1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 165, trying to pull the trigger

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Aviduser, Jul 24, 2013.

1. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    I've thought about the 165 kit off and on for the last few months.

I've researched quite a bit but still have a couple concerns.

I know the motor is a low-mid beast apparently. Does it pull straight through to the top though? Is it anything like it's former self as a 125?

With the 200sx pipe is there an issue with the kickstart hitting the pipe? kind of a minor detail.

Really hard to decide as I have grown quite accustomed to the power delivery on my bike. The motor only holds me back on really gnarly loamy hills with switchbacks.

The lectron has made a big difference on the stock motor. The other option is to just get a fmf fatty, and maybe a used 144 kit later on.

I'm 28 only like 170 with gear. I've ridden husky 125's for over 4 years, and I find 250f's boring after 10 minutes.

Thanks
  2. steadydirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 2002 wr 250 1994 wxe 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    fj 1100 cb500 cb350 rt 200 xs 650
    Have you tried a cr250 husky?
  3. Idacurt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 WB177
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 175
    I'm just like you and really like the 125 just as it is.I did do gears,lectron, a fatty and the bike runs awesome.I had the opportunity in the last few weeks to ride a new ktm 300 and 350 and was also bored after a short time.
    Aviduser likes this.
  4. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    Much improvement from the fatty?
  5. sabortooth No Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11uptite167
    I think the 165 is supposed to have the top that the 167 was missing. With the Lectron my 167 hit more top than I thought possible.
  6. Aviduser Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 cr 165
    No, I haven't tried a cr 250. I've ridden a ktm 300 for 15 min's.

The ktm had a ton of power of course. But the only place I thought it was better was on logging roads. I ride tight singletrack 90% of the time.
    jmetteer likes this.
  7. R-J van Hulst Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125 + 40 = WB 165 and a SM165
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CB 400 Vtec 3
    The 165 combo is extreme luggable machine even more then the 125 trim which is already impressive
    The 165 goes lower in rpm and keeps on moving then my crf450x for example
    For a single track use it makes things just easier without loosing the small bore experience. ( you get more time to focus on your riding technique which makes you a better rider eventually)
    Biggest difference is the use of the clutch lever ( you hardly use it on the ride) as you control mainly with the throttle

regarding the fatty of the 165 the kick starter doesn't touch when everything is good aligned but if your kick starter is a bit worn out it might touch.
    if you have a little bit of refrigeration pipe insulation material put it around your kick starter at the point where it eventually could hit the pipe and your fine it last

Robert-Jan
  8. dunc Husqvarna
    AA Class

2007 cr125, turned into a FBF 133 head with PC Platnium pipe. Not much down low but mid to high was a rocket. Time for a top end so in went the 165 kit, 200 FMF pipe (PWK carb).
    Bike now has the low end that was missing before, does not rev up as fast mid to top but from the low end has way more power (torque) all the way up, still a rocket now with an added booster!!!
    Single track killer. Had a run against a new Gas Gas 300 two weeks ago, never even saw his wheel. Kickstand clears the pipe. CR way better than the WR for ignitions!

Wife's bike, my main ride is a YZ250 set up for the woods, it is never boring and is faster.
  9. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 2008 cr 165 is a single track weapon which it proved to me again today at billings montana riding with guys with 500 2 stroke with extended swingarm bikes (great guys buy the way) I did not do all the uphill runs they did which were big but did not bad and after we were done riding I let them in on the 165 I was running and they were wondered how a 125 could pull gears like my bike was doing. It's a great set up for a do it all bike it will not make the power of a 250 2 stroke or a 450 4 srtoke but way more than 125 2 stroke or 250 four stroke and still light as 125. I like to ride a bike hard and not have the bike ride me hard and that is what bigger bore bike do to me. Just buy it you will not regret it and they still rev out high like a 125 does.