1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2004 te510 starting issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by PaddyM, Jul 29, 2024.

1. PaddyM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vespa tx 200, ktm 350excf
    My 510 has 2 chokes on the carb as you know. One for cold start and another for when the engine is warm. The bike will start easy enough when i pull out the black choke and start up but once it's up to temperature and I push the choke back in the engine cuts off. What could be the issue with this ?
    Thanks
  2. Bill502 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 WR167 1978 CR250 1938 sw maus
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 Triumph T100C 1973 Honda TL125
    Pilot Jet could be plugged.I'm not familiar with 4 stroke carbs.but I would guess that the principles would be the same..
    Bill
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Will it keep running with the RPM elevated when the choke is pushed in? If it runs okay above 1/8th throttle then I would say Bill is on the right track with the plugged idle, aka pilot jet diagnoses. If it doesn't run good above 1/8th throttle then there may be an issue with fuel delivery to the carb, or a medium size air leak between the carb and the motor.

You said it had two chokes so I'm assuming it has a red hot start push/pull knob. If so, it may not be closing all the way allowing for an air leak.
    Angsty likes this.
  4. PaddyM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Their are 2 chokes on the carb. Black and red. Black for cold start and red for hot start. If I pull out the Black choke the bike will start. It will idle over but as soon as I push in the Black choke back in it instantly dies. It will not start with the red choke out even when warm. If I start it with the black choke out and hold the throttle open slightly I can push the black choke in and will still run with both chokes in. As soon as I release the throttle it just dies on me.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    The red knob is not a choke. It is the hot start button, and works by leaning out the fuel mixture, in case the motor stalled and flooded. The black nob is the enrichening system (often referred to as a choke, since they do the same thing through different functions), and while it does add more fuel to the incoming fuel charge, it is a separate circuit that bypasses the rest of the carburetor,that draws the fuel a, but not from the pilot circuit. That is why the bike won't idle when you turn the "choke" off. You will need to remove the carb from the bike, take off the float bowl, pull the fuel mixture screw and the pilot jet. you need to blow compressed air through all the pilot circuit passageways, as well as the pilot jet, itself, making sure that you can see daylight through the jet. Do not confuse the idle adjustment with the fuel adjustment screw. Be sure to figure out how many turns out the fuel screw is from bottoming, before you remove it. You will want to have it set that way (usually 2 1/5 to 3 turns) If this seems too confusing or complicated, it is best that you take it to a professional.
    rancher1 and Bill502 like this.
  6. PaddyM Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 te510
    Other Motorcycles:
    So I have solved the issue. I had a tear in the rubber union connecting the carburetor to the cylinder head. Renewed this, cleaned the carb and adjusted the fuel mixture screw.
  7. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Thanks for the follow up, glad too hear you found the problem. Those rubber unions hide defects really well, enough to drive a person nuts! :banghead:
  8. Angsty Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2007 TE 510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha R1