2 new fuel filter possibilities for '08-'10 EFI bikes

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by OlderHuskyRider, Sep 27, 2012.

1. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    These filters can be used with the big block bikes, not necessarily the xlites for 2010.

Duralast FF3330DL has 5/16" nipples on both ends, with flares to keep the fuel pressure from offing the hoses, and is a very small filter, have your auto store do a cross check and you may find other manufacturers of this size of filter

[IMG]

Duralast FF3424DL also has 5/16" nipples on both ends, and is bigger that the 3330 filter
    [IMG]

Edelbrock 40 micron aluminum housing, stainless screen inside that is replaceable/cleanable, used 2 adapters to get a 5/16" nipple on each end, thus preserving my existing 5/16" submersible fuel line. I have put about 50 miles on this filter and the bike is running great.

[IMG]

[IMG]

The next one, I think BrandonTX found, the Ducati filter is $30 but it's probably worth it, since it is designed to be motorcycle/EFI specific.

[IMG]
    http://www.motocorsaitaliano.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=63
    Tinken, Mik-3, Aaron8 and 1 other person like this.
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Thanks!

I need to pick up some hose and do this.

I have a spare "intermittent" pump in my spares box.

Do you have the link to the hose?
  3. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Submersible fuel line

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/GAT0/27093.oap?pt=N0887&ppt=C0222

http://www.gates.com/brochure.cfm?brochure=5091&location_id=541

[IMG]

Submersible Fuel Line Hose
    Ordinary fuel line hose is designed to handle fuel on the inside only. The
    Submersible Fuel Line Hose Exceeds the SAE 30R10 rating and is capable of
    handling gasoline, alcohol-extended gasoline or diesel fuel in fully immersed,
    mobile, stationary and marine applications.
    • Engineered for constant contact with gasoline (and other liquid petroleum
    distillates) on the inside and the outside.
    • Meets the SAE 30R10 specification for submersible fuel line hose applications.
    • Fluoroelastomer (FKM) tubed cover resists gas permeation and retards aging.
    • Aramid Fiber reinforcement—the same fiber used in bulletproof vests and is
    pound-for-pound stronger than steel.
    Tinken and Mik-3 like this.
  4. trackguy3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 525; Honda CRF150, XL125, CL77
    That Edelbrock filter looks to good to hide in the tank. The size looks like it will fit even later model bikes. I just tried the Ducati filter on a 2011 TE250 and it's just a smidge to big to fit down the filler opening, so that's a no go on later bikes. I seem to recall the later bikes had a different tank.
  5. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I am back to using the paper element Duralast filters, because they filter smaller bits than the steel-meshed Edelbrock filter, they come in a small and medium size, $6 at the auto store, I was having some electrical problems as well as a leaking head gasket, and I always seemed to be ready to blame the fuel filter, so......anyway, the Duralast filters have been working great even though I maligned them for a while.

[IMG]
  6. trackguy3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 525; Honda CRF150, XL125, CL77
    I'm actually trying out the Edelbrock filter on my 2011 TE250. Unlike the Ducati filter it fits into the tank. Granted the 2011 and later bikes feature a less compact set up, so things are pretty tight. Once the adapter barbs are added to the filter it's pretty bulky, which required shortening the hose going to the pump by about an inch (when compared to the original hose's length). After installed, I wasn't all that happy with the severity of the bend in the hose where it leaves the filter but it seems to work fine.

I plan to try this out for a while, but a shorter and more compact overall size may be a better solution for the later bikes. I just found another possible solution from the folks at KTMTalk. It's called the Golan Mini Fuel Filter. Similar in design to the Edelbrock filter, it also includes the barbs as part of the housing so no adapters are needed. This will make for a shorter overall length which will improve the fit and lessen the severity of the hose bends. You can see it at http://www.golanproducts.com/filters.html Check out model 60-312C 5/16 Barbed Fittings.

In the meantime, I have a new Ducati filter if anyone is interested!
  7. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    I saw that one, I liked it, but I'm too cheap....

[IMG]
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    UPDATE: I am still using the Duralast FF3330DL, my bike has 17,000 miles on it now, most of those miles done with the FF3330 filter. AND now I am using a 100% auto pump, the most commonly used pump in the Toyota line-up.

[IMG]
  9. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I would not recommend purchasing this filter. The Golan fuel filter shown in the above picture actually disintegrates around the edges and will clog a fuel injector. This happened to us at the GlenHelen 24hr and cost us our race.
    268fords, OlderHuskyRider and ray_ray like this.
  10. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

So does Zip Ty have a filter for sale yet?
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We are close to producing a product, need more testing. Definitely would not buy Golan product, just a poor design. Also, we are a dealer for Cacycleworks and will be retailing their 30mm 60psi fuel pumps.
    XLEnduroMan and OlderHuskyRider like this.
  12. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    ^ I have been wonder the same thing recently, if ZTR has a filter kit available. We have two '08's that surly could use new filters.
  13. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Well, as soon as Ty and I can agree to a filter, I'll let you know :D