1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

1980 390WR Almost Done........

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 390wr Jon, May 23, 2018.

1. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    It definitely takes me a little longer than most to get a project done (too many pokers in the fire), but I fired up my 1980 390WR for the first time tonight after tinkering with it for the past year and a half. It has all the power that I remember it having.

I bought it new in 1980, did some NETRA enduros and put it away in the mid-1980s until a few years ago.

Hoping to do some upcoming NETRA vintage hare scrabbles if I can get the starting down more easily (I have had to bump start it to get started) and I need to verify the shifting is working properly (1st gear seems higher than I remember and I can't seem to get it past 3rd gear).

The Cafe Husky forum has been invaluable to me during the restoration and I will likely post a few more questions if I can't fix the starting and shifting issues.

Here is a photo from 1980 (....wish I knew what I did with that Husky jersey, not that it would fit....) and completed post restoration photos from this past weekend.

img412 (2).jpg May 2013 iPhone Photos 212.JPG May 2013 iPhone Photos 211.JPG May 2013 iPhone Photos 210.JPG
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    cool result, fantastic that you have the same bike...so many of us are still kicking ourselves for flogging them 30 y ago:mad:
    2premo likes this.
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    You may find your shifting issue to be a missing pin in your shift drum and depending on whether your 1st gear is 1st or really 2nd, you may find the shift clocking off. Start by removing the clutch cover and checking the end of the shift drum, If the washer on the end is missing, a pin may be as well
    Baddaddeo and 2premo like this.
  4. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    Jimspac:

I assume you mean washer #68 in the attached Husky parts manual diagram. If so, how is the best way to look for it with the clutch cover off without taking the engine out and splitting the cases (see below photo)? Do I need to take the clutch basket off as well? Just trying to save some work if you can provide greater detail.

Thanks,

Left Case without Clutch Cover 2.jpg Left Case without Clutch Cover 1.jpg

Attached Files:

5. ajcmbrown Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400WR 250WR 07 WR500 430AE 360AE
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 500CR Ducati Multistrada 1200S
    Clutch basket off, no need to split the cases unless there's a pin or washer floating around in the transmission.
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    This symptom is is a classic case of the shifting drum timing being off, what jimspac referred to as the shifting clock. However if the center cases have never been open it would be impossible to suddenly fall out of timing in my opinion, so it must be something else. I can't imagine how the thrust washer on the end of the shifting drum would have fallen off. If a part has broken or somehow fallen off a gear component there would have been shrapnel on the drain plug magnet.

Am I correct in assuming the center cases have never been open?
    And was the gear oil free of metal debris?
  7. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    Here is the update: I did split the cases to replace the seals. The washer at the end of the shift drum gear (Husky manual calls it a linkroller) is installed. I made sure the "step feeder" showed 2 cogs visible to left and 1 cog to right of link roller per Husky manual during reassembly.

When I shift, I can only seems to find three gears and more than one "neutral". As such, I assume when I reassembled the cases the timing of the shift drum/ link roller is off. I assume I will have to re-split the cases and rotate the shift drum to a correct position? If so, can someone tell me how to correctly orient the shift drum rotation prior to reassembly? The Husky manual I have is for MK and ML models, not my 1980 MN model. The MK/ML manual looks similar but I want to make sure I get it right.

As always, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  8. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Correct however be sure the shifting drum is in 4th gear at the same time. Also, your 80 trans setup is the same as the ML trans.

Untitled.png

This is the 4th gear shifting drum setup for your trans.
    Untitled b.png
  9. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    Crashaholic - Yes. The step feeder was assembled as shown on your page GA-9 and the shift drum arm was in 4th gear in the middle photo on your GA-10 page manual is how I reassembled it. Now I am now more perplexed/ frustrated than before.
  10. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    The only thing that comes to mind is a guide roller (#37) fell off during assembly or the gear strikers (#34, 35, 36) are not in their proper places. Either one of these could create the symptoms you speak of. At this point I don't know what else it could be.

If it were my engine I'd split the cases again and check that all the parts are in their proper places. I've have to pull motors from the frame and re-opened the center cases more than once because something wasn't right. Its just part of the game.

Untitled C.png
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  11. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    Crashaholic, you are soooo right. Sometimes it take 3,4 or more times. 390wr jon, if you take it apart again use some vaseline to hold those link rollers on the gear strikers, and don't be afraid to float the strikers without the pins to get everything in especially the 3/4 striker. It can be done! Crash helped me get a 6 speed in my 450, a lesson I will never forget.
  12. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    Crash and others, Thanks for the guidance. I know what I'm doing this weekend (splitting cases....). I'll provide an update once I'm done. Thanks again.
  13. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    Crash and Others:

I split the cases and everything looked as it should. All three (3) guide rollers were on the gear strikers. I had to repaint the cases so I took everything out and reassembled it again. So here's what happens when I try to simulate going through the gears by turning the shift drum (link-roller):

When I rotate the shift drum all the way counterclockwise the counter-shaft sprocket shaft is in gear; it turns (I assume 1st gear). I then rotate shift drum clockwise and neutral is fine(counter-shaft sprocket shaft does not turn). However, I only am able to find one gear during the middle of rotating the shift drum clock-wise and one gear when shift drum is all the way counter-clock wise. The counter-shaft sprocket shaft is not engaged (wont turn; like it is in neutral) other than when the drum is all way clockwise or counter-clockwise and a location somewhere in the middle of drum rotation.

I assume having the engine on its side in a engine stand would not effect shifting simulation but I think I have faithfully reassembled it correctly. I don't know if the following pictures are sufficient for review. Needless to say I am at wits end trying figure out what is wrong or if in fact the re-assembly is correct. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

IMG_1470.JPG IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1465.JPG IMG_1463.JPG
  14. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Gear strikers look correct although my experience is with pre 77 six speeds so I could be wrong. Someone familiar with the 80 6 spd will check out the thread soon and confirm their placement.

I don't see the ratchet arm assembly in the pics (parts 63, 64, 65). Was it in place when you clicked through the gears? Gear placement won't be exact without it.

The only other thing that comes to mind is a couple of gears are out of place. At any time have all the gears and washers been removed from the shafts and if so are we sure they're currently in the correct order?
  15. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Also, keep in mind that when you're bench shifting the trans won't shift smoothly. You'll need to coax it by wiggling either the clutch or counter shaft while working the shift mechanism, especially if the center cases are not together.
    DeathFromAbove and DaveM like this.
  16. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    Crashaholic - I kept the gears and washers/ spacers intact. I didn't install the ratchet arm during bench shifting simulation, but the other gear engagement is definitely not there.

Yes, I had to wiggle the countershaft during the bench shifting simulation but I am only finding three gears. The three gear and multiple neutrals is the same thing that was happening when I began riding it after restoration.

I must have done something wrong during reassembly but everything looks right according to the parts manual and my original pre-disassembly photos that I took.
  17. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Jon, can you see the dimples for the old style detent on the bottom of the shift drum? They should be towards the crank. Also the allen bolt on the top for the ratchet arm cam looks tall. This is the 6 speed in my 450, maybe you can see something different from yours. Is your spring and detent under the shift wheel? Maybe your shift wheel is upside down.[IMG]
  18. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Go to Beaver Creek Cycles, Customer Corner, they have the parts list for this bike. It should help you to figure it out. I had some worn dogs and windows that felt like neutral, I smoked my shift fork.
  19. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    That 6-spd with the shifting mechanism out of the mag engine sure looks nice sitting inside that 72 450.

[IMG]
    DeathFromAbove and oldbikedude like this.
  20. 390wr Jon Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 Husqvarna 390WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 BMW R100RS
    Crashaholic, I put the ratchet arm assembly on the shift drum and bingo....I can find all the gears. It's hard to believe the ratchet arm is so precise as compared to trying to find the gears by rotating the shift drum (even very carefully) without the ratchet arm. I'll give an update once reassembled and running. Many thanks to everyone for your help.