1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2001 wr250 tunning

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by deepseadiver22, Nov 2, 2012.

1. deepseadiver22 Husqvarna
    A Class

I recently bought a real nice 01 wr250 . The engine power was hard hitting in the mid top was good bottom lugged good It has a pc pipe and silencer i wish i had the stock stuff. I ride rocky hilly greasy well just plain nasty stuff in johnstown pa . thats were the hit was not very good . I have rode older ktms 02 back they are great bikes to tune . adjustable timing pv springs played alot and learned alot with different settings. Im a big believer in lots of testing and ride and feel methods testing back to back same day conditions .
    The first thing was to get it jetting situated 5 gallons of fuel good to go. The tmx carb is awsome to tune the jet nozzle is changeable 4 to 9 numbers i have a 5 nozzle 27 pilot 470 main and some real lean needle sunco has them its like a 6 . I had the bike running real clean great roll on i could put for a long time and not load up but the hit was real strong to strong for woods here open stuff no problem . i do alot of testing on hills that are steep in the woods with wet leaves roots loose rocks well its all rocks here logs etc . I make my own trails just vere off in the woods .I like a bike to lug up hill almost trial style when it wet muddy etc.
    I was running the stock br8eg plug its a fine wire plug i was have pinging issue. I have a very long steep hill balls out hill that puts a very strong load on the engine only did it ping and lost power there . I tried a b8es pinging issues solved Plug tunning heat ranges affect power big time . The br8eg fine wire runs hotter than the b8es. i will try a br9eg later . Read up on plug heat ranges and tunning it works . I liked to retard the timing it can help.
    Still had the hit issue i wanted to control . First I shimmed the power valve spring 1mm it helped . then i made a progressive spring set up an outer and inner it can be done real easy . thumb and forefinger pressure test . I have a bunch of parts here had alot of projects here and lots of leftover stuff. Well my design worked even better the low to mid was alot more controllable . The bike tracked straighter in loose stuff etc. I was still not satisfied . I happed to have a couple of power valve governors one was from a 05 kx 250 the spring was softer so it worked great with the inner spring. The ball and ramp on the wr was real flat not much of a curve big balls bearings 4 of them so it ramped up vast and quick which equals hard hit pv opening fast spring set up slowed it down. The ball and ramp and balls on the kx will fit on the wr governor shaft I used the kx pv ramp it has a steep angle smaller balls it open up the pv in a better linear transition .
    I have the mid hit alot smother the power is coming together nice and smooth . I have some almost imposable test sections for tuning also i tune with bad worn tires Im looking for traction Thats always my main goal . Im sure a different pipe would work but you can tune around them . Well the bike is a big improvement. I have the wide semi wide 5 speed it will have a 6 speed in the future i have a 360 motor just for that . first is the same as the cr husky tall first stuff. but love the wide 2 3 and 5 . Gearing changes are a big plus for terrain.
    Im happy with my results but decided to take it to another level the ignition system . i want the stock stator or lighting out put so the cr is out but there was alot more options with that one. The wr360 and wr 250 cdi have different part numbers but look the same pretty basic analog system . The 360 had bottom end mid then went flat retart the timing it gave it some more top .. well i have a 99 wr360 cdi I just plugged it in the wr250 it was a big change alot more grunt the mid was alot nicer top end aliitle less so i retarded the timeing and that was the magic ticket that i was looking for . For power wise . I will get a stock pipe or gnarly and start my changle all over again lol Any question just ask Im not a typing major speller writer so i give myself a f for all the critics out there .