1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc 2008 cr144 high idle on start

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Chef, May 8, 2012.

1. Chef Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 Cr165, 09 Wr165
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 Husaberg FE650, 07 BMW 650 Dakar
    2008 cr144, stock carb. Jetting seems to be set right. When I start it cold w/ choke it goes to a very high idle. If I put it in gear and load the engine it settles down to a proper idle. Once warm there is no problem and it runs and idles fine. Any suggestions? I just find it a little bothersome and I don't like running the engine that fast on initial startup.

Thanks in advance
    K
  2. dirt-dude Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine have always done that.
  3. BCdirtbikegal Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 WR 150
    Other Motorcycles:
    '08 KTM sx50 jr, 08 pw50
    Mine has always done that too on start up with choke
  4. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

if idle hangs up and drops when choke off and bike warm then pilot s too lean

not there to see/hear but
  5. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    mines same 2002 motor with tmx, runs perfect rest of time.
  6. Sthorny Husqvarna
    A Class

There supposed to do that it's what the choke does
  7. pahusky Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 250XC '09 1200GSA KLR650
    Our '09 WR/CR125 did that also...But it ran so well when warmed up I never bothered to chase it down. Really didn't bother me though...
    It just always seemed like it would be hard on the motor to have a high idle when cold...but nothing ever came from it.

All I did was tap the kill switch to keep the idle in check when cold. It wouldn't take long before it would make some heat so the choke could be turned off and all would return to 'normal'...

Attention to detail is good; but I think there's nothing here to worry about!:thumbsup:
  8. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    '09 WR 300, '09 CR 125, '11 CR 150, '12 CR 125/150... all of them do/did the same thing on a cold start with choke.
  9. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Some more than others....my CR125 raced like crazy cold and my Wr250 with keihin idles the same warm or cold. I think the racing cold motors are a bit rich on the bottom.

When I recently dropped the needle on the CR125 the cold racing stopped...I think it was rich on the bottom which caused me to open the idle screw when warm to keep it from stalling. Of course when cold it was not rich so the engine raced until it warmed up. Does not do it so much with a lower needle.

Similar to when your bike runs out of gas...it races.
  10. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hence idle hangin up when throttle blipped means lean pilot...same thing....thinks its running out from what it had before (gas that is)