1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2000 cr125

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by luvwoods, Jan 19, 2011.

1. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Gang,

I am looking to upgrade my 15 year old son to a 2000 CR125 and I'm looking for your thoughts, opinions, advice. He's raced motocross and is a very capable woods rider so he's interested in something that can do both competently. I've read lots of posts here about the CR125's and how much their owners like them but I haven't been able to find anything on a 2000 model.

What's the good, bad and ugly? How is maintenance, reliability, stock and aftermarket parts availability? He wants to try harescrambles so will the power delivery and suspension be too harsh for that? What about general woods riding when we goof around together?

I'm sure we'll have to make some tweaks and that's okay; just looking for some good all-around advice.

Thanks.
  2. oldmx Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 WR-360.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 KTM 505
    I purchased a 2001 CR-125 two years ago that had no work done to it since new. I road it almost every weekend, did a 5 hour enduro on it and basically just cleaned the air filter and changed the engine oil. I did have LTR go through the suspension since I am over 200 pounds and the setup is steller. I may replace the piston this year but compression is still great after 10 years.

Hall's, and others can get both OEM and aftermarket parts for the bike and I know that IMS did or still does make a larger tank for it since I have one. I would not hesitate to purchase another one.

Mike
  3. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I got a 1998 model new and still have it. I upgraded to 1999 forks and clamps from a guy who had his cr 125 "grenade". I had an issue with the power valves themselves. They are aluminum and are actuated with a steel rod which goes through an aluminum section about 3/8 inch in diameter. That aluminum portion of the power valve fails. Mine made vzzz noises and I was trying to determine at idle what was going on and it went clunk and stopped. I got another power valve and then decided to get the other one which didn't break. I was told I got an improved version but it seems I was really sold the same part that broke. They kept the part number but made the portion I am calling 3/8 inch diameter larger. (or so I read on the internet) The power valves never clogged like the brand x I have. I would recomend inspecting the portion of the powervalve I type about which needs to have the cylinder removed. Mine broke a kick starter return spring on the first tank of gas and had to have a shift shaft part replaced early like the other guys who bought them and entered the same events but after that it has been trouble free. Whether you consider the design life has been exceeded by the amount of years since new is your call.

Fran
  4. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for the feedback. Anyone else able to contribute??
  5. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

The 2000 frame geometry was good and is a very stable package. Husky made some minor changes in 2002 to quicken up the steering a little but they didn't really change it again until 2009. Suspension isn't great stock but can be made to work well. It is pretty much the same motor that is in the current bike except the cylinder has been upgraded in the cr in 2008(the new cylinder will bolt up). I like the seat/tank/plastic of the 2000-2004 husky's. Larger tank that carries the weight lower. The CR in 2000 might have only a 2.2 gallon tank but the WR tank from then is a direct bolt up and is 2.9 gallons. Brakes don't match the current brakes that are phenomenal.