1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

250-500cc 2000 WR360 Starting Issues

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by livetoride44, Dec 26, 2013.

1. livetoride44 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 WR 360, 2014 TE 300
    Guys,

Have had this bike for about a year now. Hasn't given me any real issues up until recently. It has always been hard to start (10-15 kicks) and I realize this is not normal. Lately the bike takes many more kicks, to the point where I am exhausted and have to take a break. Just a note, there is no decompression head on it either. Once the bike is running it has no issues. I have tried many things to correct this problem and have gotten nowhere. The carb is totally rebuilt and clean. Also looks to have the correct jets in it and have it adjusted well. The idle is high enough for the bike to start and idle. So far I don't see a problem with that. The gas mixture is perfect. New plug and coil installed. Just wondering if anyone can educate me on the stator and how it effects the starting of the bike. Maybe I have a bad stator? Are they common to go on these bikes? Also, I don't know much about the seals on the crankcase and how that effects the bike running and starting? Can anyone enlighten me? Maybe I have bad seals? Any help would be appreciated!

Matt
  2. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    Compression test? Check reed valves? I had main seals go on a 250 and the only symptom was that it smoked like something performing at an air show as it was sucking the tranny oil into the crank.
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    my 99 360 was doing the same thing, mine got worse, when it got hot it was almost impossible to start, tried typical jetting etc
    replaced the stator and flywheel, bike runs fine
  4. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    Make sure you use the TDC approach in your kick tho too. Example video.

5. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    the person is using a kickstand as a starting aid, BAD idea
  6. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    two big problems here, using the kickstand is a bad idea as a starting aid, it is meant to support the bike when not being ridden
    a good friend used his on a KTM and found himself on his side and having to carry his stand back, I recommend using a different cold start method, before you ride anything you do a look over I use a stand to hold the bike and check bearings spokes etc., after you take the bike off it's a handy height to start you bike from and VERY durable
    2nd the 1st post began with
    "Have had this bike for about a year now. Hasn't given me any real issues up until recently. It has always been hard to start (10-15 kicks) and I realize this is not normal. Lately the bike takes many more kicks, to the point where I am exhausted and have to take a break."
    this would indicate at one time it started easier, so it seems there is an issue that has nothing really to do with method, now on that note when I was out in the middle of nowhere having to ascend hills that require self power and not towing, the bike would not start and friends all tried their "magic methods" I would do the unthinkable, brace yourselves, kick in a really violent multiple method I found once you got the high compression engine moving you could kick again very quickly and it would start by the 4th or 5th swift kick, this tells me that the ignition has an issue because after changing to two other carbs, cleaning the power valve, checking the reeds and intake manifold nothing helped, oddly I had a spare ignition and figured why not, so a good friend replaced it for me and it started 2nd kick
    now when someone posts about a hard starting issue I recommend the typical maintenance issues be resolved 1st, carb. intake, reeds, power valve, spark plug and spark plug cap
    and the 360 is a heck of a lot harder to kick than the 300
    my "magic method" is easy, turn on fuel, put on gear, engage fuel enrichener (choke), hold kill button cycle through two slow kicks, find TDC and kick it like you meant it, typically starts on the first kick sometimes requires second kick

nobody take this personal but we all have our methods and these are mine,
    I approve this ad :D
  7. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    like 2 premo but not advocating stand, spark plug cap if your jettings sorted the resistors brake down
    make sure the spark gap is right too .65 -.45 i think my 360 is. ohh and replace the ht lead too if in any doubt. 10-15 kicks aint right.
  8. shrubitup Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '00 TE610 (pretty much a WXE610)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg FE450, KTM 200EXC, Triumph
    many many kicks could also be low compression. suggest compression test. resolution if low is to replace piston/rings.