1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 1993 WXC 360

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by KHarrison, Dec 8, 2012.

1. KHarrison Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, and a proud new owner of a 93 WXC 360. Out runnin the dunes today the bike over heated and blew a hole in the piston. I was wondering if there were any mods i can do to the engine while it is torn down to make it run cooler at loser speeds. Thanks
    IMG_0520.JPG 108_2486.JPG
    beelineWR360 and bud7041 like this.
  2. KHarrison Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    WXE I apologize
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    first thing to look at is jetting, lean is mean but at a price, sand is hard work for a 2 stroke
    second timing is also important too much lead will do damage
    was your pump working correctly and were the radiators full
    and lastly there are special coolants that help a bit
  4. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    by the way nice bike I have the WXC model
    what rotor guard do you have, I need one
  5. KHarrison Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    The pumps are working great and there doesnt seem to be an issue timing. I had a family friend look at it before i ran it, he used to build some of baddest race bikes around so i trust him on that. I dont believe that it is lean because the previous owner was not a racer, he just liked to cruse but i will check that, thank you.

I dont know much about the plastic or rotor guard, this is how i purchased the bike, but i have the original one and they look the same so it might just be an aftermarket guard in a different color.

Overall though i love the bike, it runs great in the sand and im keepin up with all the old school guys on cr's and yz's shootin the hills

Thanks for the tips
  6. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is one nice looking 93 husky.
  7. TARKaw Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '92 WXC360
    Other Motorcycles:
    '03 KLX300, 07 KLX250s
    That is a good looking 360. Sorry to hear about the piston. I can't help with a reason but I can tell you that I was recently at MotoXotica getting some tips from Dan on my new to me '92 360WXC and he mentioned that one of the typical failures was that they eat pistons, blow holes in them actually. Said it was common and to plan on doing a piston when I would normally do rings (or so) depending on riding conditions, like sand I would guess.

So it may just have been its time and not any particular setup, although checking the things mentioned by others is a good first step.

Troy
  8. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    If you are blowing holes in piston's then it's running too lean and on those 93 360's, the best medicine is to ditch the dellorto and swap it with a TMX or Keihin carb.
    I've had my 96 for over 14 years and never eaten pistons like a 250...over 150hrs on one piston and I could've done just rings and it was probably good for another 40 hrs - wossner piston!
    PS KHarrison - if the previous owner was a non racer than it's probably one the lean side - racer's typically have them jetted pretty rich.
  9. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I agree. Blowing holes in pistons has little to do with cooling. Jetting, ignition timing, plug heat range and compression are the main reasons for blowing holes in pistons. It's all about combustion chamber heat and the best cooling system in the world can't fix that.

First thing to look at in your case is jetting. And I second the switch from the Dellorto. There's a good reason you don't see them around anymore.
    ohmygewd likes this.
  10. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    Wow man that is awesome. I have a 92.

Love the yellow frame, polished swing arm and yellow front and back guards. Looks quite modern!

I just cant get mine to run properly so I am rebuilding the engine ground up ready for transplant into the 300.

I will put a late model barrel on it though.

Stu
  11. ohmygewd Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13'Berg FE350, 96'WR360, 01 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia RSV1000
    Still having problems Stu?

I maybe heading over to SA over the Xmas break..should call in with my keihin and a few slides/jets and sort ya bike out?
    icebergstu likes this.
  12. KHarrison Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    I've got a top end kit coming in tomorrow for it, hoping to get it put together and tune it this weekend. It has a keihin on it already so I'm gonna go ahead and check the jetting on it.
    Thanks for all the help
  13. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    Yes I am...

Cant get it to run up top at all and these early ones are weapons compared to post 95

I will pay you with beer...

Stu
  14. marcmo0 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ250
    I have the stock Mikuni carb off of my 09 300 if you want to swap out carbs. I could sell it cheap. I took it off right after I bought the bike and put on the Keihin and thought I would hang onto it. Its been in a box in the garage since. Only thing is that I took the curved cable router off the top to use on my bike. PM me if interested. Good luck getting it all sorted out. Good looking bike.
  15. KHarrison Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    Does anybody know the proper compression for this bike? I have it back to together but it does not seem to have the same compression that it had