1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1972 WR250 the beginning

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by motorick, Jun 20, 2024.

1. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Nice pile of the remains of a 1972 WR250 Husky for $200. PO had built 2 out of a pile parts and passed the remains to me. 3 tanks! (the late model is for sale! ). The cylinder is bad (is there a liner or replacement one out there?) Missing the Fesma Flyweel, carb, rear wheel, seat, etc., etc., Good project for 2024

pic01.jpg 38EDBB12-5766-4E98-85DF-FF89F066B351.jpeg F006D7D7-1037-4B4B-803B-00015ED9CC33.jpeg
  2. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Wow, I got 4 cylinder studs removed today! On former projects this has been a huge struggle. Now to get the cases vaper blasted : )
  3. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Nothing exciting to report ... still derusting & cleaning parts. Was excited to see that the pegs were Webco aftermarkets : ). May have found a 5 speed splined gearbox shaft !
  4. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    My impression of your original post was to sell some parts you acquired but I see I was wrong. Your two recent posts look like you're looking to restore your pile of parts.

I've seen reference on here to having these old cylinders re-sleeved with custom a made sleeve. I think LA Sleeve was one place mentioned. Do some searching on here.

The Webco after market pegs sound cool, and the 5 spd spline shaft will make it easier to find sprockets. Unfortunately non of the tanks pictured are for the WR. Thats not to say they won't fit, just won't look stock.

Heres a place for parts. Possibly even a cylinder if you ask Jef.
    https://www.vintagehusqvarnaparts.be/parts/
  5. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Thx Crash. Going w/ the smaller tank, but had hoped the other was original : (

Struggled to get the bearing off the crank arm, but finally got it!

Attached Files:

6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wow, the crank counter weights look a bit pitted, rust maybe? Hope the big end bearing is okay. Should be alright for a putt putt bike. The ignition stub shaft seal surface looks very good, can't see enough of the primary stub to tell its seal surface condition, rest of it looks pretty good too.

Keep the pics coming.
  7. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    No real progress to report, but I have been gathering some bits for it. I have a nice pair of black leg forks (originals have badly pitted chrome), ordered some DC plastic rear fenders for it, first cleaning of the small metal tank, and refinished some of the smaller pieces. Project came w/ a 400 front wheel that I need to restore. Hoping to make better progress later this month (famous last words : )
  8. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Some progress! Found a better set of fork tubes so they should be assembled shortly. Still gathering many missing bits :banghead:

B89E0D02-A2DC-41EB-AD68-275C81640EBF_1_105_c.jpeg
  9. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Frame is looking good. A proper resto' takes time whether its locating parts, finding the time or money. Main thing is to find enjoyment in it.
    DeathFromAbove, redman and motorick like this.
  10. motorick Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400 CR, 1987 250 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1973 Norton Commando
    Well, I cheated and found a complete '72 CR 250 engine. It's together (yeah!) with cylinder. Piston and bore need a redo (hopefully just +1 over). Yesterday I tried to remove the countershaft sprocket nut with absolutely no luck. Might just be leaving it in place ....

Attached Files:

11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Keep in mind that its lefthand threads. I've never had a problem getting the nut off but the tapered shaft sprocket is another story. :o
    motorick and DeathFromAbove like this.
  12. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    I agree, I've had a few sprockets go 12GA BANG!!!
    motorick likes this.