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

As long as compression is good it's not the motor that's giving you fits but it is the carb settings or your technique.

On a standard carb you need the pilot, air screw and amount of throttle twist while kicking just right to get the best start. With a lectron you need the needle, idle and throttle twist while kicking just right to get a good start. On my lectron equipped bikes I usually find that the needle is rich if it's not starting easy. Also practice the amount you twist the throttle in various situations to get a proper start, if your rich you need to twist more, if Your lean you might not need to twist at all.

Make sure the clutch isn't dragging either.
    Motosportz likes this.
  5. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    I've found that starting this motor in gear, is a no-go. I always have to click to neutral and give several firm hard kicks.

As far as the lectron being rich, maybe a tad. A half turn lean and it's surging. Who knows maybe its a weak ground/spark. I checked the connections today and they don't look too bad.

Again, can't say this enough. The motor is fantastic.
  6. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine starts in gear. Use a good synthetic oil and make sure it's good and warm. You might have some other electrical issue, what heat range plug are you using?
  7. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    Mine starts first kick from cold 99.9% of the time from cold and one or two stabs with the clutch pulled in if I stall it or fall off.
    The only suggestion I can think of is to make sure the kick starter is as far rotated clockwise as it will go as a spline back makes mine a little harder to start first kick
    If mine dosnt start first kick from cold I then give it a kick with around 1/4 throttle and away she goes.
  8. Durruti Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 SM 610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    None!
    Up your idle rpm a bit if it's low, use choke when cold, don't throttle at all.
    Good gas and a new spark may help too.

That's how my 2 stroke ktm used to start one kick. ;)
  9. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Your 165 starts just like mine. I have lately been cycling the kicker a few times before giving it a real kick, which seems to help. I also like to lean against a tree.
  10. surfingboyo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR165XC
    i keep losing the kick starter bolt... :(
  11. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

When cold with the lectron I do just like dfeckel. Cycle it through a couple of times slowly and then give it the gusto. If it doesn't start first kick, apply the choke and kick with no throttle. This takes two or 3 kicks at most. If you are having to apply throttle then you are probably a 1/4 turn rich. Mine always starts first kick once warm. I can start it in gear once warm but it takes a solid kick not the usual quick stab I use when it is in neutral.

It is probably a carb setting issue as TNT says but definitely check your grounds on the coil.
    Motosportz likes this.
  12. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 2008 cr165 would start in second gear hot 99 % of the time with lectron. It was great for the dead engine start at are local enduro races and was almost like cheating.
  13. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    typically don't give any throttle when starting. I did just check the coil ground, cleaned it up anyway but it looked good.

I have had a few issues with the bike not starting on me. It seemed like the wiring connector going to the stator was giving me prob's. I've taped/heatshrinked it up now.

Just noticed I can start the bike without choke, its about 10* here, maybe I'll try leaning out a 1/4 turn.
  14. Drtrider82 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 CR125 with WB165; 13 TC250
    Mine starts 2nd or 3rd time cold and if I give it a healthy amount of throttle almost wide open , starts 1st kick in gear or out with not a lot of effort on the kickstarter.