2004 CR 125 Purchase & Ride Report

Discussion in 'Get togethers - Reports' started by smadams68, Feb 3, 2015.

1. smadams68 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Picked up the bike a few months ago in pretty good shape all considering. Tires dry cracked and bald, bars bent, front end twisted, chain and sprockets toast, air filter crumbling and black, fork seals leaking, heavily oxidized plastics etc. However, other than typical replacement items and components subject to wear it looked pretty good.

We all have different interests, skill levels, ride different terrain, so a little about me. I’m 46 years old, 215lbs naked (with beer gut), 6’1” tall. I like tall bikes, tall bars, tall/soft seats and a roomy cockpit. I spend a lot of time setting up my bikes, my current and primary ride is an Aluminum frame YZ 250 set-up for woods with rekluse Pro, re-sprung and revalved suspension, 18” wheel, trials tire, etc, (it’s an absolute tractor an pulls like crazy). I ride in the Ozarks with my favorite places being (Hardwood Hills, Chadwick, and the trails at Soggy Bottom MX). It's all rough, rocky, hilly, off-camber, and slow going trails. I don’t race, but speed wise I’m a middle of the pack C rider (that’s until my stamina falls off which is early if in race mode) then I suffer/survive.

For the Husky 125 I picked up my usual KTM/Suzuki bend bars (stayed with 7/8”) and cut to 30”, bark-busters, non O-ring chain, 12/50 gearing, new knobbies, heavy tubes, brake pads, and a few other odds and ends that needed repaired or replaced. Disassembled and flushed the forks and valving, new 5W oil (air space to factory specs), and seals. Did nothing to the shock other than set the spring at 8mm preload. Never checked the sag (I had a pretty good notion that with my 215lbs naked the results would not be favorable). I presume and saw nothing that gave any indication that the suspension and springs were anything other that standard and stock. Disassembled all suspension linkage and repacked all bearings (sure is nice to have a grease fitting for future upkeep). Rubber O-rings in the carb were shot, jets and float valve looked rough so just bought a rebuild kit for a Honda CR 125 for about $30, jetted the carb to factory specs, two turns out on the air screw, set float to parallel with the bowl flange, and set the idle. Repacked silencer, cleaned all plastics but bought new 05 fenders. Piston looked good through exhaust and the bike had lots of compression, reeds cage looked good, No engine work other than a new intake gasket. Drained and replaced tranny oil, brake fluid, and coolant. Serviced and ready to ride.

ready 1.jpg

Morning of ride was just below freezing so some areas were thawing and slick as the day progressed, while the gravely and leafy trails were perfect. Took a little time to get accustomed to different ergos, adjusting back to a clutch was pretty simple. Obviously the bike does not pull like a well tuned 250 smoker, but it did pull and could grunt. When the bike comes on the pipe, it’s so smooth that’s not an issue. My normal riding is riding a gear high, no wheel spin, and just like the bike pull. Believe it or not this bike would do it, but your not going to be able to lift the front tire. The clutch is a feather and works great, easy to rip and zip, so I did some of that. Climbed several nasty ledge rock hills. You can’t afford to make any mistakes though and without the trials tire, you need to be on your game. The hardest climb for the little bumblebee was a steep hill with few ledges, but heavily rutted with like 2" gravel laid in the bottom. I got off balance a few times, off line, and lost nearly all momentum. The bike was pulling for all it had, I couldn’t get in a position to snap the clutch and I really did not want to break traction, but yet the darn little bike pulled to the top. The more open trails with flow the bike was super fun to ride, you could lug, or rip. Got'r home.

after 1.jpg

Super pumped about how fun this bike was and what was even more baffling is how darn good the stock suspension felt. I have had to re-spring and revalve my last four bikes to first account for my 215lbs. and help with high speed damping (sharp but shallow square edges and roller rocks). Also with my previous bikes (those that were MX, the rear end would not stay planted and straight when on the gas in choppy/loose terrain). I'm not suggesting the stock set-up is ideal for a 215lb rider, but it felt pretty darn good. Time for a clean up.

cleaned up1.jpg

cleaned up3.jpg

I don’t think this little CR will not take the place of my built YZ, but its a keeper for sure and will be my choice for certain rides. Like I said, 215lbs naked, C class speed, and rough and rocky single track. This is not normally a good fit for a stock 125 MX bike, but I can’t imagine any other 125 being much better or any more fun (well maybe Normans new TE 125), but I have only $1500 invested, and an Italian bumble bee to play with. Like Kelly says: its a really narrow bike, narrow tank, carries fuel low and just feels good on the trail.

Thanks to Kelly, Ajax, Norm, Dirt Dame, Wally, Fletchman, and others who have posted their thoughts and ultimately convinced me that I had to try this little 125. Also to Motosportz Mike (http://husqvarnaworld.com) for a quick turn on some parts I ordered, first class communication and customer service.

2. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    Thanks for the report - looks like a good one
    I liked the suspension out of the box on my 125s
    Maybe just go up on spring weights
  3. jimjim Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    gasgas
    Good looking bike,I am from Mo. also.Where is hardwood hills located?
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    just south of Mansfield in Wright county east side of U hwy pretty sure they have a FB page & a www. they go by HHR
  5. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    did you find that around here?
  6. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Nice! Great bike! The '04 CR125 had the 2 biggest Husky threads on TT for a long time. Enjoy it!:oldman:
  7. smadams68 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Yes, and thankfully it was not Jordan's bike that got stolen.
  8. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    was it Spuds?:eek:
  9. smadams68 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Don't think so. I didn't recognize the guy. I know of four people who have a 00-04 2 stoke husky (besides me) in our neck of the woods and there all 125's, the seller wasn't one of them. Had been looking for either 125 or 250 for a long time. All were either too far away, clapped out, or over priced.
  10. Kevin_TE250 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I regret selling mine... :( it would have been a good buddy bike or a bike for my son to ride if he ever shows interest...