1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2 Stroke back pressure

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by machstar57, Jun 23, 2013.

1. machstar57 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1993 WXC 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    KAWASAKI KDX
    How will the amount of back pressure from the exhaust affect the performance of a 2 stroke?
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Less back pressure tends to improve low end response, more improves top end. And that's a pretty generic explanation.
  3. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    "Back pressure" is sort of an outdated/vague term. 2-strokes (and 4 strokes, although in different ways) depend on waves bouncing and resonating inside the chamber, so the static pressure in an exhaust is not the complete picture.

There are lots of "urban legends" about "backpressure" with regard to 4-stroke performance (more backpressure means more low-end torque, etc), but the reality is that it's not really backpressure that is having an effect, it's wave scavenging. Static backpressure is almost always a bad thing...
    Zomby woof and sabortooth like this.
  4. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    I agree, but my reference is totally based on 2 stroke and "stinger" size. But, as you stated, it's really it's effect in scavenging. The term "backpressure" is very generic, loosely used term from way back in time. When that phrase was coined, people didn't really understand what was going on and simplified it to the term "backpressure".

I thought I understood what he meant by his general question, hence the "generic explanation" disclaimer on the end.